Scary
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Have you tried Autonet abrasives by Merka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Merka rocks! I have to second the opinion. However if you want another option that is less expensive try this route -
first on a ROS most of the time the shopvacs have too much vacuum pressure and will suck the ROS down to the material that you are sanding. This isn't really ideal as it can create low spots, more drag on the sander and action of the RO. I really like both Festool and Fein vacuums, they are one of the few that are truly HEPA. Festool being standard and Fein you have to order the HEPA. However, the least expensive route to go with a high quality set up that can be used at home as well would be a Festool ROS and Fein turbo II. They are currently being marked down as stock was high on the Turbo II. You can find them priced at 299 with shipping. The vacuum as a remote start feature for tool and adjustable vacuum. Fein makes an adapter that slides onto the Festool. It has worked great for me in the past with my Festool. For just under $500 you can get a high quality ROS and vacuum. The Festool 125 EQ is my ROS of choice, mainly cause I didn't feel the Merka was worth it for me.
. If you haven't tried Merka's Autonet' do yourself favor and check it out. I haven't noticed a problem with too much suction, I don't work much with soft wood so I prefer the added cutting ability. When sanding between varnish coats I save valuable time by clearly seeing shiny spots. The Autonet paper on paint and resin cuts much faster and lasts at least four times longer. Very little if any clogging. Autonet abrasive looks like drywall sanding sheets except you get it from about 50grit to 6000 grit. I won't use any else. Your right the Merka is slightly more expensive than Fein or Festool , but only slightly. If your making a living with it.the ease and versatility of the Media is worth it. It is the first choice , and I have a bunch of sanders.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote