Got a boat, Got a Capt., Got lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bombchelle

Vessel Name
RHINO
Vessel Make
Jarvis Newman
Hi ya'll. I am so excited to be able to ask questions and get lots of options. I know little to nothing about our boat, but want to learn. I hope I will be able to get lots of advise and suggestions from the Lady's and Gentlemen on here. I have inside and outside design issues with this boat. It is an amazing boat but just want to make her our boat. And have been reading on here off and on now for a couple of months. So please get ready to have a barge of assorted questions. And please be patient with me. lol...

Thank You RTF. Happy to be here.

Please tell us more about your boat.

Welcome aboard. Ya gotta understand that rule #1 on any boating forum is--we need to see pics of your boat before we believe it's really yours. Pics of you and your family/friends using her also helps.

Just kidding....sort of, but you get my drift.

Fire away with your questions. Lots of experienced cruisers on here who can supply the answers you are looking for.

Hi ya'll. I am so excited to be able to ask questions and get lots of options. I know little to nothing about our boat, but want to learn. I hope I will be able to get lots of advise and suggestions from the Lady's and Gentlemen on here. I have inside and outside design issues with this boat. It is an amazing boat but just want to make her our boat. And have been reading on here off and on now for a couple of months. So please get ready to have a barge of assorted questions. And please be patient with me. lol...

When my wife bought the Eagle we were newbie’s want bees and we had a ton of questions. I was not a very happy camper at the time! The things we wish we know before buying and becoming a live aboard was:

What to do with our worldly junk/stuff, especially the sentimental and remembrances? We gave what we could to family friends and charity, there was still at last two dozen trips to the dump. Its amazing what we collect over time. Do I really need 3 of these?

How little 30 amps 120 volts AC is. We had to set the break dozens of times each day. When we lived in the house we never threw a breaker? Whats 30 amps and where can I buy more amps?

How little two hundred gallons of water is and 12 gallons a hot water. I just fill the tank yesterday? It seems the water and/or the hot water usually ran out in the middle of a shower. Ahhhh!

How little room there was for shoes, cloths, shoes, person items and did I mention shoes? Had to par down to two small closets. We where forced to wear the same thing more than once. How embarrassing! We have to buy another boat just for our stuff!

What you can not put down a marine toilet? How come the toilet is plugged again. I only used two hand full of Charmin toilet pape? We are limited to only things that have been eaten, so the toilet can not be used as a garbage disposal?

How small the holding tank is. What is the smell and brown stuff running down the hull? What do you mean the holding tank has to be pump out? So who does that? We do? You must be joking?

The refrigerator is to small as there is no room for our drinks, and NO ice? Ok so we don’t have to eat! Remember, in college we lived on beer, pop corn and chips, We can do that again!

I don’t feel to well! How can both of us catch the flu at the same time, and how do we make the bloody boat stop rocking/moving. Gawds, I hope the toilet is not plugged again!

The boat makes these weird sounds. The toilet sounds like a garbage disposal, motors come on/off, we can heard water, the fenders and lines make creaky sounds. How does a person sleep with all this noise? What do you mean its relaxing?

So where did every body go, its only 6 o clock. What do you mean there are only two of us living in the marina and its an older couple three docks down. Well who are we going to party with?

Our address is West Marina, Dock 2, slip 3, Fairview. Seattle WA. What do you mean that is not a good address and our drivers license can not be renewed or have food delivered. Will you accpet our GPS locations?

You have to develope a sense of humor and take things in stride.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Bombchelle! A Beneteau Swift Trawler 44' looks like a nice boat with a good floor plan.

Great post Phil Fill! My wife, Carrie, and I are hoping to purchase a trawler in the next year or 2. Our only experience so far has been on small deep-v fishing boats. We have spent time in our truck camper (named White Dynamite) so we are familiar with some of your initial issues. With our love of the ocean (and particularly the Salish Sea) and our love of traveling within self contained movable homes, I feel confident we will love having a trawler.

Kirk

This what I know about our boat. She is a Jarvis Newman 46' old lobster boat I think. She has one Detroit engine that seems to run good. I have pictures of her on my profile. Not sure about the specs. I leave that to my Capt. lol. I know she to me is like a picnic boat. I would like to open her up and have more usable space. And yes I ain't sure how to go about that with all the wiring issues. And want to make her our own with our style and function for us.:eek:

Yes sir Phil I totally agree. I have no idea what he has gotten me into. lol. but I am a hard worker and willing to give any thing a try. but like you not too sure how to go about it. I just want to figure it out and have fun doing it. she is a good boat and I think has a ton of potential just have a lot to do. I love having fun and I love joking around and want to meet all the people that feel like me life is too short to not enjoy it. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you about the potty situation. I did tie up our boat by myself at our dock in Sabine Pass. I was proud. lol. ty for being so supportive of me and patient with my questions when I start you will be bomb barded.

Welcome aboard.. U got questions, we got answers... this group is glad to share... we've all been there... I think the current ratio is 5 different answers for every 1 question... multiple choice...

Just try to stump these guys...

Sorry Bombchelle, I got your boat mixed up with one from a different post. I was trying to do too many things at the same time.
Kirk

There is another sister boat site, Cruise and Sail forum http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/. The site has a Women Afloat forum, and it has a secret for women ONLY Mermaid forum, but they would not let me join. Sexiest! :D The site is 90% sail boaters, but there are more women members and friendlier. Also you will see many of the same people posting on both sites.

A few of us been on boat site forums for years, so there is not much we have not see/heard. My wife and I have remodeled/up graded the Eagle form the pointy end to the blunt end over 17 years. :thumb:

Welcome Bombchelle! A Beneteau Swift Trawler 44' looks like a nice boat with a good floor plan.

Great post Phil Fill! My wife, Carrie, and I are hoping to purchase a trawler in the next year or 2. Our only experience so far has been on small deep-v fishing boats. We have spent time in our truck camper (named White Dynamite) so we are familiar with some of your initial issues. With our love of the ocean (and particularly the Salish Sea) and our love of traveling within self contained movable homes, I feel confident we will love having a trawler.

Kirk

My best advise is to let you wife/SO take the lead and you follow to see what the likes and dislikes are. But you proable already know that. :thumb:The best is to go to boat a float shows, and Trawler Fest as most of the boat/trawler will be there.

Lastly, trawler is sort of becoming another name for boats that tend to look like a trawler, BUT! So make sure you also know and understand what the boat is below the water line as well as above the water line. Just because it looks like a trawler does not necessary mean it’s fits your definition of a trawler. But you also knew that!:socool:

For the first 17 years out boating was with a 19 ft run about, then 5 years with a 30 ft trailer able, then my wife found/see our 58 ft. You might be very surprise about the boat/trawler she will buy for you.;):eek:

Welcome, we keep our boat in Houma, La. if you ever head this way give us a shout.

Thank you Steve, Phil, Earl, and Snakeriver. I will need advise on doing a remodel on inside. Like fridge/freezer. Don't like the chest ones we have. I also don't like the gas Shipmate range/oven we have. The lay-out like I said to me is picnic boat like. I would like to take some cabinets out and open it up some. My Capt. already ordered me a nice futon style couch for my birthday this month. lol. But most important is the potty. He is gonna get me a push button flush one cause the "pump the potty" is not working for me. We have three houses to figure out what to do with so Phil you need some more stuff like SHOES. lol. We also only have two very small (tiny) closets. But I will not miss all the clothes and shoes. All I need is room for flip-flops, shorts and bikinis. lol. But we have so much deck area it is amazing. So ready to go dive and fish for our own dinner. Cook and share with our new found friends and of course 5:00 p.m. cocktails. woo-hoo.:D

these are my problem areas as of now

[/attach][/attach]

Attachments

• GOPR0062.jpg
    GOPR0062.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 109
  • GOPR0056.jpg
    GOPR0056.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 103
Greetings,
Ms. b. I'm SURE it was unintentional but your first picture suggests that your captain is a problem area. As I said, surely unintentional. Might I be so bold as to suggest you hold off on any major remodeling for a period of time? Potty? Sure. That's not a major change. Live with the boat for some time (6 months+?). You may find those chest fridge/freezers and the gas stove may prove to be assets as opposed to liabilities. Keeping them would be easier on your battery bank and lessen the need to run a generator for example.
I fully appreciate your enthusiasm and the need to "nest" but go gently. You DO have a beautiful vessel.

You are right RTF I am so excited and would love to have built this boat my self. Thank You I think she is a fine boat too, but just want so bad to change it. Yes sir you are wisdom. I will do like you suggested and do the little changes. No that is not the Capt. that is our friend who came with him to bring the Rhino back to Texas. lol. We will be able to spend more time on her when I retire in June of this year. Would like to add an extension cover over back about 2', but I don't want canvas. I want a polished look with lighting and for shade. then I would like a comfy sitting area on back and up top. Just not sure if I could use pontoon or would I have to have custom built? I love to cook and entertain. My Capt. loves to watch me cook. lol, and we both like our afternoon cocktails. So bar, outdoor cooking area, fish cleaning, and comfy sitting areas would be nice. She has so much room up top and lower back decks want to take advantage of it all. We love being outside.

Welcome aboard. I am in the Clear Lake area. The boat looks familiar? Very beautiful nonetheless. And listen to RT Firefly. Those are wise words! Don't go taking out cabinets. Storage is king on a boat. If yall are ever in the Clear Lake area, look me up and come on by!! We have a pretty active group!

Greetings,
Ms. b. Retiring @ 35 eh? Must be nice. If you love cooking, what can be better than gas? Uh, oh......Well at least I didn't mention anchors....

fnny.gif

Welcome aboard. I am in the Clear Lake area. The boat looks familiar? Very beautiful nonetheless. And listen to RT Firefly. Those are wise words! Don't go taking out cabinets. Storage is king on a boat. If yall are ever in the Clear Lake area, look me up and come on by!! We have a pretty active group!

Thanks Baker. I don't need much cabinets. Just enough for knives, forks, bbq utensils, and my tequila bottles. lol. oh my blender. I have plenty of room for my fishing poles and our scuba tanks. and I am so low maintenance it ain't funny. I am a little (petite) country gal. but want it to look nice... Which marina are you in? We want to come there but want a covered slip. I am Admiral but I wipe down our teak and there is a lot of it. so any help would be appreciated. Thought about Blue Dolphin? what do you think?:)

Greetings,
Ms. b. Retiring @ 35 eh? Must be nice. If you love cooking, what can be better than gas? Uh, oh......Well at least I didn't mention anchors....

Awww.. you so sweet. I wish I was only gonna be 35 and know what I know now. lol. Well I want outside grill.. I would love it to be outside . I don't bake so don't need an oven. I can make bread on a grill and cobbler. bbq cook-offs helped me there. so what kind of gas built in grill can I put on my boat do you think? and where would I put it? I will post some more pictures of back so you can see all the space I have outside. :D

Welcome aboard. You do in fact have a beautiful boat. I am familiar with the Jarvis Newman they are superb sea boats. Please heed those who are urging patience, get a sense of how the total package works before making major changes.

Did Jarvis Newman finish her or another builder? Congratulations, you have a really excellent vessel, enjoy.

John

Are you at Sabine Pass Port Authority ? I kept a few boats there over the years. Love the place !!! Tell Art Farenholtz Bob England said hello (with a big WINK) he'll know who I am. Ask him about the Corvette I traded him for boat work.

Thank John,

I did some research on the Jarvis Newman's history and I don't think she was finished by them. I wish I knew where and who did though. To me she really looks like she was saddled with the Cabin area at a much later date? Not sure though. Yes sir, I will try to be patient. But I have OCD issues and want to tweak her. I want to keep her integrity as well. I need a place for ALL my new friends from here to be able to sit, eat, and have HAPPY HOUR with us...lol

Are you at Sabine Pass Port Authority ? I kept a few boats there over the years. Love the place !!! Tell Art Farenholtz Bob England said hello (with a big WINK) he'll know who I am. Ask him about the Corvette I traded him for boat work.

Yes sir Mr. Kulas they were great people there. But not covered. We needed covered to do some mechanical and electrical work on her. So now we are at the BYC. Just up the Neches River. Nice people there too. Hey by the way do you know a marine electrician I could use I have some issues with batteries, chargers, upper and lower helm instruments talking to each other (I guess that is what you call it). I have two planes, two other boats, and a golf cart on steroids I would love to trade for some expert work on her... lol.. but for real not joking...

Back
Top Bottom