Velvet drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LWW thanks. I did contact TAD first they have none in stock. I am unable to find an answer if a 10-17 series would work geared at 2.1.

So what is in there now?
Take a pic of the data plate and post, that will tell what you have.

I don't think they made a 2:1. Lots of 1.91:1 and 2.10:1. Either way, whatever reduction you have can probably be bolted to another unit.

I have velvet drives. Today while participating in a Mardi Gras boat parade, I lost stbd side transmission. It was hard to shift the binnacle and both helm stations wouldn't go in reverse. Transmission allowed forward gear only. Was able to return to port and upon inspection, fluid is darker than normal and foul smelling.

What next?

Thanks

Blue Heron
sounds to me that the tranny ran hot and the clutch plates welded themselves together,if that happened you can not get it in neutral,belive it or not the clutchs are the same as the ones they used yrs ago in the fordomatic tranny for for fords but are made out of brass instead of steel, that's what the smell is burned out clutches,they weld together and are stuck in the forward motion

Try calling Mike Vogt, Transmission Service Manager, Harbor Marine, Everett WA. I know he's along way away but he has rebuilt 1000s of marine transmissions and has parts in stock for lots of discontinued models. He's good about phone calls and questions. (425) 259-3285

Try calling Mike Vogt, Transmission Service Manager, Harbor Marine, Everett WA. I know he's along way away but he has rebuilt 1000s of marine transmissions and has parts in stock for lots of discontinued models. He's good about phone calls and questions. (425) 259-3285

Thanks Larry. In touch with him.

Its just really not that heavy. Carry that sukker out. Now, an Allison or even a Paragon, thats kinda heavy. But a VD, no, I can carry that thing to town and get it fixed.

Well I removed my transmission and sent it to Harbor Marine in Washington State. Interesting planes trains and autos excursion. But I got it shipped. The good news is it can be repaired. But it's gonna cost. Now I am looking for a parts kit or a new oil / transmission cooler. I am looking for this one :

image-3080966377.jpg

Any one know where I can find one??

Thanks.

Good Luck with parts, six years ago I searched all over the world for one! I had the same one on our Perkins and one of the two cores failed, finally found a place that still made the cores at $2100.00 each $4200.00 for the two that are in the factory cooler. Finally replaced it with one of these from Seakamp in Seattle, here is an online page of it NA001314CN Perkins Heat Exchanger at $325.00 Canadian, need a couple of 90 degree elbows to hook up the oil lines.

Just yesterday I installed another new one on the boat, as the original failure fill the Velvet Drive with seawater!!!!!!!!! Never again, now just replace it as regular maintenance ever 5-8 years.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Forget what I said about Bowman, yours is not a Bowman. That leaves the one on ebay, retube, or bypass.

The one I have hasn't failed.. I just need to tear it down and rebuild to ensure no metal chunks from the tranny failure are present. Can I tear it down and clean and reassemble?
O rings?

Real easy to disassemble, O rings should be available at any number of sources. When you do it take the cores to a rad shop for testing. A failure of the cooler after your transmission rebuild would be a shame.

Good Luck with parts, six years ago I searched all over the world for one! I had the same one on our Perkins and one of the two cores failed, finally found a place that still made the cores at $2100.00 each $4200.00 for the two that are in the factory cooler. Finally replaced it with one of these from Seakamp in Seattle, here is an online page of it NA001314CN Perkins Heat Exchanger at $325.00 Canadian, need a couple of 90 degree elbows to hook up the oil lines.

Just yesterday I installed another new one on the boat, as the original failure fill the Velvet Drive with seawater!!!!!!!!! Never again, now just replace it as regular maintenance ever 5-8 years.

Roche, that replacement exchanger work plug and play? It is an oil /transmission cooler correct? All the lines connect?

Well I removed my transmission and sent it to Harbor Marine in Washington State. Interesting planes trains and autos excursion. But I got it shipped. The good news is it can be repaired. But it's gonna cost. Now I am looking for a parts kit or a new oil / transmission cooler. I am looking for this one :

View attachment 28467

Any one know where I can find one??

Thanks.

BH, I found this on Rochepoint's great site link. Looks like a match.

2486301 Perkins Tandem Cooler

2486301-pic7---web.jpg

Last edited:
I broke it apart and there were pieces of an impeller inside. Large pieces. They were certainly interfering with cooling no doubt. Doubt it was the reason for transmission failure but it didn't help. I'm going to tear down the port side also to make sure everything works. Well. Since this side was terrible.
Wish the previous owner took better care of the maintenance. I should have torn it down when I bought it.

Good lord! Took the port oil transmission cooler off due to the results I found in the stbd... Even worse!! How it hasn't overheated I will never know. I am rebuilding both engines coolers and changed out impellers at the same time. I expect to see serious improvements in Performance.

Good catch. Was this one filled with impeller parts, too?

Good catch. Was this one filled with impeller parts, too?

Yep. Big time. If this was an Artery it would need a bypass! Yes numerous impellers pieces. I don't think it was ever changed. Sadly it is hard to get to but still part of the maintenance. I am confident I averted disaster on the port side. But wow! Do your maintenance people!!

Good reminder. Changing coolant is on my short list of #1 priorities. I guess I'll take that opportunity to look at the heat exchangers as well. Thanks! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Blue Heron

Thanks for the heads up. It was a good reminder - I have two new HXs going in next week. No reason to suspect them, but 10 years is long enough I think. Perkins wanted about $450 each for my Hurth units so I got some out of Seattle for about 40% the cost for my PS 225s.

Oil/transmission cooler rebuilds completed. Man what a chore on the port engine!! Both are installed though. It's something if I can do it anyone can. Save the labor costs for beer.

Done. Clean bill of health. Transmission showed up today from Mike Vogt and his crew. Load it tomorrow. Hopefully install tomorrow or this weekend.

Sea trials to follow.

Installed it. Used two guys with straps and I guided it onto the bolts. All connected fluids filled and checked after warm and dock tested in fwd and reverse. End of this little issue. 30 days total down time and both oil/trans coolers cleaned and rebuilt.

Saved a ton in labor. Not too bad considering the removal and shipping to Washington State from Florida and back was included in the time.

Great to hear, BH. You recovered quickly and, it sounds like, under budget. Thanks for the recommendation on Mike Vogt. As a fellow BW Velvet Drives owner, I appreciate your scouting this out for us. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

AL
Harbor Marine's got a really nice all purpose marine supply store now. It's a couple of blocks from the old one on the Everett waterfront.

They've always got a supply of Velvet Drive 71's and 72's and a few ZF's sitting on the rack all ready to go. They're really nice helpful people!!
Larry B

Back
Top Bottom