Input from A25's wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
Hello again. :flowers:

I figured out the in-place hidden wiring and in the pic below you can see the anchor/steaming light wires at the centre of the windscreen, the port wiper wiring to the left of that, and the port nav light wire exiting through the cabin wall at the bottom of the channel to the left of the windscreen. Since none of these items work I have to figure out the best way to switch them. I want to rip out that grey box with the anchor light switch box and find a more elegant solution.

So again - you other 25-ers, how are your switches for these things located. On a panel? Separate toggles? Also - pics of panels etc. would be hugely helpful.

Attachments

• 20140125_150529.jpg
    20140125_150529.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 407
Hello Sunset,
I sold my A25 10 years ago but here's my take.
I think the wiring went through holes in the foam between the FG. I don't think I had any wires exposed inside the boat. The wires came out roughly at the base of the mini mast. I'm sure there wasn't a box in the middle like in your pic. Looks like backyard stuff yo got there mate.

Are you on the Albineers of BC web site? There's lots of stuff to go digging for there. They put together a book about problems and solutions re the boat and I'll bet they reran that book. You may be able to get a copy.

Thanks MB - I've now ripped that box off and intend to trace the bundle of wires so I can fire up the Nav anchor lights, and install a wiper witch at the dash. I need at least one wiper as well.

I have tried several times to join the BC Albineers but cannot get a response nor an acceptance. Very frustrating. I guess I'll give it another shot.

Unable to even APPLY to join the BC google group. Must be some kind of secret handshake. *sigh*

So I'll try another question here, see what bounces: mystery issue per pics below. Pic 1 is the 12V plug I installed, thinking that I was replacing the odd plug shown in Pic 2 which I removed. BUT now that I am checking circuits with the VOM, turns out that this item is not powered from the panel after all, but rather seems to SUPPLY power to one of the wires in the clump located at the top of the windshield, per pic 3. Any thoughts on what the heck is gping on?:facepalm:

Attachments

• Plugin1.jpg
    Plugin1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 20140217_115202.jpg
    20140217_115202.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 20140217_110558.jpg
    20140217_110558.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 136
Here's the back of ,my panel all labelled up, and a chart of what is where. I would love it if other A25 ers would post pics of their panels so I could get some idea of where to go from here.

Attachments

• PanelLabeled.jpg
    PanelLabeled.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Panelchart.jpg
    Panelchart.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 124
Did some research for you.

Haven't been on the Albineer's site for a long time. Had to reset my password ect. Go to this web address.

https://sites.google.com/site/albineersofbc/home?pli=1

See the small lettered "sign in" on the bottom and set up your account.

Let me know if/when you get in.

Last edited:
Thanks MB - I was able to get to the forum posts but unable to apply to join. When I try "Apply to join group" in Chrome or in IE, the message box does not proceed, but the "you do not have permission to join this discussion" box does pop up.

Grrrr . . . :blush:

"you do not have permission to join this discussion" box does pop up.

I haven't got past that either. It's a very difficult site to operate/navigate. I hope other Google stuff isn't that bad. The young man that set up the site is a PC/Google guy. Keep at it. It's a very good group. Too bad your not over here so you could go to the cruise-ins. They usually have 10 or so boats in attendance. Just being able to read the site will be a good thing for you.

Possibly someone will have asked questions similar to those I have. :)

A couple hours of wire cleanup would go a long way. A 25's have been around so long that they all have been added to. Probably not many stock elect panels around.

More than a "couple"!
Following the suggestion from Boating How To Forum I think I am going to leave the circuits that are active with engine running on the existing odd fuse panel and install a new breaker panel for the house circuits. Also new battery cables and an ACR with some circuit protection in the battery area. And try to make the nest look a little tidier.

Sunset,
I have a book "Boat Owner's Illustrated .. Electrical Handbook". I'll send it to you if you like.

Very generous of you MB - however I already have that book and a couple of others as well. I have been studying them and even took an evening course with the Power Squadron. I have a pretty good concept of the basics but no handson exp. with how different systems are physically set up. The books don,t provide an Idiots Guide for folks like me!

My electrical panel in our 1976 A-25 looks pretty much like yours, Sunset. I plan to install a new electrical incorporating circuit breakers instead of fuses on a bus bar and transfer things over one at a time. Lighting circuits would be first; the engine panel would be last.

Moby - I hope we can keep each other current on progress. I would enjoy seeing a pic of your current panel (front and back) if you get a chance to get in there at some pint.

Moby Nick - Just an electrical update showing my slow progress, but I am about ready to finish up with all work up to the new breaker board. Just have to figure the best spot to squeeze the ACR in.

Attachments

• 2014-05-04 14.02.24.jpg
    2014-05-04 14.02.24.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 138

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom