Weather hold in Puget sound or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Want to see what it looks like when you're out in conditions a bit less than what you described? Last summer I helped take a boat from Lake Union to Stockton, CA.

Here's what it looked like....

M2U00467 - YouTube

Rough water - YouTube

You decide for yourself. If it were me, I'd stay in port until things improve.

Want to see what it looks like when you're out in conditions a bit less than what you described? Last summer I helped take a boat from Lake Union to Stockton, CA.

Here's what it looked like....

You decide for yourself. If it were me, I'd stay in port until things improve.

If you can take a video it's not too bad :angel:

On our last gulf crossing we got into a situation. A UNFORECAST situation. We even hired a weather router to help.

That video looks like Stuarts 5788. In our 4788 we, for a couple straight hours actually buried the bow the waves were so steep.

We've been in large swells, but had never experienced wind waves so large that they buried the bow on a boat that size. Blue water over the bow, and rushing up to the windshield. It was bad. There were no videos being taken that morning.

I can say that having taken the time to build rough water seamanship skills paid off that day. My son who served on a USCG motor lifeboat in Oregon was visibly scared. His experience at sea was always with someone else in charge. This was us.

When he asked what the operational limits were of my boat I calmly told him that they were clearly bigger than these seas. When he asked what I was going to do, I calmly told him that we would head into the seas and make for the lee side of Hinchinbrook island. When he commented that Hinchinbrook was about 50 miles away, I calmly told him that, I guessed its going to be a long morning.

It's hard to relate the conversation in writing , but the point is that I'd practiced piloting every one of my boats over a period of years. Yes, these were big waves, but I had the confidence, and projected that confidence that we were going to be fine.

People do not learn those skills sitting at the dock, or internet sailing, reading books, to taking classes. They learn them by practice. By taking their boat out in increasing rough conditions until they learn the skills necessary safely weather out a storm.

I used your post to reply to, and it was not meant to infer that you disagree in any way, it was just a good video, and a great time to respond.

This concept of skill building cannot be over emphasized. We are not born with seamanship skills, and anybody can be a competent rough water captain. All it takes is practice.

Last edited:
Just curious KSanders, what speed where you making into those seas?

Just curious KSanders, what speed where you making into those seas?

7 knots or so, but I honestly do not remember the exact speed.

I have used power to make running with a following sea, like surfing. I can't do it in is boat a because it's too slow for that, but in my smaller boats I was able to hit the gas and surf a wave.

That's something my son taught me. The waves are faster than you think something above 20 knots.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin.

There is a website I like to refer to when I'm wondering about the wind conditions in the Puget Sound. This shows the actual wind conditions on the Washington State ferry boats and is updated every half hour or so.

Washington State Ferry Weather

Take a look at 7 Day Wind, Wave & Tide Weather Forecasts (including live wind reports) for Australia. Click "Sydney Weather Forecast" or another city if you like. You get graphs and predictions of wave height & period, wind direction & speed, hour by hour. It`s probably not unique to Oz, but it is good, when it disagrees with our Bureau of Meteorology, it often does, it is usually right. BOM went conservative after getting it wrong and people into trouble.

7 knots or so, but I honestly do not remember the exact speed.

I have used power to make running with a following sea, like surfing. I can't do it in is boat a because it's too slow for that, but in my smaller boats I was able to hit the gas and surf a wave.

That's something my son taught me. The waves are faster than you think something above 20 knots.

Kevin, you're right. Surfing waves is a good ride. However a long period of it is very tiring-----no autopilot, and constant throttle adjustments to keep position on the wave. That is my preferred method of running inlets, but that usually only lasts a short while.

Windmist VERY excellent link. I bookmarked it. Thanks.

Wonder what the ferries are doing on I-5 though.

Thanks, we enjoyed a nice lunch at Chandlers Cove.

My wife and 2 young kids travel with me and we need to gradually get more experience because I have from now until around November off work and we're going to use our boat lots and not have the pressure of fixed return dates

I've more questions if you don't mind...

- Is my Californian Navigator 39 considered 'lightweight' or robust in the inland waters of PNW?
- If I were 5 years and 1000 hours experienced, what should be a reasonable safe limit to weather (trying to understand the capabilities of my boat)
- If I had said we were going to Poulsbo, Tacoma or Gig Harbor, would your responses have been similar?
- Finally, I took 2 days skipper training when I got the boat. It was very helpful but now I'm struggling with some of the terminology that is being used like...wave interval, wind on the bow, stern or quarter. I understand the terms but not the implications of the terms. Is there something I might read before better understanding these implications in practice.

Once again, many thanks for your responses. I'm definitely learning something without even turning the key

The soft spot isn't the boat. . . . it's you and your crew. The boat is very well built, solid hull and will handle virtually anything but the very worse conditions of Puget Sound. Your crew on the other hand, being new to boating will physically and mentally fatigue out after and hour or two of rough weather, rocking, rolling and pitching in crazed seas.

Traveling in the straits of Juan De Fuca, Rosario, Georgia, you need to respect them. They can blow up in a hurry and make your life miserable. No matter how much you plan, sooner or later you will get a butt kicking traveling the straits.

You are right to introduce your crew to boating slowly, easily and not test their metal quite so soon. Choose your cruising weather carefully while you and they become accustom to boating. With experience, you and your crew will grow, acquire the skill, and confidence to tackle adverse conditions and rough crossings. But give it a little time.

Your wife gets scared or your kids get seasick and suddenly the entire boating thing has taken a very negative turn. It may happen one day, but get lots of good experiences in first.

And yes, had you chosen more protected waters it might have been different. As it turns out all the areas mentioned have turned calm today. But you didn't know that was going to happen.

At this point in your and your family's boating life much better to err on the side of caution. Yes, 5 years and 1000 hours for all of you will add to skills. One thing you need is developing some confidence in your wife too. What if you needed help in tough conditions. Or even small things like getting an anchor up, can she take the helm? What if you became incapacitated?

My wife and I are a lot further along than we were 18 months ago. But Captain's classes, a Captain actively training us and about 1400 hours of engine time since. I think the experience required for various licensing gives you some clue. For instance, I've boated inland all my life and she has for 13 years. Now the 1400 hours or something around 220 days of sea service we're required now on coastal waters still leaves us short of the 360 needed. So right now we're both licensed as 50 Ton Masters Inland. By the end of this year we'll be 100 Ton Near Coastal.

You'll develop confidence and you'll know as the skills and experience come. You'll wake up months from now and think, "Boy, I sure have learned a lot." Then all these trips you're talking about will be to familiar grounds and through waters you've learned. Inlets are one of the huge parts of learning. Often the most difficult part of your day, especially your return trip. Not going to do it, but I could drive through Port Everglades blindfolded now. I know how the sea behaves there in various conditions. Plus it is an easy inlet. On the other hand, I have never entered the Strait of Juan de Fuca nor turned from it to head to Puget Sound.

Kevin, you're right. Surfing waves is a good ride. However a long period of it is very tiring-----no autopilot, and constant throttle adjustments to keep position on the wave. That is my preferred method of running inlets, but that usually only lasts a short while.

I remember when our Captain first started teaching us to surf waves. Both inlets and otherwise. One day we were in the Gulf and the conditions deteriorated. Now we were close enough to ports to exit the rough water any time, but we needed to learn as well. So we spent about three hours learning to handle the waves as we headed in different directions. Surfing was an odd concept at first because your inclination is to slow down for comfort, not speed up. Learning to measure the interval and match your speed to it. Getting on top and speeding up was nerve wracking but once you learned to do it felt good. Now of course it varies on every boat too. On that boat, that day, 30 knots was actually a good speed to surf. Going into the waves, much different story.

Chris, Here are some sources of education you may find useful. First, pick up a copy of the Waggoner Cruising Guide. Virtually every boat you come across in the NW will have one of these. Another is Chapman Piloting. This book has been around a very long time. Next, check out nwboatertraining.com. This will give you a list of training classes that are presented by the US Power Squadron. They have classes all over Puget Sound. I also recommend that your wife attend these classes, and kids, if old enough. It will give everyone alot more confidence.

This has to be the greatist compilation of advise to be had at zero cost, a bit off topic but still good. Good idea to sit tight, I hope the salmon bites were great at Candelers, I know the boat envy is good there if not! Previous post are right you would have been pounded senseless with-in sight of PT, be prepared for that as it will treat you similarly wether N-or-S bound. If wave action allows take a trip around Bainbridge or south and explore Vashon to Quartermaster, or Harstine, all good spots.
Surfing now that's a great tack to the thread. A maneouver that will get you there, but will drain you out! Being quite familar operating my 28' in similar Alaska surfing adventures, I reverted to the experience in a newly aquired 56 footer all within sight of PT!! Learn as you go! Make heed to Ksanders post. The thrills are out there you need to control the intensity. Great ventures to you>

Back
Top Bottom