View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #19
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Pack Mule,
Three strand could require a bigger cleat than braid or Brait due to it's flexibility. Standards like FF quoted often aren't applicable. I'd say as long as you can tie off securely the way YOU do it and w the ties or knots YOU use and it's strong enough I'd say go for it.

Also the rule of thumb dosn't take into consideration the design of the cleat. My three fwd cleats have less room for line as they are double posted. Most galvanized cleats are single posted and have more room for line. Put your own judgement into the picture as well as common practice.

Anchors are sized to the length of a boat but the standards assume a typical boat. Chapman may call out for a certain length of anchor rode but FL and AK have way different requirements.

Can't remember the lengths of my cleats but I use 5/8ths line and they are fine. I think the're 12" and 10". In this pic I have braid, Brait and 3 strand nylon line. The flexibility and weave of the Brait can be easily seen. The port bow line is only 1/2". For reference the chain in the box is 1/4" and the chain on the deck is 3/8ths". Oh ... the cleats and capstan are through bolted.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0161 copy 5.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote