Engine Room Soundproofing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spottsville

Vessel Name
Quiet Company
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH-47
What have you used to soundproof your engine room? Pictures of what you used once installed and where you purchased the material and why you chose a given material would be very helpful to all!

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

I did my ER in the fall and used Volvo Penta QL material in the attached link. It had an extremely sticky adhesive, is fire retardant, recycled material and did a great job of reducing the noise. You can buy in different thicknesses. Use regular hardware store foil tape to cover any joints. Did the whole job in just a couple hours. It was not overly expensive as compared to other material I looked at and available through my local retailer. Sorry no pictures.

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteColle...arts brochures/QL - Sound Absorbent - Eng.pdf

He said he was looking for Quiet Company:socool:, but probably not here:facepalm:

I'm looking for the same thing, insulation for my ER/Salon floor panels:D

Was thinking of those lead panels from home Depot.:confused:

I did my ER in the fall and used Volvo Penta QL material in the attached link. It had an extremely sticky adhesive, is fire retardant, recycled material and did a great job of reducing the noise. You can buy in different thicknesses. Use regular hardware store foil tape to cover any joints. Did the whole job in just a couple hours. It was not overly expensive as compared to other material I looked at and available through my local retailer. Sorry no pictures. http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Penta/Parts%20brochures/QL%20-%20Sound%20Absorbent%20-%20Eng.pdf

Where did you buy it?
Norm

I have used lead/foam and lead/fiberglass products on two diesel boats with good success. SoundDown (maybe SounDown) has a good site with many specialized products.

What I have had so much difficulty with is removing the old adhesive and left over product before I put on the new. Anyone have any trics for getting the old adhesive off? 3M adhesive remover does not work...........

Where did you buy it?
Norm

Norm, I don't have the contact name. I ordered from a catalogue the mechanic at our marina had. Try any Volvo dealer, they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Roger, I was fortune my insulation was original 1981 and in poor shape and the adhesive came off with the insulation. Some in fact was falling off. I suck right over what was left and it adhered well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom