Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Yes, yes, yes. The boat is 90% just about how convenient and comfortable you want to be. The person chooses to go cruising, not the boat. The only place where I can see the boat type/capability being a critical requirement is for long passages where there is some range requirement, but that's a very small subset of cruising.
It is about comfort, and being realistic about your finances. There is a small group of people that are fortunate enough to afford a very expensive, very capable boat, and to have the time to use it. Most of us trade time for money. It is the dynamics of that time for money trade that we tend to get caught up in.

I am 100% part of that dynamic. I could buy a more expensive, more capable boat, but it would require years of my time in trade. Do I retire in my 50's or my 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
I agree Kevin, sooner is much better then later. I do believe there is a certain reliability factor needed in a cruising vessel, it doesn't need to be completely out of sight in the over build department though.

Do you have a link to that blog on the 38 Bayliner?
The 38' bayliners adventures are written by Melanie Woods, who sells her "books" via Amazon. I have the kindle version of her three books and was happy to help fund her cruising dreams with my modest purchase.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote