View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #34
caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Hatteras is doing more than OK. At the Miami show alone they closed on two more of their new 100' motor yachts (introduced last year, now up to hull #4) plus an 80MY and a 60 MY. They are introducing new modes such as the 70MY and the 70GT sport fisher. Among other boats at the FTL show they sold three of the 77' convertibles into the middle east. Dubai and that area have become such a good market they are at the Dubai boat show.

Viking is another make doing quite well, they dominate the production SF market now, admittedly a lot of that at Hatteras' expense but also Bertram. Three new Vikings became berthed at our marina in the past 18 months, 30 scant miles from the Hatteras plant. You go by the Viking facility in New Gretna and they are jamming. Reportedly they are getting back into the motor yacht building business themselves, having previously teamed with Princess in the recent past for MYs.

I know less about Marlowe, but by all appearances are thriving and expanding. Like wise, Lazzara. The larger custom builders in North Carolina such as Jarrett Bay, Spencer and Bayliss have backlogs. So it appears, at least, that the guys catering to the "top 5%" are doing ok.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote