What music instruments do you carry on board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bagpipes, but I kept getting my ass kicked by strangers, so I switched to an accordion. Then I got beat up by bagpipe players. Now I play the fish, but I'll be damned if I can figg'r out how to tune the thing!

(Like Wes, boating is quiet time for me.)

Tom,

It's all about getting the scales.

Rob

Bagpipes, but I kept getting my ass kicked by strangers, so I switched to an accordion. Then I got beat up by bagpipe players. Now I play the fish, but I'll be damned if I can figg'r out how to tune the thing!

(Like Wes, boating is quiet time for me.)

Tom,

It's all about getting the scales.

Rob

You can tune a piano, but you can't tunafish.

Shrew, I was actually looking at buying a Taylor 314. Then I played this Martin in the photo. It is a GPCPA 4 Rosewood model. They have so many different models now I was bit overwhelmed when shopping and finally just sat down and played and compared each one, Taylor's and Martins. This was the first Martin I had played in many years, I have mostly been a Gibson fan and still have one as my other guitar. But the Martin just spoke to me and I bought it. Now I am looking for an electric, a Gibson SG Standard, not a collectible, just a nice playing SG.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tunafish.

Who knew?!?!

YouCanTuneaPianoButYouCantTunaFish.jpg

(Actually, we all did, but thanks for falling into my clever trap!)

Yamaha acoustic

Les Paul with a mini-Marshall
and a Digi-tech

Have a keyboard in storage
Trying to figure were I can put it KJ

I was writing an ebook a couple of years ago on how to set up a mandolin. I was looking for an inexpensive model to use as a demo for photos and expecting to find lots of issues to address. I found a "two-fer" deal at www.musiciansfriend.com (no financial interest) for a full-size dreadnaught guitar and a mandolin for under a hundred dollars, including shipping.

I was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality - very nice instruments. Both needed to be set up in order to play well, but once I got the action and intonation dialed in they were very good. I bought a second set and keep them on the boat.

You never know when you'll be out on the boat and the opportunity for an impromptu jam will appear. I can hand over my guitar or mandolin to a stranger without worrying if he/she falls over and breaks it in half. They are made of laminated woods, so they stand up well to humidity and temperature variations.

Rob

Baritone uke, but with carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrists the desterity is gone. Haven't picked it up for a while. Love getting together with friends. One I have been playing along with for 65 years. That was playing ukes in the 2nd grade.

Here is my old friend Ron playing my baritone uke, and the second picture our back up singers. This was in late fall at the mountain cabin. Nothing better than good friends in the mountains or on the water.

Attachments

• Mountains 10-09 music weblog.jpg
    Mountains 10-09 music weblog.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Mountains 10-09 backup singers weblog.jpg
    Mountains 10-09 backup singers weblog.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 122
I thought about a uke but playing Stairway to Heaven or Purple Haze would be tough.

I thought about a uke but playing Stairway to Heaven or Purple Haze would be tough.

Take a listen to this. The barotone uke tunes and chords like a guitar. It would take you little time to get right into it.

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN, by Led Zeppelin, Cover arrangement for baritone ukulele by Phil Hendricks. - YouTube

Jay Lichty, Over The Rainbow on Baritone Ukulele - YouTube About half way into this Jay Lichty goes into Iz's wonderful arrangement of "Over the Rainbow".

How about a litlle slide.

Baritone Ukulele blues with glass slide - YouTube

air guitar and I drum on the helm. Getting a bit old to play lead, may have to play rhythm

Check this ukelele guy out. He is beyond amazing, I would call it masterful.

Jake Shimabukuro

Ovation acoustic 1997. It has held up well in the boat world.

OK, one more. Not a baritone, but James Hill is so da__ good. Oh yeah, I'm a sucker for the latin beats.

Notice his uke is the perfect size for a boat. Of course, my uke is much bigger than his uke.

James Hill - One Note Samba - YouTube

Last edited:
Take a listen to this. The barotone uke tunes and chords like a guitar. It would take you little time to get right into it.

Is that the 4 high strings? D/G/B/E ?

FWIW, I've been toying with a new percussion pad thingy. 12 assign-able pads, plus foot pedal inputs, etc. Needs an amp, though; don't know that I want to devote that much space on the boat, and I doubt my little battery-powered Fender Mini would survive the kick bass :)

-Chris

Is that the 4 high strings? D/G/B/E ?

FWIW, I've been toying with a new percussion pad thingy. 12 assign-able pads, plus foot pedal inputs, etc. Needs an amp, though; don't know that I want to devote that much space on the boat, and I doubt my little battery-powered Fender Mini would survive the kick bass :)

-Chris

Yep, it tunes D/G/B/E

Back
Top Bottom