Sailboat to trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnawake

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blue Bayou
Vessel Make
Hatteras 43 MY
How many people switch to a trawler after sailing for years? I know they are out there and I know the reasons are good for switching. I have a couple friends that have grown tired of the ICW and want travel to South America so they purchased a 40' sailboat. Thats what I would like to do. Maybe take a few years and cross the big pond (dont tell my wife). Well, she would say take off and I'll fly there to met you. We both really want to do some long range cruising. I have a Beautiful 1985 43' Hatteras MY that we have been living on for a little over three years. So what are the chances that a sailor with a large sailboat would want to trade? Is it possible to do this without the brokers getting involved?

Attachments

• mile hammock bay.jpg
    mile hammock bay.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 116
Many switch, largely as they age. Sometimes for family purposes. But, the odds of putting together that perfect trade are very slim.

Do you and your wife have sailing experience?

Yeah I figured it would be hard. However, I'm bias toward our Hatteras. It would make someone a great livaboard. We burn 3.5 gph @ 7.5 kts. Trawler fuel economy with tons of room. I have sailed for 20 years or so, but not long range. I'm really getting tired of the ICW. Recently we went sailing with friends in the keys. My wife liked sailing and wants to go long range also. If the sailboat doesnt work out, we will gladly keep the Hatt. We love it.

How about bringing that Hat up to the Puget Sound, San Juan and Alaska area via the Ditch? Long cruise, great adventure and a whole new cruising experience!

Yeah I figured it would be hard. However, I'm bias toward our Hatteras. It would make someone a great livaboard. We burn 3.5 gph @ 7.5 kts. Trawler fuel economy with tons of room. I have sailed for 20 years or so, but not long range. I'm really getting tired of the ICW. Recently we went sailing with friends in the keys. My wife liked sailing and wants to go long range also. If the sailboat doesnt work out, we will gladly keep the Hatt. We love it.

What is preventing you from exploring beyond the ICW with your Hatteras? Range?

The problem with working out an exchange is there are often some willing but they don't want to exchange fair value. Although in their mind, you may be the one who doesn't. It's difficult enough to price one item but to agree on price of two to make an exchange is more so. Now, you may just find that person and work out the perfect deal.

What is preventing you from exploring beyond the ICW with your Hatteras? Range?

The problem with working out an exchange is there are often some willing but they don't want to exchange fair value. Although in their mind, you may be the one who doesn't. It's difficult enough to price one item but to agree on price of two to make an exchange is more so. Now, you may just find that person and work out the perfect deal.

A couple things. Price of fuel or lack of it in another country. We've traveled in the ocean several times. Some trips good others not so good. 2-3 ft seas is all we want to handle. We roll like crazy with no stabilizers. I just like the motion of sleeping on a sailboat for long passages in the ocean. As far as island hopping in the Bahamas or somewhere close, you cant beat the 43 Hatt. A sailboat can take much more punishment. a 43' heavy sailboat can plow through 4ft seas with ease. 4 ft seas would be bad for me. As far as an exchange. People must know the broker will take 10%. They normally mark the boat up 20% more just as a cushion. Seems like a deal could be made. I see your point though.

How many people switch to a trawler after sailing for years?

I think a lot of people do just that when they decide they are too old for the physical demands of sailing but still want to travel on the water.

As for trading your trawler for a sailboat, it's going to be tough to find a boat to trade for where both parties covet the other person's boat. You'll do better to find someone willing to buy your current boat and someone willing to sell you the boat you want.

Magna,
I have a 42 foot Jeanneau, 2011 model that I'll sell you. We just purchased our first trawler so a trade is out. But since I now own two boats I am what is referred to as a "motivated seller".

It's tough to find someone who wants exactly what you have and vice versa. Why not just sell it and use the universal trade item, money?

Why not do it in the Hatt? Get some stabilizers installed (an expensive proposition I know, but maybe cheaper than trade or a sell/buy deal) and go. Several links here on TF to the family doing it in a 3788 Bayliner. It certainly can be done.

30K for stabs. Wow. I've always loved sailing. I had a great time motoring. Id just like to try something else.

How about bringing that Hat up to the Puget Sound, San Juan and Alaska area via the Ditch? Long cruise, great adventure and a whole new cruising experience!

X2

Mag, consider Bob's idea.. amazing cruising between wa and ak.

After almost 30 years sailing I bought a Hi Star 55, and i'm loving to cruise with more comfort

Sailboat to Trawler

It's tough to find someone who wants exactly what you have and vice versa. Why not just sell it and use the universal trade item, money?

Can't take your trade, but I may have just the long range boat you're looking for. Winnie the Pooh is the trawler that was a sailboat. 46' long, US built, large comfy pilothouse and the strength and stability of a sailboat. 7.5 kts @ 1.5 gph from the John Deere diesel. The boat was completely rebuilt from the keel up and relaunched in 1997. asking $85k. for details and photos go to www.trawlerpooh.blogspot.com

We are making the switch or will as soon as we can sell our sailboat.

So what kind and length sailboat do you need to sale? I assume its not a 40 or better in a lake.

Can't take your trade, but I may have just the long range boat you're looking for. Winnie the Pooh is the trawler that was a sailboat. 46' long, US built, large comfy pilothouse and the strength and stability of a sailboat. 7.5 kts @ 1.5 gph from the John Deere diesel. The boat was completely rebuilt from the keel up and relaunched in 1997. asking $85k. for details and photos go to www.trawlerpooh.blogspot.com

Yeah Im looking for a long range cruising sailboat. We are real happy with our boat. At trawler speeds it gets 3.5 gph @7.5 kts which is great for its size.

Hello! We own a hinckley, bermuda '40 (the hinckley hall-of-fame model). We'd be interested in a trade for a trawler. Let's discuss it?
Brent/beatrice

We have a 1999, 34' car, sailboat, Gimini 105M, for sale or trade for a trawler / Motoryacht.
We are located in SW Florida if you are interested. We can provide all information by email.

Thanks
Henry
hfmckevitt@gmail.com

We are looking for a mono hull. You have a nice boat though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom