What size anchor line is this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Is this 5/8" or 3/4" anchor line .

Attachments

• anchor line.jpg
    anchor line.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 186
three-fourths (six-eights)

3/4

You can see better than us ..... Why do you ask?

Perhaps 22mm.

If it's a soft lay, it might be 5/8". The way to tell is to weigh as much of it as you can.
and figure out the weight per foot. 5/8" nylon should be about .099 pounds per foot and 3/4" .143 pounds per foot.

Perhaps 22mm.

:lol:

What is that, Bruce, computer code? We have no idea what ypu're talking about. Can you translate to Exclusive USA Units of Measure? (EUSAUM) :D

Back to the OP's question, looks like a 3/4 US inch to me. But I like HopCar's answer a whole lot better.

Parks, is that wet weight or dry weight? If wet weight, salt water or fresh? What would that weight be in all other parts of the world? :socool:

Seriously, I like that 10 ft to a lb for 5/8. Good info!

3/4

You can see better than us ..... Why do you ask?
I know that it measures 3/4" but I always thought that line od was always bigger than what it actually is . I've always been con fused on this .I was trying to size a cleat for this line . Would a 9 inch cleat be good for this or would it be too small.I had a small bolt down sampson post before and it didn't matter what the size was .

The question is what cleat does it fit best?

5/8 is 10/16 , which firs a 10 inch cleat

3/4 is 12/16, so needs a 12 inch cleat,

FF :thumb: or another way to say it is ....

Cleats should measure one inch in length (tip to tip) for each 1/16 inch of line diameter.

The question is what cleat does it fit best?

5/8 is 10/16 , which firs a 10 inch cleat

3/4 is 12/16, so needs a 12 inch cleat,

It could be 11/16. ;)

Sizing a cleat to fit the line seems backwards to me. Line is temporary, cleats are permanent. Install the cleats then buy line to fit.

As a practical matter smaller line fits a larger cleat better than the other way around so I would install the larger cleat unless I had a good reason not to.

I've got about 1000' of this line . I have about 500' of next size down , but the larger line came with the boat and is almost new. Looks like I need a 12" cleat for this line. FF I guess I'll have to pass on the 9" cleat since I was going to use it for my anchor cleat . I'm still want the two 12" you have for my bow cleats. I wish you had one more.

I know that it measures 3/4" but I always thought that line od was always bigger than what it actually is . I've always been con fused on this .I was trying to size a cleat for this line . Would a 9 inch cleat be good for this or would it be too small.I had a small bolt down sampson post before and it didn't matter what the size was .
Maybe my thinking on this only applies to braided line and not twisted ?

Get the biggest cleat you can that fits/looks ok/you can afford. If you ever have to storm tie the boat, it is easy to run out of cleat when adding lines.

Pack Mule,
Three strand could require a bigger cleat than braid or Brait due to it's flexibility. Standards like FF quoted often aren't applicable. I'd say as long as you can tie off securely the way YOU do it and w the ties or knots YOU use and it's strong enough I'd say go for it.

Also the rule of thumb dosn't take into consideration the design of the cleat. My three fwd cleats have less room for line as they are double posted. Most galvanized cleats are single posted and have more room for line. Put your own judgement into the picture as well as common practice.

Anchors are sized to the length of a boat but the standards assume a typical boat. Chapman may call out for a certain length of anchor rode but FL and AK have way different requirements.

Can't remember the lengths of my cleats but I use 5/8ths line and they are fine. I think the're 12" and 10". In this pic I have braid, Brait and 3 strand nylon line. The flexibility and weave of the Brait can be easily seen. The port bow line is only 1/2". For reference the chain in the box is 1/4" and the chain on the deck is 3/8ths". Oh ... the cleats and capstan are through bolted.

Attachments

• DSCF0161 copy 5.jpg
    DSCF0161 copy 5.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
This rope looks to measure 3/4" but is sold as 5/8" I don't know the reason, maybe rope is sized while tightly wound or twisted? In the picture it is lying "natural" but not untwisted. It is nylon rope "Hecho en Mexico" I believe it was $185.00 for a 600 foot spool when I bought it in Houma La. 5 years ago.

Attachments

• rope five eigths.jpg
    rope five eigths.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 170
This rope looks to measure 3/4" but is sold as 5/8" I don't know the reason, maybe rope is sized while tightly wound or twisted? In the picture it is lying "natural" but not untwisted. It is nylon rope "Hecho en Mexico" I believe it was $185.00 for a 600 foot spool when I bought it in Houma La. 5 years ago.
Thanks Steve that was what I was thinking.I guess though when you are sizing cleats you should go with at least as big as the rope measures or larger .This rope needs at least a 12" cleat.

line size and cleat size are important...ever tie thin line around a larger cleat than normal and you watch it slip away as if it wasn't secured at all????

The old rule of thumb is that line and radius when in unison will act as follows....3 round turns and the friction should be so great the line will part before it slips...no half hitch to lock it down...that's for weekend warriors and yachties. FF's rule of thumb isn't probably off at all....

So line size and your cleats is important. I feel that if you cleat is full with the line tied with a normal cleat hitch and it's full enough to NOT take a second line...all is probably corredt...it stinks though that you need a second cleat for the second line.

Plus as Don Casey points out for BoatUS readers..the larger the line the more chafe it will endure and the less chafe will actually occur. So go with the largest line you have or want (yes at some point a shock absorber will be needed to reduce the stiffness of larger line) and cleats to match....of go with what looks normal for a boat your size and have appropriate lines and snubbers to deal with varied situations.

Goodness. I did not know cleats were so finicky. It's amazing that I didn't have more boats escape than I did.

See that Dad. It wasn't my fault when the rowboat got away from the dock in June 1975; it was the improper cleat size.

How does one size line for bullrails?

Goodness. I did not know cleats were so finicky. It's amazing that I didn't have more boats escape than I did.

See that Dad. It wasn't my fault when the rowboat got away from the dock in June 1975; it was the improper cleat size.

How does one size line for bullrails?

You need to use the proper "bull" ratio....:D

found these while researching cleat sizing....

How to Tie Your Boat to a Dock that has a Bull Rail – Part 1 | Boating Safety Tips, Tricks & Thoughts from Captnmike

How to Tie Your Boat to a Dock that has a Bull Rail

thought it basically said it really doesn't matter on line size... no matter how much "bull" is there...:thumb:

Are we there yet….?

We didn't talk about such things in 08.

Spy,
Size line for bullrails? BS of course.

Last edited:
I guess we have beat this dead horse or bull long enough . I've decided I have 3/4" line that some call it 3/4 and some call it 5/8 and I'm gonna buy all 12" cleats from FF . I'll come up with a better thread next time .

If it is on the boat it is called an anchor rode on the spool it is called line or rope.

It looks to be 3/4" to me.

SD

Pack Mule, Samson Rope on the net has ratio of surface area based on rope size for sizing cleats. 3 to 1 surface area to rope size or greater is recommended. The three strand looks like 3/4" .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom