bbq reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had the largest, dual burner Magma mounted outboard on our flying bridge, an with age it too developed the flame-going-out problem. It was quite exposed and had a lot of use over 5 years, several times a week. Anyway, I was going to make a winter project of rebuilding it; in the meantime we bought Weber Q at Lowes one size up from the Baby, with a thermometer on the front. A dock neighbor had one on his Defever; he had bolted it to a piece of starboard then had that in turn bolted to some Magna rail mounts. He really touted me on it, and I had read good reviews on another boating forum. We never have got around to rebuilding the Magma, the parts come to about what I paid for the Q.

The Q is a simply great grill, stands up well to wind, very adjustable, etc etc. Note that Weber explicitly says it is not for RV or boat use. I am not sure why they say that other than perhaps the mounting issue. Highly recommended

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"

just couldn't help myself....:D

I am one season into a Dickinson Spitfire. For me that means using it pretty much every night aboard, and I am quite happy with the way the Dickinson cooks, long enough for the skewers I use for shrimp and kabobs, no issues with not enough heat or it blowing out (so far). Good temperature stability, does a pork loin excellent! I am in process of switching the regulator to a low pressure model so I can run it off the boat's propane system. I believe the Sea-B-Q and Spitfire are the same grill...

Love the Weber Baby Q. Cooks great, is stable and cost me $99 in Walmart.

Looks like the Weber has a sizable lead so far and no negatives!

Have the Magma, not overly impressive in any department.

Lowes Home Store -$64 not as heavy duty as a Magma...but have several friends/relatives who bought them and all love it....leave it out in the weather too as it is stainless..may have cheaper parts but I'll bet cheaper than Magma in the long run...

Shop Master Forge Stainless Steel Portable Gas Grill 12,000-BTU 198-sq in Portable Gas Grill at Lowes.com -

Yep, correct answer, bought one at the end of the season on closeout for 49.95 works fine and for that I can buy a bunch of em.

Don't buy Magma over priced China junk, buy cheap China junk for cheap and toss, rinse and repeat.

I'd recommend the Weber Baby Q, as someone mentioned. We have it's big brother at home, and they're great. Being alloy, they would be ok at sea I think. However, securing and storing could be an issue. Speaking for ourselves, for on the boat, we won't go past this…..

Home - Cobb International

Leave the baby at home.

I have the Weber Q280, two burners and has regulator for 20 lb tank.
Looks almost as well as my Genesis at home.:thumb:

A great grill for the boat, as it is heavy enough to maintain the heat you need to cook meat.:dance:

If not this, then get a slow cooker:lol:

P.s my first boat grill luckily lasted long enough, one steak dinner, to realize that it wouldn't work, could not get hot enough for MEAT, then, an ICW piling took care of the rest.:eek:

Here is how I mounted my Dickinson Spitfire .

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 280
We have had a Force 10 (now Kouma, I think) for about 6yrs. Not faultless; ignition unit doesn't want to work, so we light it w/a butane torch. Otherwise it has been great. 98% of our cruising cooking is done on it. Carry it on a rail mount w/cover all season. So far the stainless has held up well.

Glad no one here has suggested The Egg. Whew!

This didn't catch anything today, so it became an appetizer tonight.

img_215752_0_425aea5bede0dcd4f83f4004ecd39c31.jpg

There are no losers in this kind of fishing!!

(Only 32 inches, this guy got tossed back to grow up.)

img_215752_1_3e10968a136a30ed31a582c4d7b08bb0.jpg

Glad no one here has suggested The Egg. Whew! This didn't catch anything today, so it became an appetizer tonight. There are no losers in this kind of fishing!! (Only 32 inches, this guy got tossed back to grow up.)
I've seen an egg grill, they look to be well made but can't imagine having one on a boat, houseboat with all of the deck space maybe.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

just couldn't help myself....:D

I am a guy who occasionally gets away with something, but rather than tout some compromise solution is as "this is perfectly OK" I take the time to point out the issue, not hide it or bluster it up, which is all-too-common practice on this forum, which overall is riddled with a much higher percent of uninformed-to-bad-to-dangerous advice than any other I have been on. I came back recently and promised myself I would bite my tongue, calm down, and besides there is just not enough time to counter or question it all.

A good friend has one of the little Webbers that have been mentioned here, and it is also a great unit. It does very well with lower temps, like for fish. We are often rafted together and divide the food between the two grills depending on the temps we want to cook with. Only real downside I see to the Webber is that you need a way to mount it, and it will blow out

Back to topic: The Q120 I have is 8500 btu, 189 sq inches, dual burner (actually a circular affair) it is now called the Titanium. It gets plenty hot, well over 500 degrees, cooks great steaks and chops] I have had it in pretty windy conditions and no issues.

Those Green Eggs weigh a ton. If that boat ever came to a brief stop. That green egg would be a flying projectile

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using speech to text.so some words may not be perfect.but it's easier.

Try mounting that Green Egg on a rail, like the OP is requesting, and watch the looks you get from your fellow boaters! It looks like some alien cocoon waiting to hatch!

Welcome back, caltecflanc. We're not perfect and, like life, you sometimes have to wade through some pretty thick muck to get to the juicy parts.

Over ten years with a regular Magnum (propane rectangular) looks brand new (always covered) and wind has not blow out the unit yet. The grill is located on our aft deck and we always have the bow pointed into the wind so that may protect the grill from high winds. We have replaced the regulator and the propane feed element.

This is the key!!! KEEP IT COVERED!!! Mine is 7 years old and still works fine. But I did invest in the sunbrella cover and it has obviously served well. I have the rod holder mounts that are always on the transom. Amazingly it gets a lot of spray back there(planing boat) and still the grill performs well. I have had to replace the regulator but that is probably to be expected after that amount of time. Anyway, whatever you buy get a sunbrella cover is worth the investment.

ForumRunner_20140301_075255.jpg

Love it.

Had the first one mounted.:eek:

Weber Q 280

I have the Dickenson, "Sea-B-Que" and love it. You can order it directly from them in Canada and get it for less. I ordered their new pedistal and had to reinforce it. Not a great design but the pit is great. Large enough for a party and hot enough for anything so be careful not to burn the fish. I went to Home Depot and got a hose and connections from Weber Grills and was able to connect a 10lb tank for pennies.

Dickenson rocks! We have the fitting that slides into a fishing pole holder and use it at anchor all of the time and can then stow when underway.

A friend just gave me his Jackson grill because my Sea-B-Que doesn't hold heat in any wind....

Mike and I were considering placing conventional BBQ bricks/rocks inside for heat retention......

I have that same issue when cooking underway, if I am at anchor usually the boat swings bow to the wind and it's fine. I usually drop it below the rail under those conditions, but it's not mounted. Still looking for a better solution myself...

I got the same issue especially that mine is mounted high on the flybridge where wind is blowing. My solution was pretty simple, added a bag of lava stone in the bbq over the burner. These break the wind in the bbq and keep the heat on. I like the fact that the stones keep the heat even when I turn it off.

L

How is that to clean? Sometimes my grill is pretty trashed from fatty (awesome) cuts of meat or bbq ribs...

My vote is for the Weber Baby Q also, but get the model with the thermometer in the lid. Weber really know how to build grills, the heat control is excellent.
Bill
Another vote for Weber Q!

How is that to clean? Sometimes my grill is pretty trashed from fatty (awesome) cuts of meat or bbq ribs...

Light your bbq on and let it warm up hot and let your junk burn, it won’t take time with the heat.
And when you think stones are too dirty it will cost you 15$ to replace them with new ones.

L

I started out with a Sea-B Que years ago and it did 'just OK'. it was challenged by wind and uneven heating. I replaced it with a 17 inch round Magma that a friend was ditching since he didn't like propane on his boat.

The Magma did OK in the wind but was so hot that I had difficulty regulating the temperature. I prefer to cook over a slow, even heat and had to prop open the lid to prevent overheating and detect flareups.

This summer, a friend was given a Magma Newport grill in a package deal with a dinghy purchase from a friend who was selling his sailboat. The grill was used 4-5 times and looked like new. My buddy found it was too big for his sailboat after he had already had a Sunbrella cover made for it, so he gave it to me.

This grill is by far the best boat grill I've had. Winds are not an issue with my Newport. The heat and flame control is ideal for my way of cooking. The drip pan is removable for easy cleanup. I have rod holders across the transom and on the side rail so I have lots of placement options.

cFI60lA61CydUqmMpYDrSBiudxauTKB31XsfanT32UwD3GtsoPGc4rEu6QqYBY1dzX0gs8uNuxuz8lMvlG2aQ8r7SXa3vV0f3-XXprErX0nUZRQZNFPMeGkW-d1Q_1p1K6uAd25M_8REs4ZHGqr7c72rCIjNYLS_mbc2gNd8QHFaIvgS3sSqqoNM8MXGRADhjg8z4VdLHNAJV6EQKUqs-vfkmU6Li8858OFLacak6ecn9WC72tbXQuiYRHgah1J1JT-0iYljXu5vOfFYa0Gx7-wLOuTqdeARC9ixoZeh3QW3-htvmGLBDqk-jcjkCkLOsW-e85gJ5bwcsdSgXaelBBx-t3i4Llg149E2J1MD1WiR5JaHyfH1GUFnK-0fm0GpeGBfXZS-h1AfIPgkkVz5jlaC8QgQ4Hm0cgdInoIUQw0n3rM-oL85AZMLz0aX50uyw_4qJYZd7hJ9vTYSFWKlhjWlwZGPP1ssFVC3GGS4FPn6jnUFT6i0YdVmhxa1C0FoH42KitFfNWa-NCuf9jgQcFAAqYsVlQBbJIm4sGS9voKQr4Tjz6Cgkgm7iXqt_sec2YmaqUVN4wqF7ui0BEF7LYNdsD_JpmbCou_SAMEa04A=w851-h240-no

Last edited:
I had a charcoal Magma that was fantastic, in wind it had a tendency to get fine ash on my food, and carrying charcoal and lighter fluid was a pain. These days I do kabobs and the skewers are long enough I need a rectangular grill to accommodate them.

My Sea-b-que was the best reviewed grill I could find when I purchased my boat and brought it North. Mostly it has been satisfactory plus, except for wind...

That Catalina is a spendy grill, what model do you have?

Buy a Weber Q1000, and get to cooking. Third season on mine, and it still working fine. After 2 kettle grills, the Weber is better. I have a fish cleaning tray in cockpit available to set it on. Cooks evenly, parts available and not expensive. In very windy conditions, it will blow out. I just move it to deck of cockpit, and keep on cooking.

That Catalina is a spendy grill, what model do you have?

I thought it was a Catalina until I looked up the model number to reply to this post. It's a Newport model A10-918. (Post above edited for accuracy.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom