Hailing port letters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Got word that the Coasties in our area are goin' to tighten up on the hailing ports on the back of documented vessels. Must be block letters and 4" high. Is this a national thing, or just here in San Diego?

It's a nationwide, USCG requirement if your boat is USCG documented. Four inches is the minimum. The location needn't be your home port. Any USA town, city, or village is OK.

img_218854_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

Last edited:
I always wondered why some "home ports" don't have enough water to float a canoe.

I'm glad to hear there is at least some enforcement of this. Illegible boat names and ports is a pet peeve of mine. Half the time it's the owners selection of a fancy font that makes it illegible.

Ranks right up there with names that are impossible to pronounce

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

img_218953_0_634db8f05da4c9edd78b65b31063a65b.jpg

When I was doing the transom name, it was made clear to me to make the hailing port 4 inches minimum and all capital or block letters.

img_218953_1_13f0b0ec3c5f37a975572c58c1488744.jpg

Now that USCG Station Vallejo is located about 50 ft off my transom, I'm relieved to know I did it right. Every day when they back out of their slips, they see my transom.

And the Vallejo USCG has the firepower to enforce.

img_218964_0_7b181ebd40fdca1bed24dcb3f9b1c3fe.jpg

Last edited:
Here's ours.

Attachments

• image-488155846.jpg
    image-488155846.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 216
Ancora,
I agree .. hailing ports should have nothing to do w where the owner lives. It's all about where the boat lives. Walla Walla WA (in the middle of Washington state) is not a port.

Mark,
Looks like the USCG boat is about ready to go down stern first.

From the USCG Documentation website:

Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port. The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. Once established, a vessel's name may not be changed without application, fees, and the consent of the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center. There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

From the USCG Documentation website:

All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals.

So, where is the requirement that the name or port be in block letters, as long as they are clearly legible?

I don't see that there is a requirement for "block" letters. If the boat is not documented but state registered, the state (my state, anyway) requires 3 inch "Block" letters and numbers for the registration number. There is usually no state requirement for a name or home port. So on a state registered, non-documented vessel you can use all the frilly, unreadable letters you want for the name. But the registration numbers must comply with state requirements.

The "Block Lettering" confusion may come from the Official Number requirement that goes on the interior of the boat: "The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull."

Last edited:
Ours isn't block lettered and it's over 4" tall (actually about 7") so I guess it qualifies...

img_219043_0_7100b8e48cf43ba711127e71424aee2e.jpg

I'm not sure this name would pass the "may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language" requirement.

Attachments

• titan-uranus.jpg
    titan-uranus.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,410
Stainless-steel lettering:

img_219102_0_bbf9d7024cce1042fcb2cfea3269f47f.jpg

That's a good one. It's got some personal style to it, but it still totally legible.
Yep, funny part is we really didn't know what the guy was going do ( we gave the boat yard a template, said we want it like this and they had their guy do it) so we were darn happy at the results.

Attachments

• image-897551777.jpg
    image-897551777.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 98
One thing I don't like about the USCG hailing port regulations is that not just the city name, but also the state name (optionally abbreviated), is supposed to be shown. This serves no purpose in many cases (how many Seattle's are there, anyway?), and is plain ugly. Just port name: classy. Port name and state abbreviation: tacky.

Classy:
img_219347_0_a0244593254195c22ea7b801c596f8e5.jpg

Tacky:
2008-04-16_5370_Hanaleiclose.tif.jpg

I rest my case.

OK, so what are the advantages to the recreational boater of USCG documentation vs. State registration?

My documentation is free, state registration costs money, but not sure how much.

OK, so what are the advantages to the recreational boater of USCG documentation vs. State registration?
I have no idea if it's true a friend told me years ago on a CG documented boat the owner paid no property tax. For this the Govt. in case of national emergency could commandeer your vessel. At some point this changed and some states started to collect tax on all boats.

It used to be in Louisiana a documented boat didn't need state registration. About 5 years ago the state started requiring registration of documented boats also. I keep up the documentation although I haven't had any particular advantage from it.

I have no idea if it's true a friend told me years ago on a CG documented boat the owner paid no property tax. For this the Govt. in case of national emergency could commandeer your vessel. At some point this changed and some states started to collect tax on all boats.

I pay the same property tax in CA on my documented vessel as state registered vessels pay. I've not heard of a federal property tax....yet.

USCG Documentation FAQ

If you don't have a commercial vessel or one of historical interest, don't cruise internationally, and don't mind ugly state registration numbers on your bow, there is probably not any real advantage.

I don't see any great advantage to being documented. Some try to use it as a tax dodge, but technically it isn't. Some get away without paying state sales tax if they have it documented in a no tax state like Delaware. Sales tax states can demand the tax if you keep it in state beyond the state's time limit, which varries by state. In most states you must register the boat even if it is documented and get a registration number and a sticker. You must display the sticker that shows you have paid the sales tax (state law) but if you are documented you are required to NOT display the registration number (federal law).

I found there is one advantage to BUYING a documented boat. You can get the documentation history which lists all the previous owners, boat names, as well as lien holders and the satisfactions of mortgage. So, you can have more assurance of a clean title.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom