Gold coins est.$10 million

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
I'm sure most have seen the story making the news about the couple that recently found a hoard of gold coins that had been buried in their back yard for years est. since the 30s.
Obviously it belonged to someone else at one time, I wonder if they could lose it suppose a descendant of the person who buried it originally could prove he had a claim to ownership, or say the coins could be documented to a robbery of a person, bank, or theft from a US government agency?
It seems to me that for that much money to be buried in the yard like it was it might have been ill gotten, that is a lot of money now and would probably been more so then.
Any Ideas?

Since on their own property they've owned for decades likely to be very straight forward. Now an attorney may advise them to go through a "found money" process which temporarily places the money with law enforcement and allows those who might consider themselves rightful owners to make a claim. This just clears ownership. But that's generally only done when found on public property. I can't see how anyone could have a claim on this money. It's like purchasing a coat at goodwill and finding a diamond ring in it. If one returns it to the original owner, it's only out of kindness.

As to how the gold was obtained, as much time as has passed doubt anyone really cares at this point.

Keep in mind Steve the "value" in this discovery is in the mint quality, 100 year old gold coins at today's prices. The value then was face. Quite a bit south of the $10 million current estimate.

If this had been a nugget/dust stash(most common) it would not have made national news. Gold stashes where pretty common around this part of Northern California.

If i would have been the guy to find them i would have not told a soul. I'd have sold them off 1 at a time to someone who doesn't ask many questions. i know that would have brought less money but it would have came without a someone else trying to claim it, tax liability and without lawyer bills. which will likely soak between half to 3/4 of the original 10 million.

Just me. just what i would have done. i am a very distrusting person by nature

If i would have been the guy to find them i would have not told a soul. I'd have sold them off 1 at a time to someone who doesn't ask many questions.

My thoughts exactly. Everyone who ever owned, lived near, walked on, or passed by that property will be suing to get a piece of the action. In the end the owner will be bankrupt and the only ones who come out ahead will be the lawyers.

In the end the owner will be bankrupt and the only ones who come out ahead will be the lawyers.

Hey! We lawyers gotta eat too!

Attachments

• Shark.jpg
    Shark.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 77
Apparently the Government has looked at the case and has decided not to pursue ownership even though they believe that they were indeed stolen from an institution.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

There is a saying in Spanish

"En boca cerrada no entran moscas"

Flies don't enter a closed mouth!

comprende?

Hmmmm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Hey! We lawyers gotta eat too!

Then eat each other and leave Humans our of the meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom