• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: 46' efficiency trawler Winnie the Pooh, $79,900

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
photos I've taken around Miami lately.
IMG782.jpg

IMG827.jpg

IMG828-1-1.jpg

IMG806.jpg This was actually for sale at the Boat Show!

Seems well done, but as he asked himself in his blog: "why?". He took a boat that sails great, had fresh air and a view from a easily accessed cockpit, and then totally eliminated those positives. My back hurts from just imagining how one must now enter and exit the wheelhouse, or carrying groceries from the dock to the galley, and how unergonomic sitting in the helm chairs must be for those with long legs.
It's in the same vein of Franks 30' houseboat with 4 250 hp Yamahas I posted in the VW mini van thread. This guy should had just bought a old Lindsey or Lancer motorsailer that already had a nice ergonomic pilothouse to transform. Used to see lots of these "imaginings" back when acid and hashish were readily available. Nice to see he finished it. That all said I like it and would likely buy it (I like weird) if I saw it- IF I could first find some hashish. Too bad Florida isn't Colorado, then it would be much easier to sell the bizarre.

Last edited:
I thought about doing this myself ... converting a sailboat to a trawler.

But I was going to gut the hull and wind up w something like a sailboat hull w a Nordic Tug like cabin. And much smaller.

I like the Pooh a lot.

Here's another sailboat converted to powerboat. This one is being converted to an offshore fishing boat. New 4 cyl JD.

Attachments

• DSCF0207 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0207 copy 2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 185
That POS is ferrocement too- in the words of:imagesCAMGFYED.jpgDrugs are bad.

Wait. I thought all HWI's were glass. i guess i learn something new everyday.

PK,
Of course it's ferrocement but what's that got to do with it's being a converted sailboat? Drugs ???? She's not very fair either. But economical and a good boat to spend offshore in.

One of the biggest problems (there are quite a few) of converting a SB to a Trawler is that most trawlermen (by a long shot) cherish their ability to go faster that displacement speeds either once and a while or all the time. Very very few of those trawlermen are going to be interested in going at displacement speeds (1 knot below HS) and because of their short water lines due to their overhang (frequently at both ends) the sailboats are slower than the slow. This excludes modern sailboats that have extremely long WLs compared to trawlers.

:flowers:
PK,
Of course it's ferrocement but what's that got to do with it's being a converted sailboat? Drugs ???? She's not very fair either. But economical and a good boat to spend offshore in.

My point was that good acid and weed, were probably responsible for having the original idea that ferrocement was a good idea, back when that boat was built, what in the late 60's -early 70's? And then probably further contributed to the idea of "since we have no money for spars, rigging, and sails, I KNOW, let's make it into a power boat by enclosing the cockpit-that should work". Hey, at least they finished it and it's floating. I've seen plenty of them abandoned in fields, or busted up and taken to the dump by new owners of the property. I've literally watched skinny young long haired dudes turn into fat bald old men and NEVER launch their dreams, so that's better than nothing. :flowers:
Like the converter of the Heritage stated- BALLAST had to be removed, to prevent the snap roll of a sailboat without spars to balance the motion.
As soon as Florida has legal weed, like Colorado, then all these creative boats will find homes, like back in the good ole days when we were skinny young dudes with long hair. :>)

The Pooh is pretty spiffy. I'd take a peek at it if I wasn't so darned covered up with work. Missed Miami Show,...now Trawler Fest.:mad:

I like it. If it handles well in the sea, looks like a great boat for someone.

I do too!! If I were in looking for a shorter range passage maker on the cheap, I think this boat definitely would deserve a look!

My point was that good acid and weed, were probably responsible for having the original idea that ferrocement was a good idea,

The US NAVY thought ferrocement was a great idea for barges etc during WWII.

############

Winny the Poo is a neighbor , in the same hurricane hole development.

I have been aboard and she is a VERY nice boat , ready to go with no to do or work list.

If you stop buy , come on over and say hi, 2 blocks away.

Last edited:
I do too!! If I were in looking for a shorter range passage maker on the cheap, I think this boat definitely would deserve a look!

While admiring the thought, effort, and finish of his creation, if I wanted a short range boat (which it is) I would want a much faster one with shallower draft, and if seeking a long range passagemaker I likely would choose a unmollested Heritage 46' which are actually pretty good sailing boats, that burn no fuel for less money. This is sorta like buying a Prius then at great effort and expense **** canning the hybrid part. Plus sailboats are hard enough to get in and out of, that building a hardtop, and installing helm seats to navigate around and under would get old quick. There's just so many naval architect designed boats out there, that it would take a very low price point for this one to rise to the top in a logical persons buying process. Custom cars are the same way. You see guys that chopped tops on previously beautiful designs, eliminate windshield wipers who then seem surprised the low auction offers they receive compared to the virgins.
:hide:

Last edited:
Winnie the Pooh for Sale, $84,900, this is mine.

I just joined this forum a couple of days ago. Today I came here to post my ad, and Surprise! someone has already done it for me. Some of the responses got a little jumbled (the ferrocement boat was not Pooh), so let me clarify a few things. I am a mechanical engineer with 14 years in the aerospace industry. Pooh is my second major boat rehab project. The work is of professional quality, and the design has now been tested by time. :)

We wanted a very efficient (low fuel and maintenance expense) fiberglass trawler that could go long distances, stay on the hook for years, and have sufficient space for living and working aboard. Nearly all trawlers sold in the US have engines much larger than needed to reach hull speed, so I knew efficiency could be substantially increased (We get 7.5 kts @1.5gph). We had already cruised for 2 years on a 36' Soverel sailboat which I had re-engined(34 hp Yanmar) and cut the keel down to 5', and were used to running with the engine most of the time. Seemed to me a sailboat hull could make a very good trawler with just a little work....turned out to be a lot of work. We started with a Heritage West Indies 46 ketch, a Charley Morgan design. We cut the keel from a draft of 6'6" to 4'8" at full load. Built a pilothouse over the center cockpit from foam cored glass, and remodeled the interior. Replaced the engine and driveline, added tankage, There was a lot more to it, but that's the short version.

We lived and cruised aboard Pooh from his launching in 1997 until 2007, doing the ICW, Canadian canals, Erie canal, Bahamas, Tenn-Tom and Tennessee River, and the gulf coast to New Orleans. In 2004 We bought a home in Turkey Creek, a canal development on the Okechobee Waterway about 50 miles inland from Ft. Myers, FL. We've now decided it is time to give up cruising and pursue other interests.

If this boat might interest you, please see my extensive ad with many photos at Winnie the Pooh Thanks
Mark Richter, phone 863-517-1152 richter-pooh@rocketmail.com

By the way, Charley Morgan called me today to say how much he liked Pooh and wish me well on the sale. He had come aboard for a tour back about 1999 at a Trawlerfest in Melbourne, FL.

Mark, just to clear things up....the original posting with a link at the top of the page has a price difference of $5000. Potential buyers might need some clarification there.

With that said, good luck on the sale. That is a very nice boat and will make someone a very nice cruising platform!

While admiring the thought, effort, and finish of his creation, if I wanted a short range boat (which it is) I would want a much faster one with shallower draft, and if seeking a long range passagemaker I likely would choose a unmollested Heritage 46' which are actually pretty good sailing boats, that burn no fuel for less money. This is sorta like buying a Prius then at great effort and expense **** canning the hybrid part. Plus sailboats are hard enough to get in and out of, that building a hardtop, and installing helm seats to navigate around and under would get old quick. There's just so many naval architect designed boats out there, that it would take a very low price point for this one to rise to the top in a logical persons buying process. Custom cars are the same way. You see guys that chopped tops on previously beautiful designs, eliminate windshield wipers who then seem surprised the low auction offers they receive compared to the virgins.
:hide:

Okay....how about a medium(ish) range full displacement passage maker. I don't like sailboats. I don't like all of the CRAP above deck.

Show me a 5mpg 40ft+ full displacement mass produced motorboat with a 1500+ range? It simply does not exist. I am telling you. If I were going cruising in a motorboat and wanted to keep my purchase price reasonable, this boat would be hard to overlook. It will serve somebody quite well for motor cruising!!! And FYI, all that CRAP above deck on a sailboat isn't free!!! It costs money to replace. It costs money to maintain. And it costs money(and SPACE!!!) to maintain a spare parts inventory of all that CRAP!!!!

PS...if someone forced a Prius upon me, I would be under the hood trying to figure out how to put a Chevy small block in it!!!...;)

Last edited:
PS...if someone forced a Prius upon me, I would be under the hood trying to figure out how to put a Chevy small block in it!!!...;)
I'm not the one who will be drawn into a conversation about going slow, but IF you wanna talk going faster, then I'm your guy.
Rolling Tamiami at over 100 with the top down.jpg

I'm rolling Tamiami at over 100 mph with the top down

811768_10_thumb.jpg
Cruising 64 mph in triple diesel Fountain 48', which can run from Key West to Cancun burning 1 gallon per mile at over 50 mph. Why would you want to dawdle? Are we talking money or time? Many think it's easier to make more money in the time wasted going slow-so you can easily pay for the fuel. That's why triple and quadruple outboard powered boats are selling like crazy, and fuel efficient boats quit selling back in the 80's. Hmmm.
Below-Sleek new European boats vs. Old American boats. :>O

Attachments

• Euro.jpg
    Euro.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
PK,
But we are lovers of old American boats.
Aren't they fat in Europe too?
That red head is really cute.

I'm not the one who will be drawn into a conversation about going slow, but IF you wanna talk going faster, then I'm your guy.
View attachment 27795

I'm rolling Tamiami at over 100 mph with the top down

View attachment 27796
Cruising 64 mph in triple diesel Fountain 48', which can run from Key West to Cancun burning 1 gallon per mile at over 50 mph. Why would you want to dawdle? Are we talking money or time? Many think it's easier to make more money in the time wasted going slow-so you can easily pay for the fuel. That's why triple and quadruple outboard powered boats are selling like crazy, and fuel efficient boats quit selling back in the 80's. Hmmm.
Below-Sleek new European boats vs. Old American boats. :>O

I always thought that after doing the loop at 6-8 knots and striving to keep the costs down in all the different ways possible....sell the boat...take the cash..buy something that runs between 30-50mph...run the loop again, this time staying where you want in bed/breakfasts or luxury hotels and see which is more fun.....:D

I'm not the one who will be drawn into a conversation about going slow...
Cruising 64 mph in triple diesel Fountain 48', which can run from Key West to Cancun burning 1 gallon per mile at over 50 mph. Why would you want to dawdle?

If the object is to go from Key West to Cancun quickly, they have this new fangled thing called a Lear jett airplane. How out of touch would you have to be to travel at 64 mph when you could travel at over 400 mph. :rolleyes:

Ted

Last edited:
If the object is to go from Key West to Cancun quickly, they have this new fangled thing call a Lear jett airplane. How out of touch would you have to be to travel at 64 mph when you could travel at over 400 mph. :rolleyes: Ted
Yeah and depending on which size It's starts at 15k each way. Jet ownership is not worth it. Chartering is where it's at.;)

The LOOP has been run by 18ft outboards in the 60s and by jet skis.

The question is how much comfort is required , to enjoy the adventure.

Not many places on the loop where fuel is not available , so a boat need not carry fuel for the entire trip from the start.

I had the pleasure of touring Pooh when it was at one of the Solomon Trawlerfests in the late 90's or early naughts. It was everything Mark says about it. It looked to be a very professional conversion and it has one of the best engine rooms around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom