We need a generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps someday soon the noisemakers purchasers will desire the efficiency that is common in Honda gas units.

These make only enough electric to meet the load , and run the engine at only the rpm required to produce the electric.

1800-3600 doesnt change a thing efficiency wise if less than full power is required.

Sad but the Yachyies are paying big bucks for 50+ year old tech.

These make only enough electric to meet the load ,

and run the engine at only the rpm required to produce the electric.

It is the abiliry to lower the RPM and load the noisemaker engine harder , to run more efficiently (and perhaps quieter) with a longer service life that counts.

All good advice. I will add, that if you are not doing your own work, the cost of installing a generator from scratch will be very close to the cost of the generator. So obviously you will do your due diligence, but plan on a solid $4-6k for the labor and parts to install. That figure is a WAG but just to give you a heads up. If you think of all that is involved with an install you will realize that is not just "bolt the thing in and start it up". There are a lot of extra parts(plumbing, wiring,etc.) that require a lot of hours to install...not to mention some potential "re-engineering"....FYI.

I priced an install on my last boat with a NextGen 3.5(Mainship OEM). The generator was $4100. The total estimate for the turnkey install.....$8k. This is with a reputable installer(i.e. maybe more expensive than some). You may be able to find a hack to do it for less....but just realize you generally get what you pay for.

Have you considered moving into the world of generators one small step at a time? As others previously have suggested, I'd recommend you think about investing around $850 in a 2000 watt little Honda. Reliable, efficient, cheap and quiet. No need for fancy wiring. Just plug your shore power chord into the front of the Honda using a pig-tail adapter. See how that works out for you. If the Honda doesn't cut it, pick up a built-in genset of 6-8K watts, then you'll have the Honda as a backup for those times when your AC needs are small. In addition to our Honda, we have an 8Kw Kohler built-in. I'd put it middle of the road for reliability v. cost. No complaints after 1000 + hours. But most of the time while on the hook, the little 2Kw Honda we have does yeoman duty at a fraction of the cost in purchase price and fuel. Good luck.

I have a Northern Lights and it is reliable and not too noisy. I run it off and on but particularly when cruising in hot weather to keep the sedan cool. For a few days two years ago when the marina lost power, I ran it steady. It was decent but I spun the boat around to make sure the exhaust was not trapped.
I used to carry a small old Honda for backup. It was OK but last year I switched to a newer Hyundai 1000 - lighter quieter and cleaner AC It is for emergencies if nothing starts. I almost never use it except to test it occasionally but I do like it and carry it on the swim platform along with the outboard for the dinghy and two gallons of gas as I do not want these gas items bouncing around unseen and unventilated below the cockpit floor.

I also have a CO alarm

Have you considered moving into the world of generators one small step at a time? As others previously have suggested, I'd recommend you think about investing around $850 in a 2000 watt little Honda. Reliable, efficient, cheap and quiet. No need for fancy wiring. Just plug your shore power chord into the front of the Honda using a pig-tail adapter. See how that works out for you. If the Honda doesn't cut it, pick up a built-in genset of 6-8K watts, then you'll have the Honda as a backup for those times when your AC needs are small. In addition to our Honda, we have an 8Kw Kohler built-in. I'd put it middle of the road for reliability v. cost. No complaints after 1000 + hours. But most of the time while on the hook, the little 2Kw Honda we have does yeoman duty at a fraction of the cost in purchase price and fuel. Good luck.

We do the same - main gen is a 8kw 3600rpm ONAN which is loud and unreliable. Honda 2k always starts and runs like nobody's business. And we use the Honda as a backup power supply for our house via a transfer switch in case of power failures. The best thing about these little units is that if you don't like it, you can sell it for just about what you paid for it.

Do you need air conditioning?
If not a bigger alternator coupled with a propane stove & efficient refrig may meet your needs.
I personally don't like the idea of storing several gas containers and manually refueling a portable generator every couple of hours.

As for a recommendation; my westerbeke has lasted 15 years with only a water pump change.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input. We are leaning toward a 5.5k Westerbeke at this point. I've been told we are in the $12-14k range for everything. Our power needs are low and we have lots of batteries. We will also need to build a fuel distribution manifold as a previous owner "simplified" everything when the previous generator was removed. The port tank goes to the port engine, starboard tank to the starboard engine. There is nothing else there.

Mine is plumbed that way from the factory as well. That's pretty typical of 70's era boats.

They put a "T" on the Starboard engine primary filter inlet and the generator draws fuel from that point to it's own set of filters which are mounted on the front of the generator. The four fuel tanks have a crossover connection to keep the fuel levels equal. It seems to have worked fine for the last 35+ years, so I've left it alone.

The four fuel tanks have a crossover connection to keep the fuel levels equal.

Yeah ... we don't have anything fancy like that. Just a line from a tank to an engine (through appropriate filters). So we can't equalize the fuel levels or divert fuel from one tank to both engines. That flexibility would be nice and now seems like a good time to do it.

Borrow a Honda from someone . and cruise with it for a month.

Hang it off a davit , or put it in the dink astern,while air cond on the hook, no noise.

You will be surprised!

Yeah ... we don't have anything fancy like that. Just a line from a tank to an engine (through appropriate filters). So we can't equalize the fuel levels or divert fuel from one tank to both engines. That flexibility would be nice and now seems like a good time to do it.

I run a 5kw, and with both hvac on the draw is about 2kw. In that mode it burns about 1gal in three hours. So I just plumbed it to one tank with no switching valves. When cruising, we only run the gennie a couple hours here and there so fuel burn and tank management is not an issue. Only time it runs continuous is anchored in cold weather and the hvac units are not super effective.

On the main engine, it can draw from either tank or both using four ball valves. If needed to transfer fuel, supply from one and return to the other (but pay attention to level!!). With twin engines, it takes more valves.

Last edited:
.......Folks that do not have generators do not realize the world of independance a generator brings to the table........ .

I think it depends on the size and type of boat, the general use of the boat, and the climate it's normally used in. Many folks get along just fine with batteries and inverters. On a 50' boat, a genset would be expected. On one in the 30' range, it would be optional.

If you believe you need a genset, then you need a genset. If you can do most everything you want to in boating without one, that's $10K and a lot of room and maintenance saved.

Or less than $1000, about the size of a small duffle bag and almost zero maintenance/costs over a decade or two.

People have been using small portable generators using common sense and a few safety precautions for decades. I have read far more CO stories from other sources and installed gensets than I have about portable ones.

Installed ones are great...portable ones are a good alternative....if AC power is desired and other means are not your cup of tea....

But cost and safety aren't the major factors some would make them out to be.

:thumb::thumb:

I think it depends on the size and type of boat, the general use of the boat, and the climate it's normally used in. Many folks get along just fine with batteries and inverters. On a 50' boat, a genset would be expected. On one in the 30' range, it would be optional.

If you believe you need a genset, then you need a genset. If you can do most everything you want to in boating without one, that's $10K and a lot of room and maintenance saved.

Agreed!

We ran our 28' and our 34' boats for over a decade with just a honda, which BTW was a almost necessity, but because of our climate. We run diesel heat on our boats in Alaska, and a diesel heater will drain down a moderate sized house bank overnight.

What we found, moving to a 50' boat is that a reliable quiet generator is a necessity, but our boats systems are designed around it. We don't consider a generator an extravagence, its just part of, as you indicated a normal part of this size boat.

As far as fuel managment, our boat uses the KISS system.

Each engine has a dedicated tank.

The generator and the diesel furnaces run off of the starboard tank.

We have a factory installed fuel transfer pump that runs between the port and starboard tanks to move fuel if need be.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input. We are leaning toward a 5.5k Westerbeke at this point. I've been told we are in the $12-14k range for everything. Our power needs are low and we have lots of batteries. We will also need to build a fuel distribution manifold as a previous owner "simplified" everything when the previous generator was removed. The port tank goes to the port engine, starboard tank to the starboard engine. There is nothing else there.

Just to muddy the waters, another option that hasn't been mentioned is a DC generator that would cost half of what the Westerbeke will cost. I installed one in my boat last year for about 6 grand. It has a 200 Amp alternator and I plumbed it to heat hot water so in 2 hours of run time I have almost fully charged batteries and a tank full of hot water. This all lasts me 2 days at anchor,

Aquamarine, Inc -

Before my MyTGen, I had a Honda 2000. I don't understand why people call it quiet. It is quiet if you don't have much load on it, but it my case, I had to run it at full power and it was embarrassing for me to run it in a quiet anchorage. Even the birds flew away when I started it up.

That's a great choice!! If I were to replace my 7.5 kw Onan, that would be my first choice.

Won't take you long to appreciate having a generator, just gives you so many more options.

I've had Westerbeke gens on 2 boats and have gotten excellent service from both, I would guess your going to be very happy with your choice.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kohler (I think).

Ours is 8 kW, 3-cylinder Yanmar at 1800 RPMs, quiet.. and even quieter in it's own sound shield. The soundbox doors come off to provide easy access to the service side (front) and decent access to top and both sides.

Their current ads say XX% more efficient now, and YY% smaller, yaddy yaddy yadda...

Not a recommendation, just an observation.

-Chris

Gallery and Westerbeke, that is a good combination. But no more Westy red?

With your lack of true need for a noisemaker , my estimate is the all up cost over the next decade , buy , install, fuel ,maintain , service, will be close to $100 an hour for its operation..

A noisemaker might >add value< to a boat that can not exist with out one,, air cond on the hook all summer , but for most its just another thing to have to service.

With no real need for a noisemaker , the portable is still your best choice.

If you develop a need >build it they will come< after the small unit has given up the ghost with 2000-300hours of service , the choice for an installed unit could still be made.

Once $14K is gone ,20 noisemaker hours a year will be a long time to justify the co$t.

Resale ? only in dreams ,

PAINT sells the boat , usually decluttering and a good scrub will do more towards selling than a rusty hunk of iron in the bilge.

Last edited:
To me, being able to take hot showers is good enough reason to have a generator.

One big benefit for the OP here is that his GB42 will be easier to sell when he needs to. I would never buy a big boat without one.

FF, did you ever consider that portable generators might be too ghetto for some people? And as far as cost, heck, some people spend more on a wrist watch.

To me, being able to take hot showers is good enough reason to have a generator. One big benefit for the OP here is that his GB42 will be easier to sell when he needs to. I would never buy a big boat without one. FF, did you ever consider that portable generators might be too ghetto for some people? And as far as cost, heck, some people spend more on a wrist watch.
Exacly, I'm on the generator bandwagon. We run it where ever we go. Hot showers and AC!

With your lack of true need for a noisemaker , my estimate is the all up cost over the next decade , buy , install, fuel ,maintain , service, will be close to $100 an hour for its operation..

Resale ? only in dreams ,

PAINT sells the boat , usually decluttering and a good scrub will do more towards selling than a rusty hunk of iron in the bilge.

Yup, tax time makes me feel bad too. :banghead:

A new boat toy or two is just the tonic for curing the IRS blues. :)

How about a new genset - done! :thumb:

The name Phasor often crops up when looking at generator manufacturers. I have a 6.5Kw Phasor and it seems to be quite well made. It is basically a 3-cylinder Kubota diesel driving a Newage generator. Phasor's main input seems to be marinizing the engine. After several years in production, it is surprising that neither parts diagram nor workshop manual are available - the Phasor literature stops at installation and servicing instructions. These things take on a heightened significance if you live in the Caribbean, or anywhere else somewhat off the beaten path. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but worth keeping in mind.

If I am wrong about either the parts diagram or workshop manual, please let me know how I can get hold of one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom