• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: Manual windlass anybody got one for sale ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Wanting to change out my Maxwell Anchor Max to a horizontal manual.

I've got this Powerwinch taken off my boat in working order a few years ago. Is this what you're looking for?

img_187538_0_28e8e1525beed9368751e37b857ddd81.jpg

Pac Man,
Why do you want a manual?
I finally started working on new caprail yesterday . I started at the bow where because it's in the worst shape. I'm rebuilding or replacing everything up here ,anchor roller , bollard and chocks. I don't really have a good reason to replace other than I would like to close up the large hole that the power windlass has to have.Mine doesn't have a chain gypsy .I like the look of the ABI but I think they are going to be to pricey for me. Maybe something like a Simpson Lawrence Sea tiger

Attachments

• Seatiger.jpg
    Seatiger.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 119
Pack Mule

You mention a large hole for the power windlass. Is this for the chain to go into the locker, the wires to the battery, or if it is a vertical windlass the hole for the motor.

A power windlass which is horizontal does not have the large hole for the motor. The chain hole is the same as with a manual and the holes for the wires are insignificant.

Horizontal windlasses come in all sizes and prices. Many people feel that a power windlass is a safety issue in that anchoring and lifting anchor are times in which enough is going on that the skipper should not be burdened with the additional work / distraction of cranking the windlass by hand.

Give some thought to this before you buy a manual windlass and especially talk to others who have one and who anchor out.

Marty

Mine is vertical and the hole is for the motor. When you start to tear things off and see how some of it was put together the first time you kinda start to rethink things.The original install wasn't very good, leaky and rotted out some of the area.I have a outside bulk head area about 2' x 6' and around 2' deep where the chain and rode and fenders are stored then chain and rode feed into the chain locker by hand.We are on the river for now and probably anchor about 20 times a year.I may just reinstall this one and do a better job of it. The chain locker is not far enough aft to get the windlass in line with the anchor.It worked like it was just a ragged install and everything kinda bunched up together. I can extend the teak anchor platform aft and put a manual or powered horizontal here and keep it in line with the anchor.

Get an electric with manual override.....use it in manual a few times trying to get a good set and around the third reset you will probably be real happy its also electric :)

Pac,
I have much the same situation as you. Since I use so little chain (12') or so I opted to get a capstan. When I pull the rode up to point where the chain comes over the bow roller I hand pull the chain and anchor. Still not fun w my 35 lb anchors but not really hard either. But it would be a PITA to pull up from deep w just hands and arms. But it's almost easy w all my lighter anchors (13 - 22lbs) when I use the capstan to pull the bulk of the rode.

The deck board is 1" thick plywood and handles the line pull of the anchor rode and port and stbd mooring lines. It's bedded in "Dolphinite" that always remains soft so I can pull the board up quite easily. All the holes are well covered and sealed.

As you can see my capstan is very small. It's also only $425, very noisy and amazingly powerful .. for it's size. Since the drum is mostly flat I have some trouble keeping it in the middle so I'm thinking a saddle shaped drum like the capstan FlyWright showed is in my future. I've seen a lot of both the winch FlyWright has and the one I have on boat over the years. Google "Powerwinch" and you'll find another similar capstan. In my case the time I actually use the capstan is not long so my capstan motor is on no danger of overheating.

If I ever decide to use a lot more chain (not likely) or use a 35lb anchor regularly I will get a more traditional windlass w the gypsy and a lot more chain. And if I think I need more anchor performance I'll get a 23lb Fortress and retain my system. I'm quite happy w the system I've got though except the straight/flat drum. I think I got the capstan at WM.

When I took this picture I had no idea I'd use it so much.

Attachments

• DSCF0161 copy 5.jpg
    DSCF0161 copy 5.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 159
One of the finest windlasses made was the Simpson Laurence 555.

2 speeds 12-1 and 40-1 (from memory).

There are loads of Chi Com knock offs made years ago that seek OK to use .

I was able to find one a few years ago and it works just fine. But then, I don't anchor out much.

Forgive the diversion, but I note in a couple of posts on this thread the use of "rode" and "chain" as if they were two different things. Chain IS rode. ANYTHING that connects your anchor to your boat is rode...whether it's cable, line, chain, a combination of the two, or nylon panty hose tied together (ref: Chapman Piloting and Seamanship).

CK,
I see I've used the word "chain". And correctly as I see it. The word "rode" refers to the whole thing .... chain + line or cable and probably even shackles I sopze. Talking about the chain part of the rode necessitates using the word that represents that part.

Seems elementary CK ... perhaps I don't understand your criticism.

Last edited:
Forgive the "criticism" Manyboats. None was intended, and you're absolutely right. My comments were prompted by post #7 above. Over the years I've heard so many use the word "rode," thinking that it's a terribly nautical term for "rope," I suppose I've fallen into the old guy's trap of letting such minutia chafe (no pun intended).

Do you know the model of the smaller version of the 555 ?

No but SL still has a web presence.

Ideal is US made and very good quality , but I \dont know about 2 speed manual.

Why would you go smaller than a 555?

If you cruise much that 40-1 ratio is mighty fine in helping get unstuck from errant land lumps.

Last edited:
Thanks I just found it 510 is what I think I want.

winch

I have this royal windlass manual if interested let me know
anchor.jpg

No but SL still has a web presence.

Ideal is US made and very good quality , but I \dont know about 2 speed manual.

Why would you go smaller than a 555?

If you cruise much that 40-1 ratio is mighty fine in helping get unstuck from errant land lumps.
That's a good point. Right now we are just crusing the TN River .anchor out about 20 times a season. Maybe one day do part of the loop from Paris Landing to somewhere around southwest Fla.. I'm gonna look at the deminsions on the 555.

I also used the Royal for years to pull a 44 lb. delta with 40 feet of 3/8 chain. It worked great and we anchor a lot. The manual will save running heavy wires or a dedicated battery. That was my motivation.

Rob

I finally started working on new caprail yesterday . I started at the bow where because it's in the worst shape. I'm rebuilding or replacing everything up here ,anchor roller , bollard and chocks. I don't really have a good reason to replace other than I would like to close up the large hole that the power windlass has to have.Mine doesn't have a chain gypsy .I like the look of the ABI but I think they are going to be to pricey for me. Maybe something like a Simpson Lawrence Sea tiger
Hi. I have a SL 555 for sale $475 and also a smaller Lowrance single speed $350 + shipping

Damian,
I just bought a SL 555 about a month ago . Thanks anyway.

Thanks Larry ,
I just bought a Simpson Lawrence 555 Sea Tiger a little while back . I 'm having to do some work on it . Thanks for sending me the info .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom