Problem with COD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Ranson

Vessel Name
Cork
Vessel Make
Halvorsen GC32
Has anyone experienced delays getting your Documentation Certificate renewed or receiving a new one after boat purchased?
I submitted paper work in November, 2013 for new document. I received a letter from Coast Guard in December saying that they were behind in getting the CODs done. As of today I have not received my papers. Called yesterday and recording said office closed because of inclement weather.:confused:

Renewals are moving along on schedule because it is a virtually automated process. New CODs are backed up as much as 6 months for a variety of reasons, including a big uptick in boat sales and budgetary constraints.

Renewals are moving along on schedule because it is a virtually automated process. New CODs are backed up as much as 6 months for a variety of reasons, including a big uptick in boat sales and budgetary constraints.

They were issuing Temporary COD's because of the backlog but appear to have stopped that. They did offer priority handling if you were about to travel to foreign waters. We had two applications submitted on the same day early 2013 and one took 3 1/2 months and one took 5.

Guess if I don't have something soon I'll just take my Bill of Sale along. If CG boards they should be aware of problem.

Guess if I don't have something soon I'll just take my Bill of Sale along. If CG boards they should be aware of problem.

Your Bill of Sale plus the letter you received in December should suffice in the US. Foreign waters I'd be less comfortable with and, if planning to enter them, would file for priority.

Yep, just keep a file of all correspondence on the boat. I did that til mine came through. Got stopped and there was no fuss at all. That was stateside, though.

It took three or four months (late 2010, early 2011) for the original documentation for my boat; nevertheless, renewals are quick.

I filed for mine late July last year and received the temporary in December. The COD arrived in February.

I have two boats. I sent in renewal on my older boat the first week in November and have not received that either and no letter like I got on my new boat application. The good news is that I always keep a copy of the renewal notice and write date that I mailed it in on the copy.
I always thought it was funny that they moved that CG office from Norfolk, VA to West Virginia.

you should have it in the next week or two. mine was submitted in Oct and i got it about two weeks ago. but yes in the mean time the letter will work.

USCG - what a mess! Bought my boat and sent all paperwork in October, 2012. Received my papers April, 2014. Their excuse at the time was a new computer system. Typical government bureaucrats. makes me really look forward to the efficiencies they will bring to healthcare...

Haven’t you received you Coast Guard contribution notice in the mail? If you make a contribution they may push thru quick. I get one every couple of months!

Contribution? Usually goes in around April 15th. That could be my problem! :banghead:

I submitted my request in mid-December 2013. CG advised they were working on August 2013 at that time. Said they process them in chronological order. I'm not holding my breath.

Question: This was a documentation transfer with name change request. Do I have to wait for the new certificate before I change the name on the boat?

The USCG is behind, and has for at least the last few years been running behind.

They only have so much staff.

I accidentially let my documentation lapse, and had to re-apply (last week). Since I'm planning on taking my boat into Canada in May I requested priority treatment, and was issued my COD the very next day.

Although they seem to be understaffed, they worked with me when I needed assistance, and I am most thankful they did!

please remember the vast majority of USCG staff employees are civilians.:D

last time I spoke to the supervisor of the NVDC...HE was a civilian....:socool:

Documentation center was moved to WV by Senator Byrd. He definitely new how to bring home the pork to WV. If you are going to move your boat, email the webmaster at the Documentation Center and request a status report on your application. Include name and address and the official number if it was previously documented. They will respond by email with the date they received your applications and whate date they are working on now. Most states will accept that as proof that you actually submitted the application. Florida requires Documented vessels with FL home ports to be registered in FL. They accept the email as proof of application and will issue temporary registration based on it.

Ted

Applied for ours in August 2013 and were told it would be 6 months. It showed up by the end of September. I guess we fell through the cracks somewhere in their piling system--in a good way

I talked to a Documentation Service two days ago and she said they are backlogged and expect up to six months to receive your COD.

Back
Top Bottom