Dealing With ICE in the Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have spent many winter seasons as a liveaboard , sometimes locked in the ice.

No problem with the boat locked in , the only problem is in the spring when the boat can begin to move again the breeze can move it enough to scratch the bottom paint at the WL a bit.

I'm counting on this! :D For a week or so my boat was locked in solid. I don't see any damage, inside or out. We'll see how she looks when I have her hauled in the Spring.

%21cid_BF1566CEBE024F6B887B6E583EE944D8@RussPC.jpg
Damn, that looks like Joe Biden.

This may be what they'll use to break up the ice on the Great Lakes once today's military budget cuts kick in and the USCG can no longer afford fuel for the icebreakers.

Dealing With ICE in the Marina

I thought this thread was about Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
You guys are talking about those little cubes I use to keep my drinks cold?

Can't say I blame you, Parks. It's just the kind of thinking that one does when living south of Palm Beach.

Larry are you referring to ICE, the coolest federal acronym ever, or ice in our drinks?

Norm You can always pick the spendy version. This is an amphibex: something between a boat, a plane and a backhoe. It is used to break up ice on the Red River which flows north from the US and through Winnipeg. It runs on an air cushion and has outrigger floats or hydraulically run air cushions. The more northerly (colder) areas Dam up with the released ice from the southern areas and cause flooding. For boaters, it is the ice in motion that really does the damage. You can look at trees along the river bank in the summer and about five feet up the trunk you will see all the areas where the bark is shredded.

Very cool but a little over my budget for ice prevention......

Thx
Norm Miller
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

Larry are you referring to ICE, the coolest federal acronym ever, or ice in our drinks?

Of course, it is ICE, the Fed. Agency I refer to. ICE in marinas down here are a reality. I've seen at least one guy dive into the water at the site of ICE Agents walking down the dock. Not a welcome sight in Miami.

I am a live aboard in Connecticut and our Marina supplies the ice eaters and the power to run them. That being said, I do have a 30 amp extension cord running from my boat to the dock tower ready to plug in the ice eaters and get electricity from my on board genny if power should go out.
I actually enjoy the soft splashing sound against the hull from the ice eaters. I can turn them off if needed and do frequently to conserve electricity.

I get frozen in a lot. I usually just bust it up by hand. it never seemed to hurt the boat.

Then again she is an old boat. No shiny new gelcoat to wory about and the bottom paint comes above the waterline.

The harbor sends a tender around to bust it up. The wind blows the chunks away

sd

I get frozen in a lot. I usually just bust it up by hand. it never seemed to hurt the boat. sd

Skip: Are you staying in a marina in civilization, or are you back out there in the wilds again.

Yep. I came back sold the island. Not as much fun without the Admiral.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom