View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #86
Xsbank
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Hello Eric, to be honest, the rode was so worn out and the hydraulic fluid was black so all I've verified is the operation. I have changed all the hydraulic oil and filter (30 litres) and have run all the systems. I have put on 300' of 3/4" double but it's too much for the drum. I am waiting for a friend to deliver my 100' of 5/16" high test before I cut off 100' of rope. So my experience with this windlass is non-existent. This week was training for myself and my wife as she has never used a hydraulic winch and I want her to stand well out of the way and be safe.

Now it's snowing so we can't get to the slip.

I may put on 20' of 1/2" as well as the anchor is a bit light. It's about 45# and I really need 60 or more. Haven't found one yet.

I should mention that when I removed the chain guard, the chain was badly rusted and largely useless. I had to replace it and all you can get is normal chain, no 316! So I lathered it in LPS. It might need serious grease but I am afraid it will fling it all off. Have a close look at your chain before you use it and be aware of how vulnerable it is for corrosion.