Cure for a too small boat ... extend it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are many pleasure boats out there that have been extended over the years. Seems to me that especially a lot of Hatteras but also many others.

I have a friend whose shop does a LOT of truck extensions for local hot-shot work.

If it's made of metal, it can be welded and so it can lengthened...

Dang, they lengthened that ship almost twice what the length of my boat is to begin with.

Amazing that they could engineer that mid section so everything fit together inside the ship.

Pretty interesting.

The complexity of the plumbing, electrical, sewage, yada, yada, yada, would be ridiculous vs. the minimal electrical and fuel/brakes of a truck. Add the structural integrity issues of a vessel in rough seas and wow!

The USCG added to their Island Class cutters (IIRC), and after a few years, started having integrity issues with the added sections. I forget what the corrections costs were, but it wasn't cheap!

I wonder what it cost to add the mid section to that cruise ship compared to building a new one?

Very cool video.

Thanks,

OD

The USCG added to their Island Class cutters (IIRC), and after a few years, started having integrity issues with the added sections. I forget what the corrections costs were, but it wasn't cheap!

Are those sitting in the Curtis Bay CG Yard now? I pass by there occasionally on the way to a favorite waterfront watering hole and see a bunch of cutters parked in the back. I think they were taken out of commission and a lot of finger pointing went on between the contractor and the CG about who screwed up. But I may be confusing this with another issue.

Are those sitting in the Curtis Bay CG Yard now? I pass by there occasionally on the way to a favorite waterfront watering hole and see a bunch of cutters parked in the back. I think they were taken out of commission and a lot of finger pointing went on between the contractor and the CG about who screwed up. But I may be confusing this with another issue.

No idea, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom