Thread: Splicing Wires
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #23
eseyoung

City: Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I am not a surveyor so I don't care.

I have spent more time then I care to admit repairing poor and stupid electrical connections that have or will fail at some point, done by others.

My connections cost more, the proper crimping tool cost me over a c-note. but my connections will never need to be redone by me or anyone else.

The connection you describe would be changed almost immediately on my boat, but if it works for you great. I use elect. tape to whip rope ends while making a splice and that's about it.
Can you tell me what you use? I have only ever used the standard automotive crimps. I have tried them but after sometime they ALWAYS end up corroded. I have even the 'marine corrosion resistant' terminals would always come up corroded. Not so much the terminals themselves but the wires inside.

Every one that i have ever put on i have either filled the barrel of the terminal with solder or cut off the connector and soldered the wire.

If there is a better way i am open to learning. I may have a hard time parting with a c-note for a wire crimper. But if the tool makes the difference i could be convinced...Do you loan yours?

I have soldered everything from generator wiring for my camper, to race cars instrumentation, trailer lights (think road salt), to various things in our fresh water boats.

Not one of my solder joints have ever got a crack, split or failed. If they do that then they were cold jointed or disturbed. it is a skill and just sticking it together isn't good enough.

admittedly, The marine environment is still somewhat new to me. I do try to do things the 'right' way.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote