What Type of Carpet To Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstauffer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenus
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
I have a 44' Tollycraft CMY that is needing a capet change out. I want to stay with carpet, but not sure what type of carpet to use. Should it be just a commercial grade indoor carpet? When I look on the internet for marine carpets what mostly comes up is a type of indoor/outdoor carpet that is used in bass boats and the type. I would suspect I would want something that would withstand heavy use and be mildew resistant but not sure I need the UV protection. I have not pulled up any of the existing carpet yet to see if I can tell what type was used or even if I could tell without taking a piece of it to a carpet dealer. It is a 1988 boat and I think it is original so it has held up well.

Also, is foam the best underlayment for the carpet? This carpet will not be just laid down on the floor but will be secured (tacked) around the edges.

Thanks

I have a 44' Tollycraft CMY that is needing a capet change out. I want to stay with carpet, but not sure what type of carpet to use. Should it be just a commercial grade indoor carpet? When I look on the internet for marine carpets what mostly comes up is a type of indoor/outdoor carpet that is used in bass boats and the type. I would suspect I would want something that would withstand heavy use and be mildew resistant but not sure I need the UV protection. I have not pulled up any of the existing carpet yet to see if I can tell what type was used or even if I could tell without taking a piece of it to a carpet dealer. It is a 1988 boat and I think it is original so it has held up well. Also, is foam the best underlayment for the carpet? This carpet will not be just laid down on the floor but will be secured (tacked) around the edges. Thanks
Any indoor carpet will do.

Attachments

• image-1461324825.jpg
    image-1461324825.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 141
  • image-1810322301.jpg
    image-1810322301.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1436796941.jpg
    image-1436796941.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 110
Standard indoor carpet and the padding of your choice.

A boat that size is a house. :)

We used industrial grade indoor carpeting in our old Mainship with regular foam padding. We installed it just like it would be done in a house, except the edges of the hatches were tucked and tacked. The center section was bound so we could roll it up and acess the engine.
It lasted 14 years and still looked good.

jleonard...what do you mean the center section was bound? Are they bound by some kind of tacking or tape? I do have three engine accesses in the floor. The existing carpet has each access door carpeted separately.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Bound usually means an edging is sewn all around to keep the carpet from unraveling.

We have small 6x10 areas so have all the carpet bound , nothing tacked down.

Folks wintering aboard might cover all the interior with bathroom carpet for the mud /snow season.

It can be cut to fit (no binding needed ) and carried out as required to a commercial washing machine.

The liveaboards will usually be bare foot , but in winter its hard to have an on-board mud room , to get your visitors to shed much of their winter garb . and boots!

jleonard...what do you mean the center section was bound? Are they bound by some kind of tacking or tape? I do have three engine accesses in the floor. The existing carpet has each access door carpeted separately.

Thanks

As FF answered. The boat had 5 hatches down the center of the salon. I could roll the carpet either way depending on which hatches I wanted access to.

Ours is a nylon berber which withstands moisture and UV well. We have a fiber padding that is stapled to the subfloor. The carpet 'floats' to allow its removal when opening the ER hatches in the salon.

It's just a little hard on the knees and light on the padding. It could probably use a padding upgrade but the carpet shows no signs of wear. We have added a few oriental rugs to the traffic areas to soften the feel underfoot.

we use commercial carpet tiles. 18" x 18".
These have the pad built in.
Installed wall to wall over plywood or interlocking foam pad(in the pilothouse) and stay put just fine.

When I need access, just pull them up and stack them in order so I can get them back in place easily.

This set has about 10 years and look great, I will be replacing one or two tiles from staining this spring

Again we have standard residential carpet installed with tack strips. However we used rubber sound insulation as the padding, it cost more but made a big difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Carpet

Jerry, we just completed updating N3522 with all new interior and we used the same interior decorator that did our previous Nordhavn's and who has a very good reputation in the Nordhavn community. His name is Jeddy of Jeddy's Interiors located in Dana Point Ca. He only uses the best materials and it may be worth giving him a call. Our carpet is a house quality berber with a special non-slip mat on the backside. Good luck.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad

Attachments

• N3522 carpet2.jpg
    N3522 carpet2.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 471
Again we have standard residential carpet installed with tack strips. However we used rubber sound insulation as the padding, it cost more but made a big difference.

I like that idea! I might have to steal that for our boat! Thanks mbevins!

My pleasure

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. mbevins...where did you find the rubber sound insulated padding?

You should be able to get it at most chandlries. I installed it 12 years ago. It is 1/2" thick with a thin layer of lead in the middle.

We use thick mold proof foam pad and good quality berber carpet. Throws atop in heavy travel paths with a thick pile throw at salon entry for shoe crap while people remove them.

I have a 44' Tollycraft CMY that is needing a capet change out. I want to stay with carpet, but not sure what type of carpet to use. Should it be just a commercial grade indoor carpet? When I look on the internet for marine carpets what mostly comes up is a type of indoor/outdoor carpet that is used in bass boats and the type. I would suspect I would want something that would withstand heavy use and be mildew resistant but not sure I need the UV protection. I have not pulled up any of the existing carpet yet to see if I can tell what type was used or even if I could tell without taking a piece of it to a carpet dealer. It is a 1988 boat and I think it is original so it has held up well. Also, is foam the best underlayment for the carpet? This carpet will not be just laid down on the floor but will be secured (tacked) around the edges. Thanks

Look for BCF nylon loop. Its stain proof, water proof, won't mold ,feels great on bare feet and doesn't shed. Masland and Dixie are the two big manufacturers. You can laminate padding to the backing and bind the edges making removal and replacement a one step operation.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom