Krogen Manatee Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiDHo

Guru
I'm looking for alternative locations for removing the 5 KW Northern Lights generator with sound box from the machinery space below the galley. Age, agility and 6'2" height has made it very difficult to access the machinery space that it's in. Current job replacing the potable water pump makes this difficult space to work in more apparent. Trying to cope with the lack of work room has even made me think of how to put reach rods on the water tank suction valves. Any ideas welcome, have started thinking if a Krogen 42 trade plus boot is the answer.

Healhustler has just finished his generator relocation project on his Manatee and hopefully he will be around to tell you how he did it.

Yes, I feel your pain, literally and figuratively. Let's face it.....there are some design flaws in any boat, and IMHO, the generator location under the galley, athwartships or otherwise, is a compromise that never needed to be made. The Northern Lights 5KW is 375 lbs. or so and having to compensate for it's relocation isn't really much of a challenge if it is kept below the sole and reasonably close to the keel line. My project is almost finished now, and i can assure you that moving your Northern Lights 5KW genset to a new hatch under the veranda is like moving every system under the galley to a new space. Once the genset is gone, access to the head plumbing, waste tank, through hulls, hot water heater, fresh water pump, and other things are no real issue.

Manatees and 42's are getting long in the tooth. There needs to be a place to publish these project threads for the assistance of others whom will eventually be going through the same process. The Krogen site is great, but with Yahoo Groups as host, doing text with photos is so time consuming that it's a project in itself.

Manatees and 42's are getting long in the tooth. There needs to be a place to publish these project threads for the assistance of others whom will eventually be going through the same process. The Krogen site is great, but with Yahoo Groups as host, doing text with photos is so time consuming that it's a project in itself.

Use the Krogen forum right here!!!

Use the Krogen forum right here!!!

I'll probably give that a try. But meanwhile, I'm trying to come up with an intelligent disclaimer. Projects so specific to a particular design often don't make sense on another design. I don't think "Don't try this at home" is enough.:rolleyes::)

Larry the pain is in my shins from the placement of the generator and heat pump sea strainers in the already tight confines of the machinery space access area. My first step will be to relocate these strainers to the other side or forward of the structural thwart in the photo.
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_4134.JPG
    IMG_4134.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 144
Holy crap! You mean that's what you have sitting there waiting for your knees when you craw in the hatch?! I thought "I" was frustrated!:eek:

I realize now that I was spoiled from the beginning. I had a postage stamp sized piece of plywood to lay upon.:rolleyes:

Larry I just finished replacing our FW pump and did a move the sea strainers out of the access area test. It made the work area much easier to navigate, I used a old seat cushion to lay on and completed the job fairly well. Next I plan on in installing a reach rod that will let me open and close my port water tank supply ball valve from under the galley cabinet. I already have the starboard tank valve fitted and can open and close it from the access hatch area. I guess all my days in the US Navy engineroom bilges gives me an ability to navigate cramped areas. I still would like to check out a Krogen 39, the engineroom door setup looks great!!
Bill

Attachments

• hot water heater.jpg
    hot water heater.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 144
Definitely looks clean and more ordered, for sure. My boat still has the original hot water heater which is overdue to replace. It will give me another excuse to re-order some more things down there, including A/C which until now, was in the bottom of the companionway closet. The duct ran right up through the center of the closet, only inches from the door. It may have been a convenient place to locate it, but made the closet almost unusable. Duh?!

We have a 16,500 BTU split unit with the evaporator/air handler under the center pilothouse console. Compressor/condenser located forward starboard area next to the holding tank in machinery space (photos). Need to add another 12,000 unit some where have you seen any Manatee's with two units and what locations did they use. Also will the 5KW Northern Lights generator and or two 30 amp dock power cords handle the load ?
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Here again, when you've seen one Krogen, you've seen one Krogen. There must be at least one A/C location more common than others, but I've seen split units mounted under the galley sink, over inside the big galley cooler, back in the cabinet section next to the oven, the base of the stateroom closet, base of the companionway closet (mine), under the helm center cabinet, in boxes behind the pilothouse, and below in the machinery space. I guess that many of these boats were ordered without A/C and the contractors just did their own designs. Ducting is a whole other issue.

My 16.5 BTU Cruiseair unit draws a max of 14 amps on start up, and it's pretty old. I can run my A/C, microwave, hot water heater, etc. with no issues on my 4.5 KW unit. As long as you don't start up two or more units at the same time, running a 16.5 and a 10.0 A/C shouldn't be an issue at all. Maybe others here could comment.

HiDiHo I see your cal pump

Had those pumps for years and after a year or so they all broke but hope you know that they have a two year warrantee so save your recepts. Craig

Craig the Cal pumps have lasted fairly well, only replaced the pump one time in eight years. See the Manatee Air-Conditioning thread that was moved to "Other Trawler Systems" area for information and photos of our recent outfitting with another a/c & heat unit which entailed replacing the Cal with a larger pump to service both units.
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom