Green Lights. What are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have 3208 T/As in my Camarque. On the dash there are two green square lights under the RPM gage. I was thing they were sych lights, but I have a sych gage.

What are these lights?

Do they go on and off? If so, does the pattern seem to change as the engines are synced? They might be fast/slow engine indicators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they go on and off? If so, does the pattern change as the engines are synced? They might be fast/slow engine indicators.

Yeah, they come on, but not sure if they go off. Will have to monitor more closly. My guess is cheap sync lights, but my Cat manual doesn't address them.

I would get behind the panel and see what they are hooked to. Sounds more like an engine "good" light if they are always on with the engine running. What happens when you start one engine? Does the light come on when the low oil pressure alarm clears?
Never heard of "cheap" sync lights. They would have to be driven by a synchronizer or a sync tach.

Last edited:
They may have nothing to do with Cat. They may well have been installed by the P.O

Yes, take a look in the manual.
Maybe there is a name somewhere.

They indicate when the alternators are charging.

I always thought that if the alternator was spinning, it was charging. Learned something new today, thanks.

I always thought that if the alternator was spinning, it was charging. Learned something new today, thanks.

It can spin at lower RPMs without charging till the field is excited- as soon as the alt starts charging, the light comes on.

Thanks Peter!! It was good meeting you at the boat show!

Back
Top Bottom