Large Fuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Ranson

Vessel Name
Cork
Vessel Make
Halvorsen GC32
I have not had anything like this (panel to right of battery switches in attached) on my previous boats. I have breaker boxes as first in line with shore power system and I think this fuse box ? is next in line before charger. Does it require maintenance?
My boat is a 2004 Halvorsen 32GC.

image.jpg

Do you have a 3 phase generator?

I have a small Onan. Those are HRC fuses it looks like. I just assumed that they had to do with the shore power.

All cables are supposed to be fused to protect the cable. Those are large probably so you can run start current through them.

It's very curious. If you zoom into the image you can see they are rated for 300A which suggests they are for high power DC devices like a davit, thruster, inverter, etc. But the warning sticker says to turn off AC power. I think you'll need to trace the cables, or put volt meter on them and see what you get.

I do not have an inverter. I do have a bow thruster and a windlass.

I have not had anything like this (panel to right of battery switches in attached) on my previous boats. I have breaker boxes as first in line with shore power system and I think this fuse box ? is next in line before charger. Does it require maintenance?
My boat is a 2004 Halvorsen 32GC.

View attachment 27605

Fuses do not require routine maintenance but you might want to carry spares or at least one spare if they are all the same value.

If you can't figure out what they protect, remove them one at a time and see what doesn't work. Make sure you disconnect the power first. If there is actually 120 (or 240) volts AC on these circuits, having a marine electrician determine what they are there for is probably the best plan.

High value fuses may protect the wiring to the bow thruster and windlass.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom