Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #40
BelleAurore
Veteran Member

City: Tampa Bay
Vessel Name: Belle Aurore
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC 48/53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
What you really need to do is accurately assess how you are going to use your boat. Boats have to fit in with where you are in life. You can coastal cruise in a small trailer-able express cruiser. If you fairly young and have to work 5 days a week, this may be the best way to get a lot of cruising in in a variety of locations. If your older and want more comfort, have more leisure time want to spend time at the dock and still be able to knock 100+ miles or so a day than than many of the lighter semi displacement boats like the Bayliners and Meridians are very difficult to beat when it comes to value and usability. If you happen to be able to actually cruise for weeks at a time and need open ocean capability, than you really need to consider a real long range cruiser or a serious cruising sailboat. That real long range cruiser is more likely to sit at the dock because unless you like hanging out within 40 miles or so, you need three or for days to go anywhere. The difference between 6knts and 24knts is huge when it comes to weekend travel. The ability to trailer a boat at 60 mph to anywhere in the continent and cruise is pretty neat. The bottom line is life is full of compromises, you really need to realistically assess how you are going to use your boat and how important the aesthetics of a boat play into enjoying it. I live on a wonderful LRC that sits at the dock most of the time waiting for that real trip while my daughter wears out her 21' tournament boat. Do you really need a trawler, no but they do look like real boats.
I have to agree with Scary... Have had boats forever, but we fell in love with trawlers over the Hatteras 48 LRC's. First time I saw one it was like "now that's a boat." We spent a few years looking at Krogens, DeFevers, Flemings, etc. as there are so many great trawlers on the market. Previous owners of our LRC took her thought the Panama canal, to Alaska and made a trip to Bermuda. She is true blue water and the only non Nordhaven invited to make the Atlantic crossing a few years ago. Can guarantee they would not invite me as I don't have near the previous owners blue water experience. So, it is a combination, I agree.

We basically own a floating bowling ball with the dumbest, hardest working, arguably one of the most dependable engines ever made (Detroit 4/53's). Their big brothers, 6/71 & 6/73's won WWII. She displaces, with all our junk and 1,700 gallons of diesel, and 450 gallons of water around 40 tons. Previous owner said with all her weight she always kept popping to the top. I like that...

One of the best parts of these older Hatts is they are not depreciating assets. Our 40 sedan sea ray, that I loved, had to compete at the time of sale with the same and similar models that were going for so little money. Nobody cared about the big Cummins, extensive electronics, or my copious maintenance records. It was all $$$

We would have bought a Fleming except for price. Getting an older Fleming (lower hull number) meant aluminum fuel tanks and no 220V power (around 1993 or so). And, as I recall still around $600,000 plus. I think that if money is no object you can't go wrong with any of the vessels mentioned.

Something to keep in mind about buying a used trawler/boat is financing. Many banks won't consider lending on a boat over 10 years old. Getting financing on a boat as old as the LRC's means you and the bank my split the price 50/50. Just a thought...

We didn't buy our LRC to cross oceans; we love the roominess, ease of getting around the engine room, pilot house, full beam salon, her timeless ship look, solid hull and structure, and the extended cockpit was icing on the cake. personally I love the tranquility of the s. Carolina ICW or just going an hour from home to find a quiet anchorage. These American made LRC's are also supported by a large network of folks that supply parts. Sam's marine will, for example, give you the phone number of the guy that designed the yacht safety center system, or send you an original blueprint of a section of YOUR hull.

Just trying to give some other ideas to consider.
BelleAurore is offline   Reply With Quote