Pump for Garmin GHC10 autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacques

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
"Côte de Nuits"
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
I have a MarineTrader 36 Sundeck (1987 ) with an old autopilot Cetrek 737 that no longer works . The company is faillitte and parts are very hard to find.
The identified problem : Distribution Box Model 930 617 transistors or other faulty electronic component .
The other components of the system to be verified : Control Unit (2), Rudder Reference Unit, Microprocessor Fluxgate Sensor and Hydraulic Pump are in working order .
After several months of unsuccessful searches to find replacement parts or a complete distribution box , I decided to replace my system with a Garmin GHC10 seems to work well on my type of boat at a reasonable cost .
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/autopilots/ghp-10-marine-autopilot-system/prod13192.html

If someone had the same kind of problem , I would like to know if it is possible to keep the existing pump and adjust to install a Garmin GHC10?
The price of a pump Garmin 2 liter is about $800.00 !

All information that can help me on this subject are welcome.

I have a MarineTrader 36 Sundeck (1987 ) with an old autopilot Cetrek 737 that no longer works . The company is faillitte and parts are very hard to find. The identified problem : Distribution Box Model 930 617 transistors or other faulty electronic component . The other components of the system to be verified : Control Unit (2), Rudder Reference Unit, Microprocessor Fluxgate Sensor and Hydraulic Pump are in working order . After several months of unsuccessful searches to find replacement parts or a complete distribution box , I decided to replace my system with a Garmin GHC10 seems to work well on my type of boat at a reasonable cost . https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-...ghp-10-marine-autopilot-system/prod13192.html If someone had the same kind of problem , I would like to know if it is possible to keep the existing pump and adjust to install a Garmin GHC10? The price of a pump Garmin 2 liter is about $800.00 ! All information that can help me on this subject are welcome.
Yes you have to have their pump.

pumps are usually sized to the ram that moves the rudder (s)...usually the pump is just a hydraulic pump with a 12V (whatever voltage the system runs on) red/black feed.

if the pump is large enough and the AP computer provides enough amperage to drive it or at least a relay that can drive the pump from a separate feed...then I don't see why any pump has to be special....

it might also depend on your steering system as some need special junction blocks because of a fluid return line if the system has it.

once you have a good idea what you want to do..if still unsure call for tech advice.

pumps are usually sized to the ram that moves the rudder (s)...usually the pump is just a hydraulic pump with a 12V (whatever voltage the system runs on) red/black feed. if the pump is large enough and the AP computer provides enough amperage to drive it or at least a relay that can drive the pump from a separate feed...then I don't see why any pump has to be special.... it might also depend on your steering system as some need special junction blocks because of a fluid return line if the system has it. once you have a good idea what you want to do..if still unsure call for tech advice.
I believe garmin has their own proprietary pump with connectors.

I use the same pump but with all Garmin. It has a hight amp consume but works fast

I use the same pump but with all Garmin. It has a hight amp consume but works fast
What exactly do you want? Do you have a Garmin autopilot? If yes, what model?

I believe garmin has their own proprietary pump with connectors.

They all sell proprietary pumps, made by some 3rd party pump maker ...

....but that doesn't mean it won't work..after all the steering ram isn't proprietary...it just takes steering fluid pushed somehow into it.

after looking up the install manual...it does look like Garmin has a proprietary built in rudder feedback on it's pump...I have no idea how it works or whether a separate feedback could be adapted. It's not really the pump that's different...it's the integrated feedback so you don't have to run another wire...convenient unless you have a perfectly good pump sized correctly for your ram and now they make you buy a new pump unless you and/or friends get into electronic signals engineering and splice in the old rudder feedback too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom