Hull paint color!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
COWBUOY
Vessel Make
1974 chb
Just thought I might stir things up a bit ha. Tell me why I shouldn't paint my hull Navy blue! Love how it looks on other ships... White don't fade but that don't mean it don't need paint. I said don't 3 times...... So white I guess haha

Just thought I might stir things up a bit ha. Tell me why I shouldn't paint my hull Navy blue! Love how it looks on other ships... White don't fade but that don't mean it don't need paint. I said don't 3 times...... So white I guess haha

Can get hot, shows salt easily, are the only downsides that come to mind. I love ours, but we're in a cooler climate.

Tell me why I shouldn't paint my hull Navy blue! Love how it looks on other ships

Navy SHIPS are usually Hayes Grey.

WE have a blue hull and its no problem even in FL.

Daytime you are up in the PH , in the evening the hull cools to water temp with sundown , no heat problem .

Hatches with BUG SCREENS are more important in FL than hull color.

My wife and I would certainly like to paint it, but as it doesn't need paint, don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

We just think it looks elegant and gets away from the plainness of vanilla.

I have a friend whose boat has a blue hull. A couple friends actually. Blue looks great when cleaned and waxed. Not so good if neglected for any length of time.

Also, a dark colored hull shows any scratches while white or beige does not unless you look closely.

White (or beige) never goes out of style. Remember when orange and maroon were in style for boats?

Some boats just wouldn't look 'right' painted white, while some do. I couldn't imagine our boat all white.

Attachments

• 1744628_17_thumb.jpg
    1744628_17_thumb.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 671
Fender abrasion show up very quickly like overnight. Keep extra paint ready because you will be painting more often then white. My hull is dark green and I would not go back to white. I just quickly sand and paint it takes about 2.5 hrs. I don't use very expense paint industrial one part urethane is fine with me.

Dark colors take more maintenance, and are definitely harder to maintain. Good soft fender covers are a must. That being siad my hull sides are black, and I just moved the boat yesterday to the yard for painting. Color? Black. Why? because I like it. With the boat approaching 10 years old I thought it time to freshen the tired gelcoat with a pretty paint job.

Attachments

• Moonstruck detailed and window covers 001.jpg
    Moonstruck detailed and window covers 001.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Moonstruck detailed and window covers 002.jpg
    Moonstruck detailed and window covers 002.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 136
Good info thanks all. Since I'm painting it myself I thing I'll have to stick with white, I think I can screw less up that way. But there I go thinking again....

This is why you should paint your hull blue! Gorgeous. :thumb:

Attachments

• Great Laker sky and alge bloom.jpg
    Great Laker sky and alge bloom.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 155
Navy blue can be beautiful albeit not as durable, easy to touch-up, or find anchored in moonless conditions, as white.

In Maine they say "there are 2 colors to paint a boat; black & white, and only a fool would paint her black"

Blue paint is likely more durable than most members on this forum. I say go purple.

I hope to never own a white boat.

Unless I'm cruising the tropics. Even then, I'll go pale yellow first.

Dark-hulled boats are handsome. The California Maritime Academy's Cub has a blue hull with white gunwale and superstructure, with yellow trim.

img_216352_0_a297c95ed30b3c95ce7096557ed52e4a.jpg

It takes after its "big brother" Golden Bear.

img_216352_1_bbbd43dcbaed30d59654fc474d2af85a.jpg

I prefer a darker blue over a lighter blue.

img_216352_2_64031b948679a02362975c8fa4949562.jpg

I like Cabernet!

Attachments

• image-2376682886.jpg
    image-2376682886.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 139
Navy blue can be beautiful albeit not as durable, easy to touch-up, or find anchored in moonless conditions, as white.

In Maine they say "there are 2 colors to paint a boat; black & white, and only a fool would paint her black"

Whoops! Did it again.:hide:

Dark-hulled boats are handsome. The California Maritime Academy's Cub has a blue hull with white gunwale and superstructure, with yellow trim.

img_216361_0_a297c95ed30b3c95ce7096557ed52e4a.jpg

It takes after its "big brother" Golden Bear.

img_216361_1_bbbd43dcbaed30d59654fc474d2af85a.jpg

I prefer a darker blue over a lighter blue.

img_216361_2_64031b948679a02362975c8fa4949562.jpg

How about this midnight blue?

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 832
If I decide to bite the bullet Bliss will have a black hull too.

Craig, of course, I think it would look smashing. Let's see if we can get Larry (Heahustler) to do some photo shop with a black hull and maybe gold cove striping. As good as you are with things of that nature, you may be able to roll and tip your hull. I have seen some really nice jobs with Sterling paint that were done that way .

Take a look at this.

http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/help/sterling_roll_tip.htm

Last edited:
Here is another a green hull but we debate about a dark blue hull sometimes.

Attachments

• P1030072.jpg
    P1030072.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 139
I'm with Moonstruck...black is the only hull color...just in case we all decide to ignore our documentation and fly a Jolly Roger....:thumb:

Jade green although its darkness/lightness depends on the sun and its absence.

img_216421_0_4a67fca6f5bf3a5607be398268f7f480.png

Gray for us!

Attachments

• image-1166418911.jpg
    image-1166418911.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 131
Nice looking boats all around.

Red reminds me of a lighthouse ship.

img_216520_0_198c2814e8377884d645946fce4d8622.jpg

We've always loved blue hulled boats. We're currently in the process of painting our decks and pilothouse, but once done, we plan to haul out at a yard that will allow us to DIY paint (roll-and-tip) and do the topsides.

I recently asked my business partner if he could do a quick-and-dirty photoshop job and show what the finished product would be, and this is wht he came up with.

Before:
wqi51sA.jpg

After:
KN3ZYMi.jpg

:dance:

We're actually serious though..

Here's the real after:
18aDwyv.jpg

I like blue

White and grey to start, then white house, grey decks and blue hull. The admiral made me paint over the bow art...

The blue is harder to keep clean because of the bumpers, but it's two part epoxy so we'll see how it holds up. This paint job doesn't make her look fat (the boat, not the admiral).

Attachments

• DSC_2421_1.jpg
    DSC_2421_1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 123
  • norskip-p51.jpg
    norskip-p51.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMAG0892.jpg
    IMAG0892.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4266.jpg
    IMG_4266.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
White and grey to start, then white house, grey decks and blue hull. The admiral made me paint over the bow art... The blue is harder to keep clean because of the bumpers, but it's two part epoxy so we'll see how it holds up. This paint job doesn't make her look fat (the boat, not the admiral).
The blue really pops. It looks great. I DID like the bow art!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom