Lining a dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Back in 1977 I shipped my Land Rover from Honolulu to Oakland, California (and back) for a six week campling/fishing/canoeing trip to the Yukon Territory with a good friend* who drove out from Virginia.* While we were in Whitehorse, YT, we visited a museum of sorts that had photos taken during the Klondike gold rush of people lining big homemade skiffs and rafts loaded with supplies through Miles Canyon and the White Horse Rapids on the Yukon River.

These images have stayed with me all these years, and when a couple of years ago we were faced with the dilema of getting our Livingston dinghy back up a very shallow "stream" that was actually salt water flowing from one bay into a large lagoon, the memory of those photos paid off.

We had drifted through down the "stream" with the incoming tide, having been assured by other people that we would be able to motor back out when the water rose and the tide turned and the "stream" flowed the other way.* This was true, but the tide wasn't going to reach its maximum height, let alone turn, for several hours and we didn't want to wait.* So how to get the dinghy back up the "stream" that was too shallow to motor or row?

That's when I remembered the photos of the White Horse Rapids.* So I did what they had done in 1898.* I attached one of the dinghy's long mooring/beaching lines to the bow eye and the other to a lifting eye we had installed halfway back along the port gunwale.

By adjusting the lengths of the two lines, you can use the force of the water against the side and keel(s) of the boat to position the dinghy anywhere you want in the stream.* Pull the back in a bit and the current will push the dinghy away from you into deeper water.* Let the back out (or pull the bow in) and the current will ease the dinghy in toward you.* Once the dinghy is where you want it you can hold it there with the current while you pull the dinghy ahead.* Adjusting the lines lets you keep it in the deepest water or avoid rocks by "steering" the dinghy around them.

This will only work with a hardhshell dinghy with vertical sides.* Having some sort of keel makes it work even better.* After we got our dinghy up we tried the same technique with our friend's inflatable.* It didn't work at all because the water simply slid underneath it--- there's nothing for the water to push against.* Some people with an RIB tried it, too, and that didn't work very well either for the same reason.* But if you have a hardshell wtih vertical or near-vertical sides it's a great way to control a dinghy if you have to move either direction it through shallow, fast water like this.

Attachments

• lining.jpg
    lining.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 96
You got it. Our somewhat optimistic friends said that the tide would come in and turn a lot faster than it did. We managed to get down the "creek" using oars and only bumped a few times, but it was pretty obvious it was going to be a bunch of hours before the flow went the other way. Hence the lining idea.

Ha!
I was in there this summer, in my 750 lb inflatable with a 40 Honda on the back. Until 2 strong teenage boys came along I didn't have a hope of getting out before high water.

Very good Marin,You've got to stay upstream and keep from fall'in over backwards. Great trick Marin and yo've got the perfect picture to show us all how to do it. Some tiny ferries crossing rivers use that same principal to "power" their ferries across by turning the hull(s) a bit sideways to the current. I remember one on the Skena R near Hazelton but that was a long time ago.

nomadwilly wrote:Some tiny ferries crossing rivers use that same principal to "power" their ferries across by turning the hull(s) a bit sideways to the current. I remember one on the Skena R near Hazelton but that was a long time ago.
Some big ferries, too.* A number of years ago I and my film crew and our truck crossedt the Danube River in Austria on a big ferry that rode on a tether from a heavy overhead cable atrung across the river. The helmsman used a huge wheel that controlled a pair of "sweeps" off the stern of the ferry to angle it so the current would move it back and forth across the river.* This thing held about 15 vehicles including busses and commercial trucks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom