Valve adjustment Ford Lehman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On straight six four strokes, there is an easy way to set valve lash: Roll engine so #6 exh is starting to close and intake is starting to open (valve rock). At this point both int and exh should be at (or near)zero lash. #6 piston is now at or very near tdc, but not firing. Piston #1 is also at tdc, but is firing. So set #6 to valve rock, set #1 valves.

Pistons travel in pairs: 1 and 6, 2 and 5, 3 and 4.

So rock #6, set 1. Rock 2 set 5. Rock 4 set 3. Rock 1 set 6. Rock 5 set 2. Rock 3 set 4. This is following the 153624 firing order. Rotate 120deg between settings.

This has the advantage of getting lash correct right at firing tdc, with no doubt about whether lobe is nearby or not.

Plenty of room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 599
For my 225, American Diesel sells an adapter that bolts to the pulley and has a big hex head on it. Then you can use a big socket wrench to turn the engine over. They can tell you if you need that for the 135 also. From the pictures in the manual the 135 pulley looks just like the one for the 225.

Bob

For my 225, American Diesel sells an adapter that bolts to the pulley and has a big hex head on it. Then you can use a big socket wrench to turn the engine over. They can tell you if you need that for the 135 also. From the pictures in the manual the 135 pulley looks just like the one for the 225.

Bob

Here's a picture of our SP135. Ours has the hex head. I have no idea if was a factory install or a previous owner added it.

Attachments

• Picture 524b.jpg
    Picture 524b.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 92
That doesn't match the picture in "da book". Send the picture to American Diesel and ask them if you can use that hex head to turn the engine. My pulley had the tapped holes but did not have the six hex bolts in them. The adapter mounted to those holes. It looks like you have three grooves? Those six bolts may be holding an add-on for the additional groove.

Bob

That hex looks just like mine on my 120... and yes you can use it to turn the engine over...you can even turn the engine over with 2 cylinders hydrolocked...don't ask....:D

The extra bolts are maybe for the 3rd pulley?

Find or make one of these to turn the pulley ...

Attachments

• valve wrench.jpg
    valve wrench.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 566
I sure hope so. I have been using that hex head for 7 years to adjust the valves. :)

:eek:
and i must do this too for the first time in 40 years:whistling:
I may have to stop along the way north to get help:D:D

On my 120...I have the chrome cover and cork gasket that has been reused many times and still doesn't leak...is there another type out there being used?

On my 120...I have the chrome cover and cork gasket that has been reused many times and still doesn't leak...is there another type out there being used?

Cork is all I know for the SP135. I have also reused the same gasket on Hobo with no leaks but not knowing the condition of Dauntless's, it always good to have a spare.

Cork is all I know for the SP135. I have also reused the same gasket on Hobo with no leaks but not knowing the condition of Dauntless's, it always good to have a spare.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:.................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom