cockpits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MegaWatt

Vessel Name
Lori Ann
Vessel Make
35 ChrisCraft Commander
Definitely want a sundeck but still like to fish and dive so I'm thinking about a cockpit motor yacht or similar, has anyone had any experience with a boat this style?:confused:

In many ways, having a CPMY is the best of both worlds. I'm referring to a full-beam aft cabin with a sundeck above and a cockpit aft of both. One gets the benefits of a full-width aft cabin and water-level access from the cockpit.

One issue that results is inhibited traffic flow getting to and from the cockpit. Your choices typically, but not in ALL cases, are via ladder down from the sundeck or via ladder/steps up from the aft cabin. This turns your aft cabin into a passageway from the interior to the cockpit and requires ladder climbing to go from cockpit to sundeck.

Hadn't thought about the cabin traffic, thanks for the insight.
Darrell

Hadn't thought about the cabin traffic, thanks for the insight.
Darrell

I can't recall seeing one with access from the aft cabin that does not also have an exterior ladder. And aft cabin access tends to be in the 50+' range. I've attached some photos of our 44' Ocean Alexander sundeck/cockpit, which utilizes a short ladder (only) from the cockpit to the sundeck. On the Great Lakes it's common to see both floating and fixed height docks. The cockpit provides safe boarding both from low docks and a dinghy....and great for taking the dog ashore from an anchorage. Also makes line handling easier in locks, for example. Boarding from low docks would be a real chore without the cockpit.

We're summer live-aboards and would not own another configuration. Best of all worlds...if you don't mind a few steps between levels. Nieces and nephews fish from the cockpit...and it's also a good storage area for bikes, etc.

DSCN8083.jpg

DSCN4135.jpg

DSCN3490.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

Please don't get me wrong; I like the boats with cockpits I've been on. But I'm trying to understand how a cockpit makes boarding a sundeck model any easier. Isn't it roughly the same number of steps from the cockpit to the sundeck as it is from the swim platform? Or is it just the safety aspect of the enclosed cockpit that's attractive?

One of the things I prefer on a Sedan over a CPMY is the lack of steps. As I get older and the legs/knees/ankles/feet seem to be less tolerant of steps, I like the concept of one level all the way from the cockpit through the salon and into the galley. That was a MUST HAVE thing when we were looking for a boat.

Our cockpit and swim platform allow lots of room to move around, fish from, sunbathe on or just relax....and no steps.

img_220913_0_357aa9907f3e97470784304b47cadfed.jpg

I guess that's why the make many different styles of boats....we all have our preferences. Part of the fun of shopping for a boat is being able to go aboard many different designs and seeing which work best for us.

Meridian 459? Not a pretty boat, but certainly has lots of room packed into 45', and has big sliding door from the cockpit into the aft cabin, and hence forward into the salon. OR just 3 steps up to the sundeck. Makes boarding from a tender with groceries, pets etc., quite easy. They've been quite popular for a reason. Before you go doubting their seakeeping abilities, just know one ran on it's bottom from Sydney to Tasmania. Have you seen the Bass Strait? I wouldn't even take the high speed ferry cat across it.

Direct sunlight is my enemy (blue eyes and previous exposure to high-altitude sunlight). No sundeck here, nor flying bridge, thank you. Will stay in pilothouse except for momentary excursions.

img_220918_0_9323f02c9b0e2ad53bfe2873ad6b4db4.jpg

(The bear thinks similarly.)

Last edited:
Meridian 459? Not a pretty boat, but certainly has lots of room packed into 45', and has big sliding door from the cockpit into the aft cabin, and hence forward into the salon. OR just 3 steps up to the sundeck. Makes boarding from a tender with groceries, pets etc., quite easy. They've been quite popular for a reason. Before you go doubting their seakeeping abilities, just know one ran on it's bottom from Sydney to Tasmania. Have you seen the Bass Strait? I wouldn't even take the high speed ferry cat across it.

Nah, its not that bad. Sure, sometimes at breakfast you have to hold your plate of eggs and bacon to stop it sliding off the table. That's manageable. And on those days the breakfast queue is nice and short.:D

Grand Banks Classic's have pretty good compromise with aft cabin (usually not full width), a small cockpit and various access options. The 42 is a very popular boat for some good reasons.

My OA Mk1 has cockpit-salon-galley on one level and it is nice to have that in a climate where you can leave the rear doors wide open most of the time. I have steps down to sleeping areas, up to pilothouse and internal steps up to flybridge. And I like the steps as well. This is the 'use it or lose it' thinking - keep yourself in shape by routine exercise. I also have a ladder form the cockpit up to the flybridge. Not so keen on ladders, steps are far better.

Nothing like a cockpit and double aft doors on a cool breezy night of fishing. OK, it's 60 degrees F and 8 kts of wind, but I'm in California! Thankfully, I had a heater nearby.

img_220923_0_9bb5937a06b2a60f564864ddf5eea215.jpg

We like our cockpit, for sure. It makes the boat really people-friendly…

Attachments

• Image105.jpg
    Image105.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 176
We love our CPMY- it is indeed the best of both worlds. Having the occasional guest use the aft cabin access isn't a big thing. What is excellent is the accessibility for fishing, crabbing, and the simple joy of welcoming the morning with a cup of coffee sitting in the cockpit.

A good friend has essentially the same boat we do, less the cockpit. I'd rather have ours.....

Direct sunlight is my enemy (blue eyes and previous exposure to high-altitude sunlight). No sundeck here, nor flying bridge, thank you. Will stay in pilothouse except for momentary excursions.

img_220964_0_9323f02c9b0e2ad53bfe2873ad6b4db4.jpg

(The bear thinks similarly.)

Mark, what were you and Teddy finding so interesting?:D

MegaWatt, You might want to add the Defever 49 CPMY to your list. It's the same boat as the popular DF44 with a 5' cockpit. A very roomy boat including the ER.
defever.jpg

defever-49-cpmy-27.jpg

We love our cockpit.

Attachments

• image-1503004574.jpg
    image-1503004574.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 164
That's a back porch, not a cockpit.

Yes, and the OP indicated that a sundeck was a given. Sundeck with cockpit is a very specific configuration. Sedans with a back porch/deck are a different animal and typically are less efficient regarding interior space utilization. Less stairs...yes. More space....no.

Yes, and the OP indicated that a sundeck was a given. Sundeck with cockpit is a very specific configuration. Sedans with a back porch/deck are a different animal and typically are less efficient regarding interior space utilization. Less stairs...yes. More space....no.

Indeed.

I was specifically looking for a cockpit when I bought my Ocean Alexander 44 for a couple of reasons. First we have a yellow Lab and the cockpit makes it very easy for him to get on and off the boat. Second, we enjoy the water and the cockpit allows us to get close to it and use the swim platform for swimming. Lastly was a safety issue. What happens if someone gets hurts in the water, without a cockpit the best you can offer them is a wet swim step to lay on while we wait for help. At least with the cockpit we might have a chance of getting them warm and dry.

We chose a CPMY for many of the reasons discussed. Started out looking for a 36' Sedan with twins, 2 1/2 year later ended up with a 46' CPMY with a single. I tried to attach pictures for the first time. Hopefully they loaded, because they show why we wanted a cockpit.
Lyle

Attachments

• September Vacation 2010 143.jpg
    September Vacation 2010 143.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20130910_125715.jpg
    20130910_125715.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 136
IMG, this is "all I've got" (and have no dogs onboard);

img_222294_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

I can't recall seeing one with access from the aft cabin that does not also have an exterior ladder. And aft cabin access tends to be in the 50+' range. I've attached some photos of our 44' Ocean Alexander sundeck/cockpit, which utilizes a short ladder (only) from the cockpit to the sundeck. On the Great Lakes it's common to see both floating and fixed height docks. The cockpit provides safe boarding both from low docks and a dinghy....and great for taking the dog ashore from an anchorage. Also makes line handling easier in locks, for example. Boarding from low docks would be a real chore without the cockpit.

We're summer live-aboards and would not own another configuration. Best of all worlds...if you don't mind a few steps between levels. Nieces and nephews fish from the cockpit...and it's also a good storage area for bikes, etc.

View attachment 28407

View attachment 28408

View attachment 28409

View attachment 28410

Nice Vessel!:socool:

I am all about a cockpit Motor Yacht. That is what my search is centered around. To get a feel for what we want, I chartered A Jefferson 42 and a Selene 53. Dollar wise they don't compare but that gave us a Pilothouse amidship Cabin and a aft cabin with only a swim platform. In Florida stern too with no finger piers you are down a ladder to the swim platform and up a ladder to the aft deck, or jump :facepalm:, Bags, groceries, drinks, need I say more.

Large aft deck for outdoor seating, Cockpit for "Half way" boarding and dingy launching. Close the door to the aft stateroom and traffic will go thru the aft deck.

One of the things I prefer on a Sedan over a CPMY is the lack of steps. As I get older and the legs/knees/ankles/feet seem to be less tolerant of steps, I like the concept of one level all the way from the cockpit through the salon and into the galley. That was a MUST HAVE thing when we were looking for a boat.

Our cockpit and swim platform allow lots of room to move around, fish from, sunbathe on or just relax....and no steps.

img_222309_0_357aa9907f3e97470784304b47cadfed.jpg

I guess that's why the make many different styles of boats....we all have our preferences. Part of the fun of shopping for a boat is being able to go aboard many different designs and seeing which work best for us.

:thumb:

I choose my ACMY for some of the same reasons as others. Coming from a sailboat, once I saw a beam to beam aft stateroom with a walk around queen size bed I knew I didn't want to sleep in the bow again.

One of my big reasons for a cockpit was for safety. Since we are in warm, fresh water we enjoy being in the water. What happens if someone gets injured on the water? On some of the boats I looked at the best option would have would be to put them on the swim step. Not a safe place to be when injured and in a hurry looking for help. At least with a cockpit you can open the transom door and get them into someplace safe and dry while you hurry on for help.

Back
Top Bottom