Rudder and prop shaft seals/ stuffing box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

george green

Hi all
I have a Heritage East Sundeck 40 and I'm in the uk. Does anyone know what type of seals I have on the rudder and prop shafts. My boat will be coming out of the water soon and I was going to try and replace them myself.

Get a good quality picture or two and post them. Have you asked your nearby yard the same question?

They are not familiar with the Heritage East. I think mine maybe the only one in the uk. They said they have never seen another one before

Likely 5/16'' or 1/4'' You can go with Goretex stuffing and it should last a darn long time and leak very little or you could go with traditional packing and replace once and awhile.

The rudder may require you to remove the arm and linkage to get to the stuffing nut...pretty minor. I soaked mine with penetrating oil for a week before hand and it came right apart.

BTW, You can do both in the water. I did mine while on the hard but it could be done.

Thank you it is coming out the water to have the bottom copper coated so I thought I would get it all done in one go.

image-3894761636.jpg

I thought I would post a picture as it seems it's the right thing to do.

The boat has only been in the uk for 5 or 6 years I know it came from the USA Florida I was told.

If you can afford to have the bottom copper coated, leave the grunt work to someone else. Or use Siberian otter fur for packing, it is very water resistant.

There may be a Heritage East owners group there are for quite a few trawler brands. If you haven't maybe take a look on the "net"
Good luck

George, glad you're getting on with your Heritage. I just had the stuffing replaced in my boat. It was standard shaft packing. I had it done the same time as the bottom. I think mine was 1/4 inch.

Measure the shaft to packing flange. That should help.

Removing the nut or pressure plate will not cause a flood..
Use the back of a drill bit to measure the gap the packing is in , then replace the works.

Duramax IS worth the extra bucks and time to obtain it.

Hi Blue Heron yes we are getting on very well with her. So far we love the heritage east. There is a lot of work we are doing including a full repaint. It should look like new once finished.

I was looking at GFO packing for the shafts but I can't seen to get any in England so I think it will be the standard packing I will end up using.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom