Fuel tank suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
COWBUOY
Vessel Make
1974 chb
Need to put some new tanks in my 34' chb. Cut the old ones out and pulled them out the hatch that used to be for the generator. The hatch the new tanks have to go into is 28"x22"x28" deep. From what I have been seeing I know I can get a 40 gallon poly tank in there. probably end up with 4 or so of them in the end I don't need more than that really. Just wondered if anyone had any good suggestions on manufacturer or types of tanks I should look at. I'd like to hear some of "wish I would have/should have done" type things. Thanks for all the info you guys throw out here.

I may even cut a new hatch behind the stairs leading to the V-berth so I can get a longer tank in, why not.....

I replaced my original tanks with Moeller (plastic). No problems, issues or complaints

Install a polly tanks, they are great , BUT be sure to install them the polly tank way not the way a metal tank would be installed.

Polly tanks will swell after fueling .

Pro Boat Builder has a great article in their on line files.

I replaced 700 gallons worth of tanks on my Island Gypsy. The company did a beautiful job of fabrication and installation of aluminum tanks with NO engine removal and NO cuts of interior needed. americantanks.net. I highly recommend them. They bid fair and they do what they say they will do.

I installed 2-58 gallon Moeller poly tanks as they were the only thing that fit easily (both to the resting place and once IN the resting place.)

For me...losing the 300 gallons of fuel isn't a big deal except the weeks where I'm trying to travel every week more than 300 miles and I need to refuel a bit more often...but once a week to add 100 gallons or so is hardly a big deal .... the extra storage space and access in the engine room has really been nice.

Tanks

Need to put some new tanks in my 34' chb. Cut the old ones out and pulled them out the hatch that used to be for the generator. The hatch the new tanks have to go into is 28"x22"x28" deep. From what I have been seeing I know I can get a 40 gallon poly tank in there. probably end up with 4 or so of them in the end I don't need more than that really. Just wondered if anyone had any good suggestions on manufacturer or types of tanks I should look at. I'd like to hear some of "wish I would have/should have done" type things. Thanks for all the info you guys throw out here.

This tank reference I mentioned earlier is Americantanks.net. The owner is Vince ???? AND he is located in San Diego, CA. As far as I am concerned there is no other tank company and my neighbors who have seen my tanks all agree that they have never seen a fab. job as professional as my tanks. Reasonable and fair in price also. Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm more than likely going poly as I am spending enough money on this rehab as it is, cheaper is better at this point.

This tank reference I mentioned earlier is Americantanks.net. The owner is Vince ???? AND he is located in San Diego, CA. As far as I am concerned there is no other tank company and my neighbors who have seen my tanks all agree that they have never seen a fab. job as professional as my tanks. Reasonable and fair in price also. Bob

How big was your job and what did they charge you?

Thank you,

Taras

I'm a little late with my option but I figured I would post for informational purpose. I had two of my 250gallon tanks replaced for a cost of about 5k. $10/gallon. Which is high but the gauge was heavier than most. I had a lot more room to remove the tanks than most.
img_218561_0_aa2ac60a7d81565ef7c1f6e158ab99b8.jpg

Refitting with polly boxes for fuel works fine , but none will have a proper sump .

A new day FUEL tank can solve this problem and keep the fuel and water seperate , and if mounted as a gravity tank can solve other problems at the same time.

When doing up grades , the more work , hassle and effort you can build OUT is worth the slight extra time & effort.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom