NT26 vs NP28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal

I was wondering if anyone has been able to get on or trial Nordic's new 26 and North Pacific's new 28 so as to be able to provide a comparison. Thoughts?

There seems a lot to like about both of those boats and would be interested in viewing them myself. Here is a boat I've been pining over for some time now. The designer is a member here.

Ironbark 28' Traditional Double-ended Displacement Boat ~ Small Boat Designs by Tad Roberts

Wousers. The pictures of the completed example on Tad's web page are certainly of a gorgeous boat! As beautiful as it is, I'm guessing all that gorgeous wood is a bit more maintenance than the woodless NT26 or NP28 :). I love how the bow seems to rise much higher than the other boats in that category. Makes the boat look larger and more 'shippy'. Gorgeous boat, Tad!

In fact, lots of gorgeous boats on there! Love the picture of the Timbercoast 22 with outriggers. Haven't seen them on a boat that small - looks great!!

Last edited:
Wow. that Ironbark is Beautiful! I also like the Northcoast design too.

Kevin

When you're on TAD's site look at Yellow Cedar.

Hadn't thought in terms of digits but yes I do too.

I'd like a GB36 w a reshaped stern and two 40hp Mitsubishi's. Or .............

That could go on for a very long time.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to get on or trial Nordic's new 26 and North Pacific's new 28 so as to be able to provide a comparison. Thoughts?

I've owned an NP28 for about 18 months. For about four or five years prior to retiring in 2012 I studied, researched and compared features, specs and interior layout of several pocket trawlers to buy. Price, of course, was closely monitored as well. I attended every boat show in Seattle and some in British Columbia, Canada.

I focused on the 26' Nordic Tugs; the 25, and the 29' Ranger tugs, the not-so "pocketable" 31" Camano, and others. Eventually I sea-tried a Camano and a couple of Rangers. I did not have any sea trials on NTs but I boarded five or six as I sought the right boat for my wife and I.

Anyway, pound-for-pound I found that the NP28 was the best one for us. Fit, finish and quality of the NP28 is second to none. We had two previous outboard runabouts, so in essence we're new to the rudder concept. I have become quite comfortable with the boat's ease of handling. I have been focusing on docking/departing with minimal, or no aid from the bow thruster. Each time it gets easier and smoother.

A big factor for us was the more comfortable and expansive salon/galley. This is accomplished with additional interior space gained from a "full beam" salon. The Ranger and the NT have the old, inefficient dinette table that is supposed to convert to a berth. You have to be a kid or a very small adult to find comfort there. The NTs and the Rangers dining table, being in a traverse position cuts into the already narrow salon sole. The NP28 has a 7-foot long settee across from the similar-sized galley. An NBA player can sleep in full comfort on the settee that pulls out to make a berth somewhere in size between a queen and a full bed.

The 150 HP Cummins sips less than 3GPH as it chugs along at around 7 or 8 knots. Its very low placement in the engine compartment makes the boat steady. Last summer we encountered four to five foot seas full of white caps as we returned to Blaine from an overnight stay at anchor in Sucia Island. We took hard hits on the bow, and beam, with waves topping the roof and cascading over the pilot house. These conditions lasted for over an hour and a half and the boat handled it with ease, in spite of us being so "green" at this.

I realize that most, if not all of you are likely much more experienced and competent than I am; and that you might not have thought much of the sea conditions that we encountered. That said, I think that the NP28's ability to bring two not-so-young (LOL) greenhorns home safe from that experience is testament to, and speaks volumes to the quality, reliability and sea-worthiness of this craft.

Oh, and the way that Trevor Brice comes through for his clients is outstanding. He is NPY's CEO/president/publicist, and more. Wearing all those hats results in overhead costs savings that help keep prices down.

Well, those are my humble 2 cents' worth.

Ed
Knot@work

Greta testimonial, Ed! Thanks for sharing! Be sure to share more stories and pictures as you put more miles under her bottom!! Thanks again - I'm sure I'll come up with more questions!

Andy

Greta testimonial, Ed! Thanks for sharing! Be sure to share more stories and pictures as you put more miles under her bottom!! Thanks again - I'm sure I'll come up with more questions! Andy

I would post pics but don't know how.

Click Quick Reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
Click Go Advanced, add text to message window and then scroll down.
Click Manage Attachments. A separate window will pop up.
Click Browse... then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 1024 x 1024 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
Click Upload. After pics have loaded, close the pop-up window.
Click Submit Reply to post the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
You can also:
Click Post Reply or, if starting a new thread, click New Thread
Click on the paperclip symbol in the top row of the message box. A separate window will pop up.
Click Browse...then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 1024 x 1024 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
Click Upload. After pics have loaded, close the pop-up window.
Click Submit Reply (if you are replying) or Submit New Thread (if a new discussion) to post the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
Hope this helps....

Well the NP certainly is a knockoff. From a distance it would be hard to tell them apart. But they seem to have done everything right as a member here has attested to their quality.
Another boat to consider in this class is the Cutwater. And I say this since they get such great mileage at high speeds.. I'm not into the whole 'swiss army knife' concept that ranger and Cutwater are selling, but i do understand there is a market for them.

image-2691734478.jpg

Hmmm.. I have a few pics of my recent haul out. Let's see if this works. If it does; -credit to Animal!

Here it goes...

Attachments

• image-3821345725.jpg
    image-3821345725.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 214
A couple more:

Attachments

• image-1049159667.jpg
    image-1049159667.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 382
  • image-823225796.jpg
    image-823225796.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 231
  • image-2736067664.jpg
    image-2736067664.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 335
Hmmm.. I have a few pics of my recent haul out. Let's see if this works. If it does; -credit to Animal!

Here it goes...

Glad to see the jam but is in the correct position. I like how they faired the deadwood.

Ed,
Posting pictures is fun .... and informative. Boat looks great. Makes me want to go inside.

It's interesting that NP28 has lots of prop clearance above but hardly any below. It's unusual (I think) but unless the shoe set off vibration that was transferred to the hull it should be ideal. Prop is deep in the water so it would be unlikely to catch air in big seas. Further away from water affected by the drag of the hull. Les likely for flotsam to contact the prop. And maximum blade to hull clearance do minimize vibration from water thrown of the blade tips slamming into the hull bottom. Perhaps they knew what they were doing and nobody else cares.

Looks like the shoe is not removable on the NP28.
Here's the after hull of the N26. Looks like the prop is basically centered in it's available space. If you ever want to put on a bigger prop because of a bigger engine or lower gear ratio you'd be SOL on the NP28.

I see a disadvantage though. I think a 3 blade prop would be better on this boat but w the very low clearance to the shoe the larger diameter of the 3 blade wouldn't fit.

My Willard has no fairing of the deadwood at all. Big time turbulence I suppose. But there is plenty of room for a larger prop and the shoe is removable. Spy is the NT 26 shoe removable? Looks like it could be attached w screws from under the keel.

Attachments

• DSCF1002 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1002 copy 3.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 269
  • STH71268 copy.jpg
    STH71268 copy.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Spy is the NT 26 shoe removable? Looks like it could be attached w screws from under the keel.

Yup. From memory I'd guess it is a 3' long piece of 4" x 3/4" SS flat bar held on with three or four 3/4" SS bolts.

Last edited:
Hi Eric;

I'm in VA waiting for grand baby's birth. Will be back in Blaine early in May. I replied (or tried) to yours and all other postings earlier but don't see them in the thread. I replied with daughter's i-pad. So I'm not sure if they went as private replies or what. Too much going on around here.

Anyway, I'm writing from my iPhone now, so I hope this reaches you. But in a nutshell, please let me know when you'll be back near Blaine and I'd be glad to show you Knot@work.

Take care, keep in touch.

Ed

Beautiful boat Ed.... Sigh! The only one on the market just went under contract per broker in CT.
Thanks! Yours too! Wish I knew how to sail. I wish I knew many more things!

Anyway like I told Eric, I replied to you from daughter's iPad but don't know if it reached you. Sending this from iPhone.

I hope the NP28 does sell soon. It is too much fun of a boat to be sitting on dry dock.

Ed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom