GTC Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I have a charter coming up in Abaco this June with the wife and kids, and if I want to be able to go to Green Turtle Cay they charge another $250. I have been to the Abacos before but not been to GTC. Is that worth the extra charge? We are chartering a Fountaine Pajot 40' powercat.

Thanks!

I'm interested to hear your feedback about the 40 FP Cat. I sure like the layout, but haven't been aboard one and....well, you know the pictures can sometimes be mis-leading. Check out the storage. From the pictures, looks as if that was sacrificed a bit for living space. When you're finished there, pop over to Tortolla and charter a Leopard 38 and 47.

When I finish this charter I'm gonna pop on back to the car lot and sell some cars, because I'll be broke!

Not interested in buying one of the FP Summerlad 40 Powercats-- I just wanted to charter a cat and check them out. See if we like it. See if I can dock it. :)

The Leopards look interesting, and I want to get on a PDQ 34 cat one of these days as well. I know a guy in Houston who just bought one but he won't invite me down... ;-)

Last edited:
I have a charter coming up in Abaco this June with the wife and kids, and if I want to be able to go to Green Turtle Cay they charge another $250. I have been to the Abacos before but not been to GTC. Is that worth the extra charge? We are chartering a Fountaine Pajot 40' powercat.

Thanks!

It would depend on how much time you have. If only a week it would probably not be worth it. There's plenty to do from Treasure Cay and below for a week. I think a must not miss spot is Fowl Cays reef. It can be spectacular. The kids would enjoy Hope Town and Tahitti Beach. We enjoy it all.

Really, I think the best anchoring is GTC and above, but on a short charter I don't know.

I have a charter coming up in Abaco this June with the wife and kids, and if I want to be able to go to Green Turtle Cay they charge another $250. I have been to the Abacos before but not been to GTC. Is that worth the extra charge? We are chartering a Fountaine Pajot 40' powercat. Thanks!
I would. were going be there right in that time frame see ya there hopefully.

We are in Abaco for two weeks so that's why I was thinking about GTC. We have been before but missed GTC.

We stayed in hope town at a marina (can't remember which one-- need to look at my notes) last time for a couple of nights and really enjoyed it.

I don't remember Fowl Cay reef. Is that the nature preserve that's a good snorkeling spot that you have to park around the corner and then dingy up to the mooring balls?

We have some friends coming for week two and they chartered a big cat sailboat, so it should be a good trip.

Oliver we will be there June 14-28fh. We will be on a FP power cat. Not sure of color. I know what your boat looks like so if I see you I will call you on the radio.

Last edited:
Would you be restricted to Green Turtle ? There are some other good spots north of the whale, like Manjack, Allens Pensacola and some decent snorkeling a short walk/dinghy ride around or across the keys

Would you be restricted to Green Turtle ? There are some other good spots north of the whale, like Manjack, Allens Pensacola and some decent snorkeling a short walk/dinghy ride around or across the keys

Good question. I need to ask them. Thanks.

two shots of GT and one of Manjack ... You'll have a great time !

Attachments

• GT1.jpg
    GT1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 234
  • gt2.jpg
    gt2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 310
  • manjack.gif
    manjack.gif
    86 KB · Views: 302
Some pics of GTC, from about three years ago.
5678-albums193-picture919.jpg
5678-albums193-picture918.jpg
5678-albums193-picture915.jpg
5678-albums193-picture914.jpg

Attachments

• image-595651888.jpg
    image-595651888.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
With 2 weeks I would say go for it. It could be a good idea to head up that way for the first week in case you have to wait out weather to get back around Whale Cay Passage.

I think you have the right picture of Fowl Cay. Anchor inside the Cay, and take the dinghy out to a mooring. Great diving. Probably the best in the Abacos.

Greetings,
Mr. car01. MY take on this. You're there for 2 weeks. Relax, enjoy, snorkel, hit the local bars, do a little fishing and chill. GTC will still be there when you have more time to explore. A parrot fish looks the same in Treasure Caye as one in GTC. It's a vacation after all not a "see 15 countries in 8 days tour. Oh, and the first thing you gotta do is find a bakery!
Mr, N4712. Nice snappers.

With 2 weeks I would say go for it. It could be a good idea to head up that way for the first week in case you have to wait out weather to get back around Whale Cay Passage. I think you have the right picture of Fowl Cay. Anchor inside the Cay, and take the dinghy out to a mooring. Great diving. Probably the best in the Abacos.

Not so funny story when were snorkeling there last time with the family. My oldest I and I took off out of the dingy to check it out and left my wife and youngest son (12 at the time) who were still getting ready. We kind of lost track of time snorkeling and when I finally looked around I couldn't see them in the water or in the dingy. They are both good swimmers but there was a pretty strong current and it had pulled them away from the reef. I swam to the dingy and hauled ass over and picked them up. Felt pretty stupid for not keeping track of everyone.

Thanks for all the pics and the advice everyone! We are leaving for a spring break ski trip to Colorado tomorrow with a Suburban full of kids, but those pics have me jonesing for the Bahamas!

RT thanks for the thoughts. I'm probably going to try to head to GTC and check it out however, weather permitting. I promise to chill! And how did you know I have to make myself chill? Have you met me? Lol.

Last edited:
Mr, N4712. Nice snappers.
Yeah, that was straight off the dock, we put two lines out, went to dinner and came back reeled them in, along with a couple other family members.:D The key to fishing in the Bahamas is the conch slop for bait.

Great Scott!

Too funny RT.

We are leaving for a spring break ski trip to Colorado tomorrow with a Suburban full of kids, but those pics have me jonesing for the Bahamas!

We're also heading out to Sun Valley on Monday. Got relatives staying at the house and friends on the boat....glad to escape.

Good luck and have a safe trip, Cardude.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the boat. I liked it, especially for the area it is in. However, I believe it is a $600,000+ boat when new and I just don't see it. But to each his own. For my all around use I'm pursuing a mono hull (DeFever).
Enjoy the trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom