Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #48
windmist
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Thanks all for your input. We are leaning toward a 5.5k Westerbeke at this point. I've been told we are in the $12-14k range for everything. Our power needs are low and we have lots of batteries. We will also need to build a fuel distribution manifold as a previous owner "simplified" everything when the previous generator was removed. The port tank goes to the port engine, starboard tank to the starboard engine. There is nothing else there.
Just to muddy the waters, another option that hasn't been mentioned is a DC generator that would cost half of what the Westerbeke will cost. I installed one in my boat last year for about 6 grand. It has a 200 Amp alternator and I plumbed it to heat hot water so in 2 hours of run time I have almost fully charged batteries and a tank full of hot water. This all lasts me 2 days at anchor,

Aquamarine, Inc -

Before my MyTGen, I had a Honda 2000. I don't understand why people call it quiet. It is quiet if you don't have much load on it, but it my case, I had to run it at full power and it was embarrassing for me to run it in a quiet anchorage. Even the birds flew away when I started it up.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote