Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #18
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Larry's Hobo has a range of 2000 miles or so, easy for him to have no concern about range. Better yet, smart of him to have a vessel that can safely handle Mexico's west coast winds, currents and iffy fuel stops.

The most common run is San Diego to Cabo San Lucas or La Paz. A look at the MVs anchored and berthed that do this routinely will find few if any that have a range with 1/3 remaining of less than 500 miles.

Once around the tip of Baja and headed into the Gulf, Mulege and Loretta are great stops. Venturing further south towards Costa Rica requires some forward thinking and planning regarding weather windows and security. To do this in a vessel that requires daily fuel stops is not my cup of tea.
Yes, having some range is nice, but it is not necessary to make this trip.

You have over a period of time, in many threads advocated for the capacity of making long distance trips offshore, creating multi day 24X7 legs. I respect that. Your boat has the capability.

While my boat has the capability to safely make travels in excess of what I consider the safe 72 hour weather forecast window, I have chosen on my long distance journeys not to do that. Instead I have chosen to hop from place to place during the day. To me thats more fun. To me, voyaging isn't looking at blue water under my keel, its looking at the towns along the way. Personally I could go out and make a big circle for three straight days and see the same blue water under my keel, but that would not be much fun, to me.

So, while our cruising styles might be different, and I again respect that, we need to recognize that they are both valid methods of cruising along any coast line from Seward Alaska, through the canal and as far as Nova Scotia.

While my boat has a safe range of 600+ miles, I would advocate that this kind of range is not necessary to make any coastal journey in North America.

Again, and I keep saying this. Its not about the boat. Its about us, and our ability to get the time to make the trip.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote