Under Contract!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Just had our counter offer accepted on a Defever 44, Still Waters, berthed in Palm Coast.

So, if all works out, look for a new avatar soon!

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in the Jacksonville/Daytona area . . . preferably one with a lot of Defever experience?

Likewise, if anyone's familiar with this boat, please PM me.

And thanks to everyone on TF for all the advice and inspiration over the past two years.

Congratulations, Ian. It looks like you have a winner. If the pictures are representative a survey should have no major problems.

Don, your and Jack's help have been invaluable. Many thanks.

Looks like a nice vessel, you'll be doubly pleased when you get it in a seaway. Two things I might suggest, based upon my DF experiences:

• Replace the Westerbeke exhaust elbow (unless changed in the past 5 years or so), not expensive and saves giving a shower to the generator end.
  • I couldn't tell if the Galley Maid has an oven. We have no oven (don't need one) but do have a Sharp Convection microwave oven. You can do some great things with it, especially bake turkeys, pies, cakes and brownies. It would slip right in where your existing microwave is located.
Great buy.

Looks like a nice vessel, you'll be doubly pleased when you get it in a seaway. Two things I might suggest, based upon my DF experiences:

Great buy.

Thanks for the ideas. The covection microwave really caught my wife's attention. And for the record, I'm open to any and all suggestions on living with a Defever. :thumb:

I used to have a Penny's convection oven. Weighed a ton, and the magetron broke when being transported from Fairbanks to Seattle in February, but repair man came to house to fix it. It is still working 30 years later. Made the best turkey and pies I have ever made.

I miss it:cry:

Think I remember the boat when we stopped there in Mid-January...right along the bulkhead next to the marina office?

My friend Dave Rifkin in Jacksonville is one of the very best surveyors in the business. consultant to BoatUS and USCG, ret'd nuc sub commander check him out at
Quality Marine Services

Make sure you read some of his articles on the "documents" page on his website, great stuff.

Last edited:
Congratulations....I have been on a couple of 44's and they are great, and that stand up engine room is fantastic.

Jack, thanks again for checking her out. PM coming your way. Scott, you may be thinking of an '83 DF44 (Prim) in Palm Coast with similar color scheme that I've seen pictured near a bulkhead. Still Waters is here: Defever Offshore Cruiser boat for sale in Palm Coast United States - Ref: 77126 - YachtWorld.com Mobile Wallace, I'll check him out. Thanks for the good advice and great articles on your site!

Indeed, this vessel was Prim. She is till berthed at the Palm Coast Marina. My wife and I are the brand-new owners as of March 7th! She has been renamed to, guess what, "Catalina Jack". Why this name some may ask? Catalina was the nom de guerre of the World War 2 vintage PBY flying boat on which my dad crewed in the South Pacific. His name was Jack as we also call my son who is an enlisted sailor aboard USS Gridley, DDG 101. So, the name is to honor and remember both my father and all those who served and are serving.

Go Navy, beat Army!

Congratulations on your score; Catalina Jack looks terrific. Great story, too! A wonderful way to honor your dad and your son. If our purchase goes through, I hope to come up with as meaningful a name. (I'm actually avoiding names at this point so we can be objective during the survey.) All the best.

Back
Top Bottom