Long Distance Cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great post, Kevin. There is truly no one size fits all answer. At 72 I'm still asking if I should take "early" retirement. Probably the answer is no. We've enough speed to go where we want. There are only a few new places we would really like to cruise (Maine being one), and we enjoy the way we boat. It's a great life style. I have been cruising for 42 years, and enjoyed them all. Well almost all.

Great posts, it is truly the cruisers and not the boats that are important. As far as the boats are concerned there is a conception that bigger/more complex is better. This can truly be a trap. Not just in terms of money outlay and the delay in cruising in order to get the bigger boat, but the inconvenience of a larger more complex boat. Maintenance / repairs while cruising is a major issue especially once one leaves the first world countries.

As to how to determine what size/complexity of boat is really needed for any location, I use my eyes, what are the majority of non-local boats in any location. Generally this is a bell curve on size. If you want a boat at either extreme of the bell curve then realize that you are the exception and consider what that means.

The absolute rule is that it is better to cruise now, then to dream of the perfect boat.

On this same note, last week, after i had done my posting of the Miami Boat show and what i wanted to get done on Dauntless, I was really stressed and depressed.

Then, the next morning, as I was discussing the plans with Julie, I realized that Dauntless was ready. It was really just me and my mindset. I had a whole list of stuff that I wanted done, that would certainly increase my convenience, but in reality, the boat was ready.

There are two things I did absolutely need: stabilization (paravanes) and fuel. the paravanes are being fabricated as I write this and fuel is fuel. The rest is a bunch of stuff that would be nice, but could even wait til later in the spring or next fall in Europe.

So I re-prioritized my list and feel, not only is it more likely to get done, but I'm hot to trot:dance:

A consideration for me is that staying employed for 2 additional years has been a huge financial windfall that I was not expecting. So it was really a no brainer for me not to retire.

Few if any financial planners will give you advice better than Timejet's. For many of us quitting work early to go play is a very poor choice.

We started cruising when I was 44 and Cindy was 34. We were both still working demanding jobs, and living far from the ocean in Utah. Here's our small boat cruising story, from my little book:

Cindy and I have been lucky enough to spend more than 1,400 days cruising some 44,000 miles in our own small boats, mainly on the pristine waters of the Pacific Northwest. We aren’t wealthy, and we sure didn’t come into cruising as expert boaters – far from it. We were tent campers, who enjoyed fishing and liked being around the water.

We’ve wandered the Inside Passage as far as Glacier Bay, and floated in front of the great tidewater glaciers, while they calved huge chunks of ice. We’ve been surrounded by whales, porpoises, sea otters, seals and sea lions, dozens of eagles, and bears prowling the shoreline. We’ve feasted on succulent Dungeness crab, huge spot prawns, salmon, and halibut – all caught by us. In so many wonderful anchorages, we’ve been absolutely enchanted by the beauty all around us.

So how did tent campers become cruisers? While camping on Vancouver Island one summer, we decided to go out for a day with a salmon fishing guide. It was dynamite - beautiful, exciting, and great fishing too, all in a 16-foot boat.

Months later, we wandered into a boat show, thinking we could probably afford such a boat. We looked at quite a few, but none really knocked us out. Then we set eyes on a little cabin boat that really stood out from the crowd. It was a C-Dory 22 Cruiser, not too much bigger than the fishing boats we were considering, but with a huge difference - it was designed for “camping on the water”. We spent several hours checking out every aspect of the C-Dory. After two more days at the boat show and lots of discussion, we were sold.

That little boat turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made - a perfect choice for beginning cruisers. She was seaworthy as can be, built with quality, and very cleverly laid out to make the most of her 22 feet. Her cabin sheltered us from the weather, and had windows with all-round visibility. She had good cooking, eating, and sleeping facilities. With her 90hp outboard, she could cruise at 18-20 knots (21-23 mph), and travel 170 nautical miles (195 statute miles) on a tank of gas.

With this boat, we were able to spend peaceful weeks sightseeing on Lake Powell in southern Utah, then weeks and months exploring the Inside Passage of the Pacific Northwest.

The Inside Passage, a stretch of coast roughly 1000 miles long, runs northwest from Washington’s Puget Sound up to Glacier Bay in Southeast Alaska. It’s called the Inside Passage because its waters are protected by countless islands, in a mostly unpopulated area often 100 miles wide from east to west. Roads reach only a very small part of this wild, out-there place. It’s some of the finest cruising anywhere.

If you really want to, you could do this…

Last edited:
Few if any financial planners will give you advice better than Timejet's. For many of us quitting work early to go play is a very poor choice.

Unless you croak 2 months later from the stress or anything for that matter..

hey...everyone is in a different situation with different wants, needs, health, tolerances, significant other situations...etc...etc...

No one should walk anyone's path but their own...simplistic?...you bet but is there any other answer?????

I say if you love your job...retirement sucks...I wish I was still flying for the USCG many days...but the smart copilots would have had me grounded long ago anyway....:D

I just saw a plaque that says it well:

"I'd rather be lost at sea than found at home"

or in the words of a good sailor friend:

"You can sleep on your boat but you can't sail your house"

Can you tell I'm getting anxious for spring?

Life is good.

Totally agree.

I started my cruising experience in a flush deck Haida 26', going Victoria to Hawaii short handed (2 of us), then a separate leg up Australia to New Guinea. The owner took it around the world eventually. Yes we were younger and put up with a lot of things I would not do today, but there is no question that sometimes we overcomplicate things.

I also did some great cruising with my wife on our 20' SeaRay cuddy, including Princess Louisa inlet. Our boat was smaller than some of the tenders!

The current boat is a little bit more comfortable than both those (!), but comes with attendant expense, maintenance and work.

I read somewhere that the enjoyment one gets out of a boat is inversely proportional to its size!

I keep eying those expedition rowboats. That, to me, looks like a great adventure...

...I say if you love your job...retirement sucks...I wish I was still flying for the USCG many days...but the smart copilots would have had me grounded long ago anyway....:D

If you don't love your job, it's time for a new job.

That's said by someone who has had many jobs.:D:

And RCook talked about his C-Dory, which reminded me that that was my first coveted boat also.

1991 in Sitka, Alaska, with my friend Larry, who just moved there for a new job. I visited often, as I loved SE Alaska and was already being drained by my business I had started in Fairbanks, 3 years earlier.

We spent countless hours looking at boats.

We'll be there in a few years.

Great thread! Most of you know where I stand on the subject but bare with me a moment. My family of five will forever be closer because of the considerable time we have spent cruising together. Life is truly far shorter than we can imagine. Never end a day with regrets. You will only regret what you haven't done.

. For many of us quitting work early to go play is a very poor choice.

UNLESS your profession is very mobile and can be done on contract for limited periods of time

E.R MD comes to mind as does nurse.

I read somewhere that the enjoyment one gets out of a boat is inversely proportional to its size!

There's truth in that.

I was semi retired until the age of 32, and part of that time was spent sea kayaking BC's coast for 6 months...there is no more intimate way to get to know an area.

Comparing 'trawlering' to sea kayaking is like comparing a bicycle tour through the Rockies to doing it in a motorhome, or hiking up a mountain to taking the tram...all will get you to your destination, but smaller and slower gives your senses the opportunity and time to drink everything in.

Last edited:
I am going to repeat something I have written here in the past.
It is better to be cruising on a Bayliner, (Mainship, Marine Trader, insert the brand of lower price boats here) rather than standing on the dock waiting to earn enough to buy a Nordhavn.

My wife and I did a trial retirement about 10 years ago just to see if we could stand it. After our summer cruise my wife got bored and went back to work doing exactly what she was doing before. Me? I loved it and only went back to real work after trying some part time things like yacht brokerage, substitute teaching and USCGAUX stuff. I can't wait to get back to doing nothing.

Hey Kevin, getting cabin fever yet? Great post my friend and I am retiring in 20 months and I am finding that this is a real short time to get ASD ready for her first real big cruise.

Hey Kevin, getting cabin fever yet? Great post my friend and I am retiring in 20 months and I am finding that this is a real short time to get ASD ready for her first real big cruise.

Didnt I read somewhere you're coming north this summer?

If thats correct, are you going all the way to Whittier or Seward?

I'll try & quote Jack London, "......I would but for a moment be a bright, brilliant meteor, than to exist for ever as a twinkle of far and distant star." I have many rivers to cross before my boat is ready to take off for Mexico frm Portland. As soon as I think she's ready, off we go. We all die sometime, war, water, horses or mules. Ya can't get done sett'n in the house. Make the boat the slave. Thanks everyone for your comments by the way.

Can you reference this quote for me (for personal reasons)
Thanks
Scott

I think some people it's the dream of cruising that keeps them going and when they get to a point where they can actually go, something else is now more important.

Like you said, it's the people.

I would have thought that was from The Cruise of the Snark. Jack was one of the true first cruisers.

Happiness is an undefined destination that is different for every person. We each need to try to understand ourselves enough to be able to set our personal direction. Retire early on less or later on more? I can't answer that for any other human being and to suggest that I know that answer is presumptuous and a bit pompous. I know people living life happily in ways I can't begin to comprehend. I know people who retire and never look back while I've known others who felt like their very reason for living had been pulled out from under them when they retired. I know this sounds impossible, but I even know people who don't like boating, don't like the water, want to stay far away from it.

My wife and I did a trial retirement about 10 years ago just to see if we could stand it. After our summer cruise my wife got bored and went back to work doing exactly what she was doing before. Me? I loved it and only went back to real work after trying some part time things like yacht brokerage, substitute teaching and USCGAUX stuff. I can't wait to get back to doing nothing.

The worst thing about retirement is, you don't get any days off! ;)

If this gut can do it, anyone can. Look closely to see what his side decks are made out of.

Attachments

• 1b freddy freddy.jpg
    1b freddy freddy.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Didnt I read somewhere you're coming north this summer?

If thats correct, are you going all the way to Whittier or Seward?

It will be the summer of 2016. Not sure if we will make it that far north on the first trip as I have a lot of exploring to do in SE. But I will be retired and not on a schedule....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom