TV Show - "Shipwreck Men"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwidman

Guru
Shipwreck Men : Discovery Channel

Anyone watch this show on TV? It's supposed to be about boat towing and salvage companies. A "reality show".

Personally I've only been at the other end of the tow rope, but somehow I see this show as complete BS with towboats racing to see who gets to a job first, lots of cursing, and unlikely scenarios.

Opinions? Actual experience from the other end of the tow rope?

Shipwreck Men : Discovery Channel Anyone watch this show on TV? It's supposed to be about boat towing and salvage companies. A "reality show". Personally I've only been at the other end of the tow rope, but somehow I see this show as complete BS with towboats racing to see who gets to a job first, lots of cursing, and unlikely scenarios. Opinions? Actual experience from the other end of the tow rope?
Its legit I see them all the time.

From my brief brush with and being friends with the 'stars' of reality shows, I can firmly tell you that reality TV shows are not 'real'.

What they are is 'scripted reality' meaning that they take parts of reality and add drama. Kinda like a move that is based on a true story.

Last edited:
I was once on a boat that was taking on water. We called for help from the tow company the owner had insurance with. Two competing tow companies raced out to get the job. The boat owner didn't have insurance with the first to arrive and refused his help. He was pretty mad. The Coasties arrived, put a pump aboard and neither tow company got the job.

From my brief brush with and being friends with the 'stars' of reality shows, I can firmly tell you that reality TV shows are not 'real'. .

Get outta here! Not real? :)

I thought "Deadliest Catch" was interesting, for about 3 episodes. Since then I can't watch more than about 10 minutes of any "reality" show. They're just too silly and contrived for my tastes.

I thought "Deadliest Catch" was interesting, for about 3 episodes. Since then I can't watch more than about 10 minutes of any "reality" show. They're just too silly and contrived for my tastes.

Don't get me started on that duck show...that rant would likely get me banned form the forum.

Don't get me started on that duck show...that rant would likely get me banned form the forum.

Due to the faux outrage over the homophobic remarks I just had to look. I know, "don't feed the trolls", but I'm only human. And then I saw this: The Before-and-After Pics of the Phony Duck Dynasty Clan | Out Magazine

Now, THAT'S funny. Which is perfectly cool with me. But it does crack me up when I talk with friends who think that what they see on TV "reality" shows is real.

You sure have that right!!!:thumb:
Ted

I have seen the Shipwreck Men show. I sat thru all 5-ish episode they broadcast. It could be the dumbest show I have ever seen. It ranks up there with Below Deck. Still, I watch them all just like I watch NA$CAR... for the wrecks. (old adage, but it serves to make the point) ;-) Maybe pull even the smallest of interesting boat stuff out of it.

Reality TV is an ingenious development. Low cost, no sets to build, no high-paid acting talent, the scripts could be written by a 5th grader..
"We gotta catch a fish today, man, we gotta get a fish.."
Yet they sell plenty of advertising on them, and Americans don't mind the brain-dead content. I like the tuna guys, especially with the sound down.
I like to watch their boats, how they ride, the sea, no sound required. The show is a hundred percent better muted. :rofl:

reality show....there are a few guys like that...actually a guy like that in Ocean City, NJ...but like many professions the whack jobs are always less than 10%.

The guy in NJ actually has a few seagulls flying around inside of his house with fishing nets strung around to keep them in one area....the guy is often referred as..well you can guess.

The rest of everyone I know tries to excel and be "professional" so you will become a customer...

There is a professional accreditation program for assistance towers that do much of the minor to medium salvage all around the US. Some of the bigger outfits that do jobs like the Costa Concordia are a totally different league.

While I have watched many, the reality is that they would never do those dumb things if not on TV and being compensated for it some way, some how.

Gold Rush is the prefect example, who would move all the equipt, etc to South America based on a "salted mine".. NO one spending their own money.

having said that, i do like Tuna Wars and do feel that it is as close to reality, as they can be.

I miss Whale Wars too, but then that's a real mission.

Reality TV is an ingenious development. Low cost, no sets to build, no high-paid acting talent, the scripts could be written by a 5th grader..
"We gotta catch a fish today, man, we gotta get a fish.."
Yet they sell plenty of advertising on them, and Americans don't mind the brain-dead content. I like the tuna guys, especially with the sound down.
I like to watch their boats, how they ride, the sea, no sound required. The show is a hundred percent better muted. :rofl:

Featured crew members on a top reality show like "Deadliest Catch" make a nice stipend and are under contract, which includes making public appearances and follow up programs. The crewman I'm acquainted with has a six figure performance contract, which is more than he makes fishing. There are lots of downsides, the most aggravating are the stupid stunts the producers dream up for them to act out, it's difficult to say "No", and the crap they get from the other fishermen.

Due to the faux outrage over the homophobic remarks I just had to look. I know, "don't feed the trolls", but I'm only human. And then I saw this: The Before-and-After Pics of the Phony Duck Dynasty Clan | Out Magazine

Now, THAT'S funny. Which is perfectly cool with me. But it does crack me up when I talk with friends who think that what they see on TV "reality" shows is real.

I tip my hat to those guys. I wish I had thought of that.

TV; keeping stupid people stupid for 70 years and counting.

I like the fact that just over the horizon on Deadliest Catch there's a USCG cutter full of grossly underpaid guys willing to give their life to come save the grossly overpaid guys on camera.

I like the "gator hunter" shows. The hunter "runs out of gas" in the boat and has to hope a friend happens along with some gas or all the gators will spoil. Isn't there a boat with the camera crew right behind her? Why don't they give her some gas or tow her home? Does she not have a VHF or at least a cell phone?

Another one - the hunter gets lost and can't find his way back home. He has no GPS on board? The camera boat has no GPS?

On the towing show I mentioned, I can't see people with any sense doing some of the stupid and dangerous things these guys are shown doing.

When I was young we only had four TV channels to watch. Now we have a couple hundred and still nothing worth wasting time watching.

The Keltchers down Homer way have a Mercedes sitting in the driveway now. I know a few members of the clan. They do it because they like the life style not because the have to.

sd

When I was young we only had four TV channels to watch. Now we have a couple hundred and still nothing worth wasting time watching.

At least one show - "Justified"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom