On seine vessels and stern ramps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
There was a photo of the former FV "Ladner Lass" in the "Favourite Pictures". The "Contraption" Xsbank refers to is more correctly called a "Stern Ramp". It articulates up and down about 10 feet forward of the horizontal roller and is lowered down in order to bring the last section of the seine net aboard. A bag of up to 1,000 salmon can be brought aboard in this manner. I was responsible for the Test Fishing program of the Pacific Salmon Commission for 30 years. I'm now retired.

Here are some photos of the "Belina". She is an 85' wooden seine vessel still operated by the grandson of Luigi Benedet, who had this vessel built in the 1950's. She is the commission's test fishing seine vessel operating in July-September in Area 20 (Cdn Juan de Fuca).

Preparing to "let 'er go!"

image-3185622171.jpg

Setting the net

image-2082321572.jpg

Commencing the tow

image-593618176.jpg

Belina towing

image-3008096568.jpg

Jim, Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Hello JD, I was trying to see where in Lion's Bay you could keep a KK42, on Google Earth and it would help if you waved your arms around.

Thanks for the clarification of the "contraption." I used to attend many of the herring and salmon openings in the 70s and 80s as I flew many owners, company and Fisheries people out to the Charlottes and Kitkatla and similar. Got quite good at nosing up to the side of a fish boat and partaking of the coffee and grub while waiting for an opening. We probably overlapped.

Ahhh! We keep Phoenix Hunter in Steveston near the Britannia Shipyards where I get to "pretend" with my friends there. Sadly, the end of an era.

image-880976900.jpg

Jim, Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom