Thread: Greetings!!
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
bobfnbw

RE: Greetings!!

Peter, just curious why you wouldn't' keep your boat after retirement....

The way I see it, when I retire my expertnesses will go way down. So much so that I plan to live on my and my wifes Social Security for most things.
Now originally I have planned to do it on a sailboat but figure a trawler will cost more month to month, but over a 10 year period, not so much I think. Depends on how much fuel we would use, which is directly related to how many miles we travel. We of course plan to sell the house and use the money to buy the boat. Costs will go way down, as no more property tax, and no more insurance. We would self insure except for liability. Marina's would be a luxury item once in a while. Most of our time would be traveling and anchored out, or on a mooring somewhere.
Food costs should stay similar, entertainment probably a bit higher, no cars, so now car insurance, or payments or service or fuel, would rent several times a year I would think.

Originally we would have traveled far off the beaten path with a sailboat, but with a trawler, not as far.
I expect to retire at 62 1/2 and don't expect more than 8-10 years of it. So I plan accordingly.

Believe me, I know a lot about life and death. See it every day in my job. Its a risk, but a calculated one, that I am willing to take.
Not everyone can or should. But I am in my highest earning years now, with 2 kids to put thru school. Did the home school thing for a while, so I have experience there as well.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote