Old 03-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #25
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
At 70 I'm officially old and at 6'1 230lb maybe even fat. I spent yesterday recovering from a day in the engine room of a 57 Hatteras. Every part of my body hurt. Crawling around like a snake in and out of caves working with power tools on your side, back, head and then backing out over the same. Hatteras to there credit actually provides access to everything you need to get at. It's been my observation that this true of most of the older boats. Not the case for the many of the newer boats that are build on a assembly line with major components installed before the deck is glued to the hull. I have seen Sea Rays that you would have to remove the engine to replace spark plugs or exhaust manifolds. My 4788 Bayliner holding tank was just outboard of the starboard engine access to the tank or starboard side of the engine was impossible. The port engine raw water pump was a 4 hour job to access requiring removal of the engine mount. In fact it was easier to remove the engine mount and pump just to change pump impellers on the starboard side. Oh well back to work. The perfect boat mechanic, 70 years experience, built like rubber man with the strength of atlas.
Steve, that is exactly why I had my holding tank removed and replaced with a Raritan hold n treat when we repowered our 4788.

I had to replace the starter on the starboard engine and was very glad that tank was gone.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote