Old 03-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #46
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Escher View Post
Let me ask you a hypothetical question...

Suppose you found yourself in the absurdly contrived position of being in a room with 100 pretty girls and you could kiss any one of them. Kissing 99 of them carries no consequence whatsoever, but ONE of them is carrying a terrible disease and if you contract it you will die in hideous suffering.

Do you kiss any of them?

Please understand that I am not disagreeing with what you said. I just don't want my concern to be misunderstood.

I'm simply pointing out that risk is a function of multiple variables. Low Risk + High Consequence and High Risk + Low Consequence both produce an undesirable outcome.

It's like homeowner's insurance. Nobody buys it because they REALLY believe their house is going to burn down. They buy it because if it does, they want to be protected.

One last thing...
My concern is really based on the types of cable being used and the implications of their use. I suspect that if there if there is any UTP being used that it is part of something like an RS-232 cable or something similar. Or even higher rate. That's all. If that's not the case then what I said is irrelevant.

Anyway, everyone have a good weekend. I've got to run.
having my experience at sea and boats..and the number of radar cables that I have installed and spliced...your hypothetical is just that...

I was underway today for 10 hours into my annual trip of 2500 miles and then 8 months solid of commercial marine work....how about you?

Plus the number one thin I push here on TF is that recreational boating can be an X-treme sport if you make it or as benign as a friendly game of golf...depends how you approach it...not evey time you get underway is it a mission to Mars.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote