Need a list of under 40' full displacement boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry are you sure you didn't mean to say Nordhavn 46?

Well, no, of course that would be over 40'. Don't you think the 40 is a FD?

And speaking of length, the Island Packet PY Cruiser is really a 39, so maybe that ought to be on the list too....basically a de-keeled sailboat hull, 100 HP.

Well, no, of course that would be over 40'. Don't you think the 40 is a FD?

And speaking of length, the Island Packet PY Cruiser is really a 39, so maybe that ought to be on the list too....basically a de-keeled sailboat hull, 100 HP.

Is the Island Packet dekeeled? I thought it was just dismasted?

Anyway, I was wondering why the Sundowner 30 was dropped from the list?

Is the Island Packet dekeeled? I thought it was just dismasted?

Anyway, I was wondering why the Sundowner 30 was dropped from the list?

Good point, Conrad....the answer being yes and no. The PY Cruiser (trawler) shares its keel depth with the SP Cruiser Motor Sailor at 3'8", as opposed to the full sail 380 at 4'7". I don't think there are many of the PY Cruisers around since they hit the market just before the economic downturn. If someone were to awaken inside a PY Cruiser, it would be hard to know that it was a power boat until you got on deck. In 2010, I saw a dirt cheap dealer price on a PY Cruiser that was a twp or three years old and never sold or titled, but still a bit too much to invest at the time.

Good point, Conrad....the answer being yes and no. The PY Cruiser (trawler) shares its keel depth with the SP Cruiser Motor Sailor at 3'8", as opposed to the full sail 380 at 4'7". I don't think there are many of the PY Cruisers around since they hit the market just before the economic downturn. If someone were to awaken inside a PY Cruiser, it would be hard to know that it was a power boat until you got on deck. In 2010, I saw a dirt cheap dealer price on a PY Cruiser that was a twp or three years old and never sold or titled, but still a bit too much to invest at the time.

Thanks Larry,
I'm fascinated with the novel design, although I've never actually seen one in person. Are they still being produced?

Conrad,
I'll bet the Sundowner isn't a FD hull. Here is a Nordic Tug that isn't and the Sundowner is probably even more of a SD than the Nordic. The owner of this Nordic 26 has 55hp and goes 10 knots. Not a FD. I think the sundowner has a flatter bottom and more submerged transom. I'm more familiar w the Nordic and am not sure about the Sundowner.

As for the Nordhavn's I know the 46 is FD and am assuming the 62 is but haven't seen it's bottom. I've seen several other Nordhavn's (43,40 and 47) and a weak case could be made to classify them as SD because of some submerged transom but the QBBL is not flattish. Case way too weak and calling them SD dosn't seem to fly at all. So FD.

Attachments

• DSCF1001 copy.jpg
    DSCF1001 copy.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Conrad,
I'll bet the Sundowner isn't a FD hull. Here is a Nordic Tug that isn't and the Sundowner is probably even more of a SD than the Nordic. The owner of this Nordic 26 has 55hp and goes 10 knots. Not a FD. I think the sundowner has a flatter bottom and more submerged transom. I'm more familiar w the Nordic and am not sure about the Sundowner.

You may be right Eric, I've never seen the bottom of a Sundowner.

I do know that way back when they were first on the market we took one out for a seatrial and it certainly fit the general concept of an FD, at least in appearance from the waterline up. I.e., it had a 50 HP Pathfinder diesel and I think the top speed was around 7.0 knots. Sounds like an FD for sure but you would get about the same performance with an SD hull with that engine I suppose. At least in reasonably quiet water. Okay, now that I think about it, it probably was an SD. :surrender:

I think the Eagle 32 has/had an FD hull; an early review of one suggested that adding more power would just create a lot of commotion in the water without any significant increase in speed. Sounds like an FD to me.

Yes Yes Conrad.
The Eagle 32 is a little foggy in my memory but I'm quite sure it's FD.

Magicbus,
I don't know what that "38" is but it's very close to FD. It does drag some transom in the water but it's got a very shallow QBBL. Meaning a very straight run aft. A bit like the 49 DeFever but the DeFever has a bit more of a QBBL angle. The "38" is an interesting boat hull in that she's seems to have a well fwd CG. Without the keel the stern would wag all over the place but of course the typical trawler keel is there basically all the way aft and as deep as the forefoot (deep in this case).

The 38 must eat headseas alive and rise up smartly to meet and stay high enough to be always out of trouble in that regard and land very softly. But in sternseas I'd imagine the rudder to be overworked and occasionally overwhelmed. Too small. One could call her a high speed displacement hull. Note I dropped the "full" from the title.

This is a FD hull. It's hard to put the "38" in the same category. Nice boat though. What is it?

Attachments

• DSCF0151 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0151 copy 2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 133
Interesting analysis and an interesting thread. It's the "baby" Selene I mentioned earlier and you are spot on regarding the small rudder... I always thought mine was large but my 48 is takes effort to handle in a following sea.

Dave

Ad for Eagle 32 - they call it semi-displacement

Eagle 32 Pilothouse Trawler for sale, 9.75m, 1986 | BoatshedSeattle.com

and for the "eyeball classification gurus"

I have an old brochure for the Eagle 32 and the profile drawing is very different from the 40 that you have provided, in that the hull is much fuller aft and sweeps up to the transom. I'll see if I can scan it for the ECGs (Eyeball Classification Gurus). May even be able to find the old review, who knows.

I have an old brochure for the Eagle 32 and the profile drawing is very different from the 40 that you have provided, in that the hull is much fuller aft and sweeps up to the transom. I'll see if I can scan it for the ECGs (Eyeball Classification Gurus). May even be able to find the old review, who knows.

I have seen both...semi and full listed...for those interested (like 90+ percent of trawlers out there)...buyer beware ...both of the boat and other people's opinions. As many boat companies have been reborn...the older and newer models may be different.

I had 2 people this morning tell me how well Albin's were built...then I went through the laundry list of stuff I had found on mine...and they gasped...then again I told them there's other trawlers out there with similar issues.

Conrad the Eagle 40 definitely isn't FD. And I'm about 80% sure the 32 is. I was seriously shopping for an E32 about 3 or so years ago. Like them very much but most are very overpowered. FL 120 as I recall. Some have 4cyl FLs (shakers I think) but I consider the ones w other small engines a treasure. But there's few.

Thanks magicbus,
I remember someone showed me a pic of a Selene (the stern under) a long time ago. I recall that I thought it was very close to FD then and haven't changed my mind I see.

An advertisement has a mission .... To sell the product. Sea Dory called their OB boat a trawler in ads 5 or 10 years ago. Brokers will also call a boat whatever they think will help sell it.

Conrad actually psneeld is right. It's a 32. The Eagle. And I see they called it a SD. But I don't think it is. Without a pic I'd put the Eagle on the FD list. But would rather see a picture.

Last edited:
not many pics of 32's

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 712
Psneeld I see the drawing of the E32 and in the drawing it does definitely look SD to me. But drawings are drawings and it could be not a true representation of lines and form.

With the color and detail it looks like the drawing most often seen of the Willard 50. Could be done by the same artist.

Your pic in the last post sheds no light on the issue as it's of the bow.

better????????????? that's a 1985...the newer ones look a little different....

Nordic just below

Attachments

• 4473180_20130929104259613_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4473180_20130929104259613_1_XLARGE.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 4363061_20131119092855823_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4363061_20131119092855823_1_XLARGE.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Found the old brochure on the 32 and the Pacific Yachting April 1989 review that mentioned performance.

I'll ask my technologically gifted son to scan the side profile of the 32 tonight for the ECG crowd; to my very untrained eye it could go either way.

The review of the 135HP 16000# vessel was ambiguous; the author's calculated hull speed of 7 knots was exceeded in that they reached 8.8 knots while moving a lot of water.

A search for Ken Hankinson info (he designed the Eagle 32) comes up with the Union Jack plan which looks identical to the eagle except for no pilothouse. (The side profile of the fibreglass Eagle strongly suggests that they used a steel hull as the plug for their original mold.) The writeup suggests that it is a semi displacement design.

31' Union Jack - semi-displacement trawler yacht-boatdesign

Now for the photo gurus...FD or SD???...what boat? For the really good...how big of an engine????

Attachments

• 4414559_20130719154705003_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4414559_20130719154705003_1_XLARGE.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 109
SD FD? Been told we are SD by forum experts. Confirmed by builder publications as a SD. (Of course in 1978 fuel burn was an issue and speed at a fuel cost was important perhaps classified for sales pitch purposes) Now, to view bottoms in this thread that appear to be much more fair in contour encouraging higher performance being logged in as FD and that accepted by some of those same experts who judged our boat as a SD raises ones eye brow, just saying.
Happy and content to be a SD traveling on a FD agenda. 1.25 GPH at 6.5 is acceptable.
Here is the bottom of our boat. There is no flat surface the full race of the bottom. Sharp entry, moving to a round couture surface continuing to the stern as viewed.
A
l:flowers::banghead:

Marben Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
543155_0_20110308104511_2_0.jpg

Now for the photo gurus...FD or SD???...what boat? For the really good...how big of an engine????

Sure looks like the back of our Nordic Tugs 42 with 350 HP....

I think I'll wait a little more...can't wait for some of the responses....:D:socool::D

200hp Albin or 120hp w 3-1 reduction gears. SD.

Last edited:
What about the older Grand Banks 32 & 36?

Bikeandboat, I'm not really clear on SD or FD :(. All I know is like my 42 GB 1981' the have full keel and the smaller 32 and 36 used 120 Lehmans usually a single. I think I'm lost somewhere between the two and need a MD...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom