Raw water pump yes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Dawn as impeller lube. Get some between the vanes with a stick or qtip, then roll engine by hand half a turn or so, makes impeller easier to pull.

Don't worry about which way the vanes point going in, they will straighten them selves out once motor fires. Soap suds out tailpipe tell you it is pumping.

. anyone got any tips for this kind of job?

Note which way the vanes face and install the replacement the same way. They would realign when you start the engine but why not avoid that extra stress on the part?

Use glycerine or KY jelly as a lubricant on the housing and the impeller.

Use a plastic wire tie to compress the impeller blades (facing the correct way) to get the impeller started into the housing. The tie can be pulled off and discarded after the impeller is almost all the way into the housing.

Every time you shutdown the engine, it kicks back a quarter turn or so and vanes reverse. Then straighten out on startup. That's why you can ignore vane position.

Zip ties also handy for squeezing vanes together.

great tips guys...will try today on pump#2

Thanks for keeping them straight, Ski!!!!

Folks, Ski will not bang on his own drums but I am here to tell you this is a very competent fella when it comes to recreational marine diesels. He is one of the most knowledgeable contributors over on boatdiesel.com....and there are some smart dudes over there. Anyway, he is likely too humble to beat his chest about what he knows...but he does know what he is talking about.

It's a pleasure(and an asset)to have you here, Ski!!!

Last edited:
I agree..his advise was used today with total success. the zip tie trick worked great...just the kind of weird tip I like:dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom