Where do you relax on your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneofSix

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Always Home
Vessel Make
DeFever 47 POC
Hey! We are still researching our boat of choice. So, I have a non-boat owner stupid question.... thought a heads up on how naive we are.... :blush:

We have been aboard boats 37 - 53 feet. The smaller boats have a salon large enough for a table and walkway. No room for really sitting and relaxing other than the built in settee. The boats with sun decks have lawn/patio furniture on them. Good enough for daytime, but not really at night time.

So, for you full-time cruisers, where do you relax at night? We relax at night in our Recliners. Very little room for these in the smaller boats.

Would we have time to "recline"? Is that why there is very little room for such devices? Do you adjust your lifestyle to sitting in the settee for all your TV viewing, reading a book, napping, etc. when not actually moving the boat? When the sun goes down, you go to bed? No need for the extra furniture?

Thanks. Just a bit confused by land vs sea lifestyle change we will be embarking on.

Flybridge when it's nice but if not, the pilothouse where we can watch the world go by. The PO of our boat had 2 recliners in the saloon but we took them out.

Dave

I like hanging in the sundeck and on the bow. Both areas have lots of room. When it is sunny and warm, the bow is the first place!

Flybridge for me too unless it's really bad out, then it's the loveseat in the salon.

I prefer flybridge too. Gives a 360 view of the marina... The bed is nice too :)

We sort of go top to bottom. While it's still nice outside, the bridge. Then to the salon and we do have the ability to stretch out on the sofa. We have reclining sections to it as well. Then often early to bed. We'll retire to our cabin, feel the serenity, talk about the next day, make love, and just glow in the pleasure of life. Then often it's early to sleep as we like to get underway early if moving the following day. Now we are very addicted to computers and somewhat less to television. I know some consider that heresy as boaters. But generally we both have a Tablet computer with us as right now I'm typing on one while waiting for lunch. We look ahead. We share thoughts and ideas. We don't turn to them instead of conversation but we use them as part of it.

When underway, we like to be either on the bridge if weather is good or in the Pilot area if it's a day best for inside. We like to see where we're going and take it all in. We might take breaks to the salon but in general while underway we like to be further forward.

Now I know many talk about the cockpit being their favorite place. I think if we didn't have a bridge we'd use it more. But having a bridge, we tend to not spend a great deal of time in the cockpit.

Usually I'm reading on the boat if I'm chillaxing. My two favorite spots for that are on one of the cockpit seats with a huge pillow in the corner to lean against. The other is on the salon couch with the same pillow in the corner.

Closest spot to the ice maker and the cocktail shaker.:socool:

On our boat and the majority of Hatteras "Motoryacht" models and many "sun deck" boats the aft deck is fully enclosable (and can be air-conditionable, heatable) or can be easily opened up to enjoy the fresh air and weather. Everyone I know, including us, that has this arrangement, spends the vast majority of "hanging out" time there.

DSC_0252.JPG

The flying bridge is great for getting an even better view in fair weather; we had enclosures for ours but never used them.

DSC_0123_2.JPG

The salon we primarily use for TV, naps, and a little office we had in one corner. We prefer being as informal and open to the out doors as possible. The fore deck of our boat is equipped with a nice bench seats, a couple of deck boxes and a sun pad terrace and is a very popular hanging out spot as well. It's the best seat in the house when underway on a beautiful day. You can just make out my son doing just that in my avatar photo.

incentive%2520from%2520above%2520copy.jpg

All these features are available on smaller boats, on a smaller scale. The 43 foot Hatteras MY and it's many imitators comes to mind.

Thanks for asking that question....it was fun to think about. For us in a cool, rainy day, it would be either the salon of for TV or the Stateroom Lounge for videos or reading. Sunny days at anchor, definitely the screened veranda in a chair or hammock. Underway with 4 or more guests, typically the aft. boat deck with maybe a meal or snacks served on the pilothouse settee. Really hot Florida days underway, in the Pilothouse with A/C or on the bow bench catching the breezes. Those separate areas are surely the most beloved features for Manatee owners, especially the Admirals.

Last edited:
Yep the Manatee has it all, one of the great "relaxin'" venues of all time.

Thanks for the slow 2 whistle pass!

Flying bridge.
Unless sunlight over the bow drives us to the cockpit -- and good chairs.
Unless we're watching a movie (or surfing, e-mail etc.) from the dinette.

We have a couch in the salon, but I'm not a couch person.

-Chris

Like the Hatt our aft cabin Viking has an enclosed aft deck.
With screens to knock down the sun. Runs about 5-8degrees cooler back there. Loaded with nice wicker furniture, fridge,bar,ice maker I'm almost ready fort a nap just thinking a bout it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

The Captain is relaxing in his recliner as we speak, reading a good book with a scotch on the rocks in hand. There's ample room in our 16.5' wide salon for the smaller size Lazy Boy recliner. Great TV/movie viewing from both the recliner and built-in sofa too; not that we view much of either while cruising.

Otherwise, the flybridge is great spot for an all round view, and for harvesting a cool breeze while swinging on the hook. Then there's the full size swinging hammock on the boat deck, OMG it doesn't get better than that. The bow seat is another great spot; very comfy. And when you've had enough of the breeze, the cockpit is also great. Lots of options to relax, depending on your mood.

The Captain is relaxing in his recliner as we speak, reading a good book with a scotch on the rocks in hand. There's ample room in our 16.5' wide salon for the smaller size Lazy Boy recliner. Great TV/movie viewing from both the recliner and built-in sofa too; not that we view much of either while cruising.

Otherwise, the flybridge is great spot for an all round view, and for harvesting a cool breeze while swinging on the hook. Then there's the full size swinging hammock on the boat deck, OMG it doesn't get better than that. The bow seat is another great spot; very comfy. And when you've had enough of the breeze, the cockpit is also great. Lots of options to relax, depending on your mood.

I think Mystic may have hit it. Everywhere. Seriously, the idea is to turn every area of the boat into a relaxing venue. In our minds, the boat is for relaxing. Comfort is the primary objective. Especially when guests are aboard having multiple relaxation areas is important. I didn't mention bow earlier and I think having some form of seating on the bow really adds to a boats appeal. It can be a wonderful area for privacy while everyone else is in the salon. Or an area for sitting in a slow calm cruise. Last, if you're in a situation where you're mooring stern in, it sure is nice to be able to sit on the bow and look out on the water. When looking at a boat, rather than seeing spaces for how they look, how beautiful they are, one needs to think about how they will feel. What will the space be usable for. Imagine sitting in the area for a few hours. If you can't imagine it then maybe something about that area isn't quite right.

Bridge to start with, catch the last breezes of the day, cockpit, or bridge, for cocktails/snacks, salon for dinner & reading. Bow/foredeck for evening viewing of the stars & moon. As long as we are on the water, it's erelaxing

Hey Mystic, will you tell me about your hammock? Davit to mast? Any pictures?

Fly bridge in good weather. Mid (poop?) deck above rear cabin also in nice weather (we call it the back porch) Lower helm / saloon otherwise, in the swivel rocker/foot stool. First Mate likes the couch/settee I built for lounging.

So many answers, so little time! In order of preference....Anywhere Chair on the sundeck hardtop collecting vitamin D, Flybridge, Sundeck in a comfy deck chair, Anywhere chair on the bow, barrel chair in salon with the ottoman watching tv, galley settee with a book listening to rain on the deck, sleeping soundly in the bed.

Anywhere that isn't "at work" is comfy and relaxing.

People enjoy the foredeck, afterdeck, saloon, and pilothouse. Depends on people's moods, activities, and weather conditions. (No flying bridge here.)

232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B5%3A336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73485%3Enu%3D3953%3E576%3E8%3C9%3E2%3A445769%3B%3A245ot1lsi

img_221704_2_ceb64abbbb58a71d743e9c520707b80c.jpg

img_221704_3_17001865af1681049b14617b90d517a1.jpg

Last edited:
While on the go - Fly Bridge... hands down!

On the hook... in comfy chairs with iced cooler next to table on sun deck.

In eves and if bad weather... inside salon on real cushy semi rocking arm chairs with seperate foot stools; reading, eating or watching movies.

For beddie-by, long naps, or "private fun-time"... Master Stateroom on big bed.

Other than that... swim, swim, swim.

Or... gunkholen all over the place in our quick tow behind runabout!

Ain't boat time grand... Happy Boaten Daze!! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
OneofSix, Unless you plan on buying a 50'er, be aware that comfort on the boat isn't the same as home. Remember, boating is a compromise. On our boat, the only seating option in the saloon is the settee/dinette. Not very comfy but when I look outside the window, the view is always better than at home.

You ask a very good question. Something that I didn't worry too much about when I bought our boat, but will certainly be a big factor for the next one.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of recliners in the saloon.
N55 INTERIOR.jpg

oneofsix, unless you plan on buying a 50'er, be aware that comfort on the boat isn't the same as home. Remember, boating is a compromise. On our boat, the only seating option in the saloon is the settee/dinette. Not very comfy but when i look outside the window, the view is always better than at home. You ask a very good question. Something that i didn't worry too much about when i bought our boat, but will certainly be a big factor for the next one. Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of recliners in the saloon.
n55?

OneofSix, Unless you plan on buying a 50'er, be aware that comfort on the boat isn't the same as home. Remember, boating is a compromise. On our boat, the only seating option in the saloon is the settee/dinette. Not very comfy but when I look outside the window, the view is always better than at home.

You ask a very good question. Something that I didn't worry too much about when I bought our boat, but will certainly be a big factor for the next one.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of recliners in the saloon.
View attachment 28527

Mahal - Although that surely is a comfy salon pict you have on post 25, it looks caveish; like resting in a well outfitted cellar... I recommend that you have LARGE expansive windows. Along with comfy seating and other boat appendages...It's the view baby, that counts strongly for boating enjoyment. You already know that by what you say above! Best luck on locating your "next" boat! :thumb:

Attachments

• Port Galley W-Coffee Cooken.jpg
    Port Galley W-Coffee Cooken.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Port Rear Salon.jpg
    Port Rear Salon.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Hammock

Hey Mystic, will you tell me about your hammock? Davit to mast? Any pictures?

We hook it between the dinghy crane and mast. And, if we want some sun shade, which is most of the time, we open the bimini. I don't have any pictures, but I'll try and take one in the next day or two and attach it our photo album.

Mahal - Although that surely is a comfy salon pict you have on post 25, it looks caveish; like resting in a well outfitted cellar... I recommend that you have LARGE expansive windows. Along with comfy seating and other boat appendages...It's the view baby, that counts strongly for boating enjoyment. You already know that by what you say above! Best luck on locating your "next" boat!

Uh, Art, that pic was taken at night. There are large windows in the left background...
I've been on an N55 and while not for me, the salon has nice views to the outside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom