Vacuflush continuously fills...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bustlebomb

Vessel Name
Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Make
1981 34 Californian LRC
I had the survey yesterday on my soon-to-be-mine boat (1981 34' Californian). Several minor things were called out but one of them was the vacuflush head continues to fill with water any time the water pump is turned on.

I think the head is supposed to fill with water when you lift up on the pedal but it feels like the pedal is already at the top of its travel. With this in mind and thinking the pedal was out of adjustment, I thought the water would stop when I pressed the pedal down slightly but this did not have any effect on the water running. The boat has been sitting for a while and I'm guessing a stuck water valve or some such thing but I could be way off base.

This is my first brush with a vacuflush and they are a different animal.

Can anyone who has vacuflush experience point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Matt

I don't know exactly. Based on my limited memory, looking at the photo I have and comparing to the web, I think it may be a 500 series.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 102
According to the manual it looks like the valve is the culprit, easy fix.....

"4 . Water does not shut off in toilet
(toilet overflows) .
a . Not enough clearance between
pedal and top of water valve
cap .
b . Dirt lodged in water valve seal .
a . Adjust cam strap so clearance is
.06 in . (1 .5 mm) max .
b . Disassemble, clean water valve"

Thanks,

Next question (and I'm asking because I don't yet have it in front of me), do you know how the valve comes apart? I'm hoping it's pretty straightforward but do you (or does anybody) have any first-hand experiences or things to avoid?

Thanks,

Next question (and I'm asking because I don't yet have it in front of me), do you know how the valve comes apart? I'm hoping it's pretty straightforward but do you (or does anybody) have any first-hand experiences or things to avoid?

I would buy a spare (I plan to) and install it, rebuild the other or because they are plastic it may be bad and not repairable...but if it can...your new spare.

I would buy a spare (I plan to) and install it, rebuild the other or because they are plastic it may be bad and not repairable...but if it can...your new spare.

I agree, thats what I did. Our has served us well for 25 years.

Yes, the valve is bad. The way a Vacuflush works is that the first inch or so of travel on the foot valve simply opens the water valve. Then if you push it down all of the way, the big ball valve opens on the bottom and vacuum sucks it out. The valve must be stuck in the first open position.

David

Sounds like a good idea. I'll buy the new one and see about rebuilding/repairing the old one as a spare. I'll try to post results next week.

I am currently knee deep into my twin Vacu-flush system. Just finished a replacement 30ft hose. Sucks......

Get the seller to fix it! And other problems found during survey too, that is the purpose of a survey.

Sea-Duction, thanks for the parts sources. One of them even has diagrams so I can get an idea of what i am looking at. Hopefully, my hose is still good as I don't relish the thought of replacing mine (even though access is relatively good and it's much less than 30 feet...)

Sunchaser, on a normal sale, I would have the seller fix these issues (or adjust the price accordingly) but this is an "as-is" estate sale so all the little issues will fall to me. In this case, the purpose of the survey was to figure out if the issues found were deal-breakers or not (and, they weren't).

Well after a month of troubleshooting and rebuilding I found my leak in the 30' hose that went to the aft head. That hose was a pain to replace as it is not very pliable at 27f.....

Sea-Duction--yuck! Both the hose and the 27f weather.

How did you find the leak? Did you use the shaving cream trick that I've read about?

Sea-Duction--yuck! Both the hose and the 27f weather.

How did you find the leak? Did you use the shaving cream trick that I've read about?

Used the cream, but the leak was somewhere in the line where it was under the floor and not at a fitting, well until I broke a "y" pipe.:facepalm:

It's all fixed now! Check out the blog for pics

Well, I didn't want to be that guy who says "I'll post results" and who then never posts results, so here it goes.

Good news and bad news -

The good news: I ordered a new water valve (less than $30 delivered from eBay) and, while I was waiting for delivery, I took apart the old one to see if I could fix it. The metal valve shaft has a whole bunch of deposits on it (similar to what hard water deposits might look like) that are preventing it from going sliding smoothly in the bore. This prevented the valve from closing and caused my initial problem. I'll soak the valve in something that will fix those deposits and keep it as a spare. I installed the new valve and...presto...no more leaks -from there....

The bad news:

I've now got a small leak when I flush. The leak is coming from up behind the bowl where the schematic shows the vacuum breaker to be. It only leaks when water is running from the water valve into the bowl. I ran out of time today and, other than checking the hose clamp to see if it was tight (it was), I haven't dug into this yet. I see the part is available online but thought I'd ask the group...

Anyone have any vacuum breaker experience? Any user serviceable parts or easy repairs or is it better to buy a new one? I'm not even sure how the breaker attaches to the bowl.

Matt

Well, I didn't want to be that guy who says "I'll post results" and who then never posts results, so here it goes.

Good news and bad news -

The good news: I ordered a new water valve (less than $30 delivered from eBay) and, while I was waiting for delivery, I took apart the old one to see if I could fix it. The metal valve shaft has a whole bunch of deposits on it (similar to what hard water deposits might look like) that are preventing it from going sliding smoothly in the bore. This prevented the valve from closing and caused my initial problem. I'll soak the valve in something that will fix those deposits and keep it as a spare. I installed the new valve and...presto...no more leaks -from there....

The bad news:

I've now got a small leak when I flush. The leak is coming from up behind the bowl where the schematic shows the vacuum breaker to be. It only leaks when water is running from the water valve into the bowl. I ran out of time today and, other than checking the hose clamp to see if it was tight (it was), I haven't dug into this yet. I see the part is available online but thought I'd ask the group...

Anyone have any vacuum breaker experience? Any user serviceable parts or easy repairs or is it better to buy a new one? I'm not even sure how the breaker attaches to the bowl.

Matt

the hose from the valve connects to the fitting with the rubber bung that just pushes up into the porcelain bowl... it is just a push in fit...more than likely it isn't seated and thus leaks when the foot valve is opens. use a small mirror and look under the back of the head and make sure it's all the way in.
HOLLYWOOD

Perfect Hollywood! Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow morning. I hope it's that easy as getting in behind the head seems to be a job for those with small hands. I don't fit that description....

The installation, parts and operating manuals are available on line :

http://www.dometicsanitation.com/International/Documents/Manuals/

I know they are clear across the country from you, but I have found the people at Environmental Marine to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable; saves a lot of time and buying the wrong thing to fix an issue. They have good prices too, once you have figured out what you need. They can suggest a good spares kit depending on model and age of your units.

Home - Traveler Toilets | Vacuum Toilet | Environmental Marine Services Inc

If you need a new one, check out the sites I posted

Thanks for all the advice. I am pleased to announce that I have a working head! Instead of just pushing in, my vacuum breaker actually has a nut that tightens down on the rubber grommet, causing it to expand so it wasn't leaking there. The leak (once I was able to get a mirror up behind the back of the head) was actually coming from the water hose that was old and cracked/worn out at the end where it attached to the vacuum breaker. I repaired it and...tadaaa.....no more leak!

Now, I just have to fix the next leak. This one is in the shower line....

Thanks again for the advice.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom